Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
At the paint the ice STH event today someone asked how many Day 1 STH are left..

Marty Mulford said the last time they checked was last year and there were around 600 Day 1 STH remaining.

I know it's been asked about a time or two around here so figured I'd share.
Hearing there are still that many really undermines every individual one of them who wants to act like they’re the most special for being one.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Why do I never read any anticipation of Greaves stealing a job? He was amazing in the game he played against the Leafs.
Because he’s stuck behind two guys with NHL contracts and has no chance to make the team out of camp unless one of them is injured.
If the goal is to actually win games and he is given an actual chance from both Jarmo and Babcock, I believe this could/will happen.

That said, given the decisions (and apparent evaluations) made regarding the goalies the last few years, I wouldn’t expect it.

1 game or not, he quite clearly looks like a better goalie than the other 2.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Because he’s stuck behind two guys with NHL contracts and has no chance to make the team out of camp unless one of them is injured.

CBJ wouldn't find a way to send Tarasov somewhere or down to the AHL if his job is stolen? I get Elvis but is Tarasov considered that irreplaceable? I am still learning the CBJ system

Reactions: majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
CBJ wouldn't find a way to send Tarasov somewhere or down to the AHL if his job is stolen? I get Elvis but is Tarasov considered that irreplaceable? I am still learning the CBJ system
I suppose anything is possible but I severely doubt it. I think the CBJ really like Tarasov

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Why do I never read any anticipation of Greaves stealing a job? He was amazing in the game he played against the Leafs.
Because hes waiver exempt and Columbus has pretty much set themselves up with the other tandem for now. It was also a single game so we dont know how he will deal with ups and downs yet. Anything is possible though but goalies dont need to be rushed, you are watching the same thing with Woll

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think Jet Greaves has a very real chance to steal a job this year, if there are injuries (likely) and he outplays guys when he gets called up (possible).

Merzlikins-Tarasov are coming in with terrible numbers and they both have been injured often. I'm a little more uncertain whether Jet is that good though. One nice game. Okay. He's been okay in Cleveland. Not as dominant as Woll has been for the Marlies. Maybe Jet takes a step.

Because hes waiver exempt and Columbus has pretty much set themselves up with the other tandem for now. It was also a single game so we dont know how he will deal with ups and downs yet. Anything is possible though but goalies dont need to be rushed, you are watching the same thing with Woll

Yes, he won't be winning a job in camp, he'll have to wait for injuries.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Can camp start already? People are talking themselves into an .899 *AHL* goalie "stealing" an NHL job 😂

Looking at “the numbers”, and nothing else, is what got us into this goalie problem to begin with.

What impact do you think the injuries to the CBJ defense had on the AHL teams defense??

Does Greaves get the same excuses for his defense that Elvis gets from some because of his defense?

Jett is a COOLER name than Elvis anyways!!

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Looking at “the numbers”, and nothing else, is what got us into this goalie problem to begin with.
dismissing 'the numbers' and going all-in on vibes is how you end up with contracts like gudbranson.

it's one thing to poke holes in arguments that are based on advanced stats by providing more context; it's another to act like no number can possibly mean anything whatsoever.

What impact do you think the injuries to the CBJ defense had on the AHL teams defense??

Does Greaves get the same excuses for his defense that Elvis gets from some because of his defense?
valid, but the comparison can't happen in a vacuum.

the blue jackets were a near AHL-quality team last year – not just evidenced in the standings but in the advanced stats (shot share, xG) as well. the monsters, despite having their roster plucked for call-ups every week, were still… a borderline playoff team in the AHL.

even if they had similar circumstances, the blue jackets were at a bigger talent/coaching disadvantage relative to their competition most nights than the monsters were. tim berni is probably going to have a much harder time going against david pastrnak than billy sweezy does going against rocco grimaldi.
Jett is a COOLER name than Elvis anyways!!
we need an official poll on this because i genuinely cannot decide which one i think is cooler

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
In the last 2 years, Greaves has played more games and has a better SV% and GAA than Tarasov.

Greaves “stealing” a spot over either guy, shouldn’t be looked at any different than Tarasov possibly outplaying Merzlikins.

That’s what the “numbers” actually say, anyway.

Reactions: Monstershockey

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I thought Greaves played well in Cleveland. Was he elite? No. But he was good. Better than I expected.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
it was brought up in another thread, but dom's cbj projection is up at the athletic today.

projects them to be a 74 point team, gives them a 1% chance to make the playoffs, but the actual content of the article seems fairer (and less smarmy) than it has been in previous years.

some of the highlights:
  • he actually likes the blue jackets core long-term
  • had laine as the best defensive forward last year
  • said werenski was tracking to be a true 1D before injury last year
  • thinks fantilli will be the eventual #1 forward and that gaudreau and laine would be a good 2-3
  • we know what dom thinks about gudbranson, but he says peeke might be a bigger problem and that both guys playing in the same lineup would be a huge problem
  • really doesn't like kuraly or roslovic either
  • says goaltending and defense are the two biggest problems and isn't confident that there's a clear path for either to be solved to the level that would make the jackets a playoff team this year
i've given dom a lot of shit over the year, but nothing here was particularly surprising or overly harsh imo.

there are a few guys (kj, texier, sillinger, marchenko) who i think will outperform the model. last year i said laine and jenner would significantly outperform the model and both guys did.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
it was brought up in another thread, but dom's cbj projection is up at the athletic today.

projects them to be a 74 point team, gives them a 1% chance to make the playoffs, but the actual content of the article seems fairer (and less smarmy) than it has been in previous years.

some of the highlights:
  • he actually likes the blue jackets core long-term
  • had laine as the best defensive forward last year
  • said werenski was tracking to be a true 1D before injury last year
  • thinks fantilli will be the eventual #1 forward and that gaudreau and laine would be a good 2-3
  • we know what dom thinks about gudbranson, but he says peeke might be a bigger problem and that both guys playing in the same lineup would be a huge problem
  • really doesn't like kuraly or roslovic either
  • says goaltending and defense are the two biggest problems and isn't confident that there's a clear path for either to be solved to the level that would make the jackets a playoff team this year
i've given dom a lot of shit over the year, but nothing here was particularly surprising or overly harsh imo.

there are a few guys (kj, texier, sillinger, marchenko) who i think will outperform the model. last year i said laine and jenner would significantly outperform the model and both guys did.
Didnt really expect any better considering our 1G may have been the worst goalie in the league last season.

The tools to improve are there though. If Elvis can pull out an average starter season and one of our young Dmen breaks out we'll be in a decent position

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad