Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Regarding Friedman's comments that we're looking for a center:

For a couple episodes now it has been Jeff Marek saying "Laine at center looks pretty damn good!" and Friedman, who presumably isn't watching us, is basically like "Laine at center? Yeah sure Jeff".

It seems to me that Friedman is just repeating what he heard before camp about the Jackets shopping for a center. I don't think there is any new information that we're in play for a center. If I remember correctly he initially framed it as "even with Fantilli the Jackets are looking for a center", no mention of Laine at all.

Not that we wouldn't want a top center but it would cost a massive amount of assets and be a huge commitment. Our willingness to pay that cost has surely gone down in the last couple weeks.

That willingness might go back up if Laine flames out, but so far he legit looks like a 1C and we're going to see how that goes.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
PLD finally opens up on why he asked out:
What drove Dubois out of Columbus, though?Dubois’ Blue Jackets career peaked during the 2020 postseason bubble. He was a dominant physical force in the qualifying round against Toronto, scoring a hat trick in Game 3 — including the winner in overtime — that put the Maple Leafs on the brink of elimination. Dubois was a force against Tampa Bay in the next round, too, and finished his postseason with 10 points in 10 games. To a casual observer, it looked like Dubois had arrived as a presence in the NHL.
Less than six months later, Dubois played one of the most disinterested-looking shifts in recent memory, getting himself benched against the Lightning. Tortorella blew up at Dubois for his lack of effort, leading to Dubois’ eventual trade to Winnipeg.
But the seeds for Dubois’ exit were planted over a year before that shift. When he was 20, Dubois was part of a team meeting that made a massive impression on how he viewed his career.

It was September 2018. The Blue Jackets’ two biggest stars, Artemi Panarin and Sergei Bobrovsky, had just informed the team that they would both pursue free agency when that season was over. Columbus’ first meeting of the year was a team-wide heart-to-heart about Panarin’s and Bobrovsky’s futures.

“It was eye-opening,” Dubois says. “There was so much honesty. A lot of courage. Everybody was saying what was on their mind. Then, at the end of the meeting, it’s, ‘All right, we have one goal and it’s to win. Everybody’s on board? Yeah! Now we go to work.’”

Even as the Blue Jackets held on to them past the trade deadline during a playoff push, Panarin and Bobrovsky were true to their word. In July 2019, Panarin left Columbus for the New York Rangers; Bobrovsky signed in Florida.

But not before the Blue Jackets swept the 128-point, Presidents’ Trophy-winning Tampa Bay Lightning. Panarin and Bobrovsky declared their intentions and Dubois watched as his team came together despite the outside noise. That left a mark.
Even though a part of him hoped to sign a long-term extension the summer Panarin and Bobrovsky left Columbus, Dubois admits it never seemed realistic. Contract negotiations didn’t begin in earnest until 2020, before the postseason bubble. Then came Dubois’ monstrous performance against Toronto, his encore against Tampa Bay and the realistic expectation that his contract price had gone up.

There was also the matter of Columbus’ rebuild.

“I was looking at where I was in my career and where the team was going,” Dubois says. “I thought the most probable outcome would have been a three-year deal. That’s where it was going. Then I thought, after Year 3, what happens? Because then you’re one year away from free agency. I thought, ‘I’ve never really been able to decide where I want to play.’ I was still young so it was fine but I also knew that we were going to be in a rebuild for those three years.”

He says he saw the writing on the wall. The team was heading for a rebuild with or without him.

“That’s where the team was going and where they eventually went,” Dubois says. It was an idea he couldn’t get behind, so he signed a two-year contract in December 2020, getting himself to within two years of UFA status.

“To me, it was, ‘You only have one career. You only live once,’” he says. “If we’re rebuilding and not making the playoffs for the three years that I’m here, it’s going to be tough and frustrating.”

What about Tortorella?

“Torts and I had an intense relationship. At times, he went home and hated me. At times, I went home and hated him. But we were two competitors that both wanted to win and he knew that and I knew that. And I was lucky enough to grow up with a father that was a hockey coach and he told me that you can’t take anything personally because if a coach is pushing you, it’s because he wants you to become the best player that you can be.”

And the public dressing-down Tortorella gave him after that fateful final shift?

“If you didn’t play a sport or didn’t have a teacher or maybe even a parent that was really hard on you, you wouldn’t understand how it makes sense to yell at somebody and then, 20 minutes later, shake their hand and say ‘good game.’ But that was the relationship that Torts and I had. I think some people just saw what happened in Toronto, us yelling at each other, and thought we hated each other. Our relationship was complicated but there was always respect there and I think that’s the only thing that really matters.”

So Dubois got his wish. In January 2021, Columbus traded him to Winnipeg, where his dad was an assistant coach with the Manitoba Moose. The Jets gambled that Dubois’ parents’ home cooking would keep him happy. They were right about that.

They were wrong that it would keep him in Winnipeg. Dubois had seen Panarin and Bobrovsky dictate their futures on a team that won anyway. He went from a team on its way to missing the playoffs for three straight years to one that got there twice.

But the idea that he could control his future was firmly implanted.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

This does not pass the smell test as it has been reported by Portzine (and confirmed later when he was with the Jets) that he wanted to to be traded to Montreal. Even with the Jets until the end Montreal was supposedly his top choice. Clearly he wanted to go to Montreal both times, a team that was not even close to being a contender. To me it seems pretty clear that he wanted to go to Montreal and eventually LA for lifestyle reasons (lifestyle being important to him has been reported by the Winnipeg media). He just doesn't want to say that openly because it makes his already shaky reputation look even worse.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
This is like some kid screaming "YOLO" right before they do some dumb shit. What a justification :laugh:

Next time you want to trust your gut Dubois, just don't. You could of used that time to develop and become a top center in the league, now your painted as a prima donna who is difficult to make happy.

Reactions: CBJx614

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Still never explains why he bought an expensive downtown condo right before deciding he wanted out.
Doesn't it, though? If he thought there was a chance to continue playing, buying a house (or condo, in fact, that's even less commitment) probably makes sense. I'm going to guess he might've made a profit on that condo when all is said and done. I don't think it's a big thing in the overall scheme.

I was expecting that there was something "big" behind the scenes or something that had gone awry, but honestly this explanation does satisfy my curiosity and I can believe most of this. The Montreal thing maybe still needs explanation but as for "wanting out of Columbus" this all makes quite a lot of sense (and maybe the relationship with Torts was a bit more intense than he wanted and doesn't want to admit it).

I have trouble interpreting this paragraph though:
PLD said:
“It was eye-opening,” Dubois says. “There was so much honesty. A lot of courage. Everybody was saying what was on their mind. Then, at the end of the meeting, it’s, ‘All right, we have one goal and it’s to win. Everybody’s on board? Yeah! Now we go to work.’
So was this a positive conclusion or negative (as in fake enthusiasm)? I gather that he means it as a positive because the team did come together and won that Toronto series?

I guess I'm the odd one out but it doesn't sound like there's going to be any major revelations coming in the near future. So in my case PR job well done if that's what this was.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
He says he saw the writing on the wall. The team was heading for a rebuild with or without him.

“That’s where the team was going and where they eventually went,” Dubois says. It was an idea he couldn’t get behind, so he signed a two-year contract in December 2020, getting himself to within two years of UFA status.
this kind of stuff is why i hate PLD more than i hate jeff carter.

he's doing this revisionist history BS of saying "well they were totally gonna rebuild no matter what and i didn't want to be around that" when that wasn't actually what was going on.

the framing here suggests that PLD was on the fence about staying until after signing that two-year deal, and that he signed that deal to get closer to UFA.

problem is, that's all patently false. he signed that deal after requesting a trade. the trade request came after he negotiated as an RFA with other teams and after columbus cleared space to match an offer sheet.

obviously he was looking to go to montreal via offer sheet, then the jackets made sure they could match, so he threw a tantrum until they traded him. full stop. that's it.

they weren't planning a tear-down rebuild until after they traded him. without a number one center, it made no sense to keep guys like jones, foligno, savard, atkinson, etc.

once again – this was as PR puff piece, nothing more.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Both Bob and Bread worked their assess off while fulfilling their contracts here. PLD comparing himself to those two is laughable!
"Seeing Bobrovsky and Panarin be honest and up-front about their intentions – and work their tails off to help us make the playoffs – was so inspiring to me," said Dubois, 25, about his time in Columbus. "So, naturally, I decided to not do any of that when I decided I wanted out."

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

Thanks for posting this.

FWIW, I buy it. I can understand a young established player not wanting to go through a tear down and rebuild, like he would have in Columbus.

As far as leaving Winnipeg, once again you have a young wealthy guy. He had a list of teams where he could be traded. He didn't disclose the list. Assuming Montreal was on the list and why wouldn't it be, I suspect he probably had some cities he desired a bit more than others on the list. Certainly Montreal is an international city with great culture, shopping, dining etc. It wouldn't be a stretch to guess he may have had the Rangers or even the Islanders on the list for the same reasons. LA is not just an great place for the things he says he enjoys, it's the glitziest, gamiest city imaginable for a guy in PLD's situation.

Which is a better place for a young single wealthy guy, LA or Winnipeg?

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad