Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Ideal, just not very likely. Blackouts aren't going away anytime soon.
I beleive what MLB did for the SD Padres (who they took over for Ballys) was charged them an additional monthly fee to get the Padres games. So something like $15/month for all the games and if you're within SD viewing area you had option of paying another $10/month for those.

I hate MLB blackouts. Here in Columbus we can't get the Pirates (Pittsburgh) games. Just makes zero sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I beleive what MLB did for the SD Padres (who they took over for Ballys) was charged them an additional monthly fee to get the Padres games. So something like $15/month for all the games and if you're within SD viewing area you had option of paying another $10/month for those.

I hate MLB blackouts. Here in Columbus we can't get the Pirates (Pittsburgh) games. Just makes zero sense.
I think people in Pittsburgh wish they were blacked out from Pirates games.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Used to be the technology to deliver a broadcast was such that a league or team required a partner whose function it was to do that. Find a broadcaster, partner with them to deliver your games to an audience, everyone makes money.

Tech is such now that leagues - and perhaps even teams - should be, or at least could be, delivering broadcasts themselves. Time to eliminate the middle man. It will feature a little bit of investment up front, but some of that investment will be in hiring people to sell advertising.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Used to be the technology to deliver a broadcast was such that a league or team required a partner whose function it was to do that. Find a broadcaster, partner with them to deliver your games to an audience, everyone makes money.

Tech is such now that leagues - and perhaps even teams - should be, or at least could be, delivering broadcasts themselves. Time to eliminate the middle man. It will feature a little bit of investment up front, but some of that investment will be in hiring people to sell advertising.

I'd like to see proof of concept in the AHL. Those broadcasts look like 1991 technology.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020

Unfortunately, it's going to be MUCH more expensive for the average sports fan to access the games than they are used to. Sports fans have been subsidized by non-sports fans for years through cable packages. The middle man in this case spread the costs out to everyone. It's going to be very challenging for the leagues, teams, and fans going forward to find the right solution.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Unfortunately, it's going to be MUCH more expensive for the average sports fan to access the games than they are used to. Sports fans have been subsidized by non-sports fans for years through cable packages. The middle man in this case spread the costs out to everyone. It's going to be very challenging for the leagues, teams, and fans going forward to find the right solution.
It will be challenging but by the same token the Blue Jackets fan has been purchasing more than just CBJ content with their subscriptions.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Hard to say that as a blanket statement. the NHL partnered with ESPN and now I don't have to pay for Center Ice as a standalone. Adding local teams by removing blackout restrictions should simply be easy.

MLS moved to Apple TV and because I have a T mobile cell phone I get it for free. I also get access to the MLB.tv for free because of T Mobile.

In those cases, advertisers and league sponsors step up to foot the bill

Reactions: MAHJ71 and CBJx614

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

We are about to cancel a couple of services. Disney is jacking up rates in October, so bye bye Disney. My wife is on a week free trial on another service that has a discount for the first year. I am not sure we would keep it past the free trial and I know we won’t keep it for more than a year. Streaming is pretty cool for the first month, but I don’t know that you need to have more than one service at a time. (I am the kind of person who would rather binge watch 4 seasons than be up to date with every show.)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
We are about to cancel a couple of services. Disney is jacking up rates in October, so bye bye Disney. My wife is on a week free trial on another service that has a discount for the first year. I am not sure we would keep it past the free trial and I know we won’t keep it for more than a year. Streaming is pretty cool for the first month, but I don’t know that you need to have more than one service at a time. (I am the kind of person who would rather binge watch 4 seasons than be up to date with every show.)
I think this supports my contention? I've always felt that as consumers are given more alacarte viewing/streaming/subscription options, they'll opt out (not everyone but...) of catch-all services and into more targeted content.

I confess this could be one of those instances where I'm just conflating my own personal stance with the broader public, which almost always proves to be a mistake. But we never had cable or a dish. We went straight from over-the-air/antenna to a fire stick.

Reactions: koteka

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Regarding what MLB is doing for Padres as a reference - again the $74.99 is roughly half the season so would be double that (or so) for full season:

MLB.TV Single Team Padres Subscription
Price: $19.99 per month or $74.99 for the rest of the season.
With this subscription, you can watch all 2023 regular season Padres games, both live and on-demand.
Enjoy the convenience of streaming games directly to your device without any blackouts.
Available for purchase on the MLB.TV website.

Free Streaming Opportunities
Stream Padres games for free through Sunday, June 4 on MLB.TV.
Take advantage of a free seven-day MLB.TV trial to experience the streaming service.

Another option for cordcutters looking to stream local Padres games in 2023 without cable is fuboTV.

fuboTV is currently offering a free 7-day trial.

Streaming Padres games on the MLB App​

The technology is there and the games are being broadcast on the MLB.TV app without cable… but Padres games will be blacked out for the local market. Update: With this new streaming option, MLB is able to lift the blackout for Padres games that were previously distributed on Bally Sports San Diego. However, please be aware that certain regular season, special event, and postseason games may still be subject to blackout restrictions due to Major League Baseball’s national exclusivities.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Regarding what MLB is doing for Padres as a reference - again the $74.99 is roughly half the season so would be double that (or so) for full season:

MLB.TV Single Team Padres Subscription
Price: $19.99 per month or $74.99 for the rest of the season.
With this subscription, you can watch all 2023 regular season Padres games, both live and on-demand.
Enjoy the convenience of streaming games directly to your device without any blackouts.
Available for purchase on the MLB.TV website.

Free Streaming Opportunities
Stream Padres games for free through Sunday, June 4 on MLB.TV.
Take advantage of a free seven-day MLB.TV trial to experience the streaming service.

Another option for cordcutters looking to stream local Padres games in 2023 without cable is fuboTV.

fuboTV is currently offering a free 7-day trial.

Streaming Padres games on the MLB App​

The technology is there and the games are being broadcast on the MLB.TV app without cable… but Padres games will be blacked out for the local market. Update: With this new streaming option, MLB is able to lift the blackout for Padres games that were previously distributed on Bally Sports San Diego. However, please be aware that certain regular season, special event, and postseason games may still be subject to blackout restrictions due to Major League Baseball’s national exclusivities.
Fubo is a great platform, their user interface blows YouTubeTV and Hulu out of the water. But...earlier this year they picked up Bally Sports Ohio (required...not an option) and jacked my rate $20/month. Since I don't watch anything on Bally Sports I am no longer a Fubo subscriber.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
personally speaking at this point I only watch youtube and illegal hockey streams.

i could cancle hulu, netflix, and dinsney+ right now...... but the kids and wife all have a different primary service they watch

I run tests by canceling one and seeing if anyone says something about something not working

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
not sure if this fits better her or in the prospects thread (putting it here since it includes roster players), but pronman's u23 system rankings are being published this week. they've posted #32 through #9, and CBJ hasn't been posted yet. will be interesting to see where they end up being.

of note: boqvist, marchenko, texier and foudy (all 23) are too old for consideration.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
not sure if this fits better her or in the prospects thread (putting it here since it includes roster players), but pronman's u23 system rankings are being published this week. they've posted #32 through #9, and CBJ hasn't been posted yet. will be interesting to see where they end up being.

of note: boqvist, marchenko, texier and foudy (all 23) are too old for consideration.
It's almost definitely Top 5 and at that point you are really splitting hairs (and of course its all just a educated guess).

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

It's almost definitely Top 5 and at that point you are really splitting hairs (and of course its all just a educated guess).

Top-2 and it ain't 2

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Top-2 and it ain't 2
i'd be surprised if they're that high but only because of established NHL guys on some of the other teams. here's who is left:

• anaheim: zegras, mctavish, carlsson, drysdale, mintyukov, zellweger, etc.
  • new jersey: jack hughes, luke hughes, nemec, mercer, holtz
  • ottawa: stutzle, sanderson, pinto, greig, sogaard
  • detroit: raymond, seider, edvinsson, kasper, danielson, wallinder, cossa
  • montreal: caufield, slafkovsky, reinbacher, dach, newhook, mesar, kidney, roy
  • buffalo: power, cozens, benson, quinn, savoie, levi, krebs, kulich, ostlund
  • chicago: bedard, korchinsky, reichel, then a bunch of meh
  • columbus: fantilli, johnson, jiricek, sillinger, chinakhov, mateychuk, svozil, brindley, ceulemans, dumais, voronkov, del bel belluz, etc.

new jersey has the strongest top five, and anaheim is up there as well. buffalo's group is really strong. columbus probably has the second or third best top-three and the most depth overall.

if i had to guess, i think it'll shake out like this:
  1. new jersey
  2. anaheim
  3. columbus
  4. buffalo
  5. detroit
  6. chicago
  7. montreal
  8. ottawa

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
We won't be any higher than five, and I'll be surprised if we're higher than seventh. We were twelfth last year in the same exercise.

1. New Jersey
2. Buffalo
3. Anaheim
4. Detroit
5. Montreal
6. Arizona
7. Columbus
8. Chicago

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Including the 2019 and 2020 drafts will hurt us in this specific rankings right now, but it’s something where our ranking should get better over the next couple years after possibly great 2021, 2022, and 2023 drafts along with a mostly full slate of picks in 2024 and 2025 (only missing one 2nd but owning an extra 3rd). There are a lot of 19-21 year olds in the organization in position to have big years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad