Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Trading Laine to give ice time to kids sounds good but there's no team that will just give draft picks for him, he'll return at least one NHL player with a high salary (maybe not as high as his) because a team just can't absorb that cap hit in season. Maybe the off season if a team can't get a free agent they want. Retaining him down to five or six million might get that team to bite.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

"Last Tuesday’s game against Los Angeles was “High School Hockey Night” with the Blue Jackets, the annual game where local prep teams are given discounted tickets and their captains are honored in a pregame ceremony. For many years now, the captains have been introduced in Nationwide Arena and skated into place along the red line for the national anthems. But this year, four hours before the 7 p.m. faceoff, the NHL notified Columbus that so many players (35) with skates would not be allowed on the ice pregame because of concerns for ice conditions. So the captains were brought together and honored on the scoreboard during a mid-game TV timeout. The Blue Jackets and NHL will have further discussions about the event going forward, according to a spokesman."

This is just now an issue to worry about? it's like the league is just searching for insignificant things to make an issue about and control.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I personally believe Laine is not happy at all after getting scratched
And I personally believe I'm glad. What I want to see is someone who owns his shit and elevates his game in response.

"Last Tuesday’s game against Los Angeles was “High School Hockey Night” with the Blue Jackets, the annual game where local prep teams are given discounted tickets and their captains are honored in a pregame ceremony. For many years now, the captains have been introduced in Nationwide Arena and skated into place along the red line for the national anthems. But this year, four hours before the 7 p.m. faceoff, the NHL notified Columbus that so many players (35) with skates would not be allowed on the ice pregame because of concerns for ice conditions. So the captains were brought together and honored on the scoreboard during a mid-game TV timeout. The Blue Jackets and NHL will have further discussions about the event going forward, according to a spokesman."

This is just now an issue to worry about? it's like the league is just searching for insignificant things to make an issue about and control.
That problem would be easy to solve. 5 guys skate onto the ice, they skate off. Do that 6 more times. Never more than 5 high school players on the ice.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
And I personally believe I'm glad. What I want to see is someone who owns his shit and elevates his game in response.

That problem would be easy to solve. 5 guys skate onto the ice, they skate off. Do that 6 more times. Never more than 5 high school players on the ice.

Or put down a rug and let them walk out.

Reactions: NotWendell

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Trivia question:

How many games in the postseason did Riley Nash play for the Blue Jackets?

How about Dean Kukan?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Trivia question:

How about Dean Kukan?

My recollection of Nash is him hanging over the boards in Tampa not giving a **** about Hedman's poor excuse for trash talking. So he was here in 2019, I want to say for all 10 playoff games, but I can't remember as I know we rotated out a healthy scratch (Wennberg, Dzingel at least) and then Texier played a bit. I think he was there in The Bubble as well, which was 10 games.

So I think he was on the roster for 20 postseason games and I don't recall any major injuries at the time. I know that 4th line in 2019 featured a lot of him, Dubinsky, Jenner, and maybe Foligno or Josh Anderson? I'll guess 18 games and that he got healthy scratched a couple times.

Kukan was here for several of those playoff seasons but he bounced back and forth to Cleveland some. I can't remember if he had any major injuries during the playoffs. I remember him scoring a big goal in Game 5 against Boston. In addition to the 20 games from 2019&2020, 2018 was six games but I'm not remembering him in that Washington series.

I will guess 20 games for Kukan.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My recollection of Nash is him hanging over the boards in Tampa not giving a **** about Hedman's poor excuse for trash talking. So he was here in 2019, I want to say for all 10 playoff games, but I can't remember as I know we rotated out a healthy scratch (Wennberg, Dzingel at least) and then Texier played a bit. I think he was there in The Bubble as well, which was 10 games.

So I think he was on the roster for 20 postseason games and I don't recall any major injuries at the time. I know that 4th line in 2019 featured a lot of him, Dubinsky, Jenner, and maybe Foligno or Josh Anderson? I'll guess 18 games and that he got healthy scratched a couple times.

Kukan was here for several of those playoff seasons but he bounced back and forth to Cleveland some. I can't remember if he had any major injuries during the playoffs. I remember him scoring a big goal in Game 5 against Boston. In addition to the 20 games from 2019&2020, 2018 was six games but I'm not remembering him in that Washington series.

I will guess 20 games for Kukan.

You are closer than I was.

I won't spoil the number in case more folks want to guess.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like the Riley Nash entry because it fits the category of "player nobody gave a crap about when he was here, but would be useful on this team". I wonder who else fits that.

Reactions: koteka

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I like the Riley Nash entry because it fits the category of "player nobody gave a crap about when he was here, but would be useful on this team". I wonder who else fits that.

I always thought Edmonton could have used him. He could have eaten up 14 minutes per night when nothing happened. I mean their entire strategy was have their pp outscore the rest of the game, they should have tried to minimize scoring when they weren’t on the power play.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'll take Vinny "point at the scoreboard" Prospel.

Prospal is working his way up the North American coaching ladder as an assistant at Rochester (AHL).

He's got a lot of experience as a head coach in Europe and he rarely asks to look at players phones. Will be interesting to see if he ever makes the NHL as a coach.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Trivia question:

How about Dean Kukan?

i think nash was on the roster for 20 playoff games so i'm gonna guess 18 (i think he was healthy scratched in some of them), unless you don't count the bubble toronto series in which case i'll guess 13.

for kukan… he definitely wasn't in the lineup the whole time. i remember he scored a sick goal against boston in the second round, went bar-down with a clapper. i don't know if he got games vs pittsburgh in 2017 but i think he did against washington in 2018, so… i'm gonna guess 12.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
so Erik Gudbranson is just Jan Hejda but taller, in theory :sarcasm:
trouble.gif

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Definitely.

That and Gus "only scores empty netters" Nyquist. We could really use both.
Could use Voracek on this young roster really bad, if only to provide a good locker room presence. Or a Hartnell type, his leadership/presence in the locker room was worth his weight in gold.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I always thought Edmonton could have used him. He could have eaten up 14 minutes per night when nothing happened. I mean their entire strategy was have their pp outscore the rest of the game, they should have tried to minimize scoring when they weren’t on the power play.

I made that case to Oilers fans several times.

Back then the situation was much worse, they had bottom sixers getting outscored 5-1. And fans still argued that the problem was that the bottom sixers weren't scoring enough. Now they have guys like Ryan Mcleod and Derek Ryan who are much better defenders.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Trivia Question
Rick Nash and Jake Voracek had great NHL careers. Which number is the largest gap comparing the two forwards:

A) The difference in their draft selection (ex. 34OA vs 57OA)
B) The difference in the total number of (Regular Season) NHL games played
C) The difference in total number of (Regular Season) points scored

Feel free to share guesses for the values of A,B,C.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad