Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
keith-kinkaid-of-the-columbus-blue-jackets-makes-a-glove-save-during-picture-id1133909859..jpg

Been there, done that.

He never actually played in any games for the CBJ.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Thanks for posting this.

FWIW, I buy it. I can understand a young established player not wanting to go through a tear down and rebuild, like he would have in Columbus.

As far as leaving Winnipeg, once again you have a young wealthy guy. He had a list of teams where he could be traded. He didn't disclose the list. Assuming Montreal was on the list and why wouldn't it be, I suspect he probably had some cities he desired a bit more than others on the list. Certainly Montreal is an international city with great culture, shopping, dining etc. It wouldn't be a stretch to guess he may have had the Rangers or even the Islanders on the list for the same reasons. LA is not just an great place for the things he says he enjoys, it's the glitziest, gamiest city imaginable for a guy in PLD's situation.

Which is a better place for a young single wealthy guy, LA or Winnipeg?

the tear-down only happened because he left, though.

this is just PR spin to endear him to LA and try to put all the team-killing stuff behind him. don't take the bait.
He was the high draft pick who was THE BUILDING POINT the team was to be built around for the future. I do agree that we didn't tear it all down and rebuild until he wanted out.

The truth is he doesn't want to be a superstar. He doesn't want to be "the man." He just wants to be a high paid role player on a good team. Columbus offered him the opportunity to be the star player and he didn't want it.

Good riddance.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This isn't about the Jackets or a current or former Blue Jacket, but it is largely about Columbus hockey. Somehow I didn't realize that Treliving is ex-Chill.

He's married to one of my wife's best friends from high school (London). I don't get the impression he's a people person :)

PLD finally opens up on why he asked out:

Still didn't answer the question why he quit on the team and reading the article I don't get the feeling he's any different as a 20 something than he was as a spoiled 3 year old brat. Didn't get his way so he pouted. Fine he wants to go where he wants to go but I don't have any better feeling about him than I did when he ushered himself out of Columbus.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Still didn't answer the question why he quit on the team and reading the article I don't get the feeling he's any different as a 20 something than he was as a spoiled 3 year old brat. Didn't get his way so he pouted. Fine he wants to go where he wants to go but I don't have any better feeling about him than I did when he ushered himself out of Columbus.
I honestly read his explanation to be “YOLO”. And that Bob and Panarin were leaving and he was too old for a rebuild.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
These early season rankings are just like college football... useless. There was enough change with this team that they certainly weren't going to start very high but I think even through 4 games it's clear this team is not last year's team. They still think too much and aren't just reacting or dictating play but there have been more signs of structure and when the skill starts to gel I think they will be just fine. My bold prediction was 7 x 20 goal scorers and a reduction of 60+ goals against. I'm sticking to it and have confidence the improvement will start to be more consistent in another 5-10 games. Then we'll see how they move through the rankings. Last year bias or based on what is shown on the ice this year?

Reactions: CBJx614

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
These early season rankings are just like college football... useless. There was enough change with this team that they certainly weren't going to start very high but I think even through 4 games it's clear this team is not last year's team. They still think too much and aren't just reacting or dictating play but there have been more signs of structure and when the skill starts to gel I think they will be just fine. My bold prediction was 7 x 20 goal scorers and a reduction of 60+ goals against. I'm sticking to it and have confidence the improvement will start to be more consistent in another 5-10 games. Then we'll see how they move through the rankings. Last year bias or based on what is shown on the ice this year?

Power rankings typically reflect current record and the way the ream is trending. San Jose was the only team without a win so they were last. Of the 1 win teams we had looked the worst. We were coming off a 4-0 loss at home. We won last night so on the next power ranking we might move up a couple of spots.

They really don’t reflect much about the future prospects of a team or anything. The are a point in time view.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Power rankings typically reflect current record and the way the ream is trending. San Jose was the only team without a win so they were last. Of the 1 win teams we had looked the worst. We were coming off a 4-0 loss at home. We won last night so on the next power ranking we might move up a couple of spots.

They really don’t reflect much about the future prospects of a team or anything. The are a point in time view.
And more importantly, no national writer is going to look at the actual games played by the bottom third of the rankings that no one cares about. They're looking at win/loss for those teams and focusing on the top teams that people care about. Being ranked below 20th is meaningless for every team lower than that.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

NHL releases it's player data on their player tracking system..

Biggest immediate surprise?!

Werenski has the 3rd fastest speed recorded!?!

Fantilli #10 in speed bursts of 20 mph+

Cool little breakdown of Elvis

1000001520.png

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

NHL releases it's player data on their player tracking system..

Biggest immediate surprise?!

Werenski has the 3rd fastest speed recorded!?!

Fantilli #10 in speed bursts of 20 mph+

Cool little breakdown of Elvis

View attachment 756611
Too small of a sample size right now, but this will be useful to watch once we get past 10 games.

Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad