Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

IMG_4757.png

Youngguns1380

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Anything good here?
There were a few interesting points like -

JD said goaltending was bad because our defense was allow too many high danger shots and no goaltender could have made those saves.

JD mentioned that we are now strong at center ice with Fantilli, Jenner, Johnson and Texier. No mention of Sillinger.

JD did probably 2-3 minutes on Babcock and said he has worked his tail off since being hired and reaching out to players.

JD talked about upgrading our backend now with a healthy Z, Provorov, Severson, Gudbranson and Peeke.

After JD dropped the host Boomer was very skeptical about Elvis but did qualify that the AHL defense had some part in it but not all of it (they said Korpi played with that same defense and was very good). They also talked about Laine needs a bounce back and believe if he can stay healthy (40 goals).

Boomer commented that gift of Fantilli to the CBJ was just what the doctor ordered. Boomer watched him his entire career and said he is a gamer and will produce. Boomer told JD that Fantilli has an edge but spent time in the penalty box because of if it but always produced. Then commented easier to have someone dial it back and harder to have them turn it on (JD agreed). JD said he was happy to hear about the edge to his game.

Boomer also commented when JD left that the addition of Babcock was the biggest offseason add saying there is no middle it will go extremely well or won’t work, but sounds like so far it’s going to the former. He also said that Babcock is so detailed and determined that the points Vegas has for the CBJ is 71 points and he feels that they will far exceed that number.

Boomer commented that center ice and goaltending are still deficiencies and the defense is now just above average compared to other Metro teams. He feels center ice with Fantilli and Jenner is not good compared to other Metro Teams. Feels Fantilli will be great but this is his first season. They felt they needed someone else in the 1C or 2C to compete.

They feel Gudreau will have a bounce back this season and the CBJ are a longshot to make the playoffs. They feel they will come out of the gate firing but doubt they can sustain it in the 2nd half of the season.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Anything good here?
I heard part of it. JD was ever the optimist. Very excited to have Babcock and said he has been a workaholic since July 1st. Not much said that I think was unexpected. Loves the D additions and thinks they really needed that to allow the young players to take time in development. Excited for the additions and really harped on the injuries and that there is little chance that level could happen again. Mentioned Fantilli, Boone and still hopes for KJ at center. Said players were really pumped after connecting with Babcock and they are excited.

I was more impressed and excited with the Babcock interview - although this was earlier in the summer. He sounds very energized and, again, said all the right things. This interview was right after he spoke with Z. Mentioned Z, Provo, Severson and Peeke (that caught my attention) as big, mobile D-men that should improve the overall depth and consistency (something to that effect). REally sounds like he's working to connect with players on and off the ice. Said all the right things. Started watching last year's tapes and shut it down and won't go back. Was so bad he didn't think he would gain anything from watchin.

I didn't catch any bombs or "whoa" moments but they both sound ready to roll and know it's still a process but felt no chance they would be in the same position. just having a full roster...

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
There were a few interesting points like -

JD said goaltending was bad because our defense was allow too many high danger shots and no goaltender could have made those saves.

JD mentioned that we are now strong at center ice with Fantilli, Jenner, Johnson and Texier. No mention of Sillinger.

JD did probably 2-3 minutes on Babcock and said he has worked his tail off since being hired and reaching out to players.

JD talked about upgrading our backend now with a healthy Z, Provorov, Severson, Gudbranson and Peeke.

After JD dropped the host Boomer was very skeptical about Elvis but did qualify that the AHL defense had some part in it but not all of it (they said Korpi played with that same defense and was very good). They also talked about Laine needs a bounce back and believe if he can stay healthy (40 goals).
of the 4 points (from JD) I believe 2 of them:
-The backend will be better
-Babcock will be a positive

I don't see center ice as a strength. I think Fantilli will help it in the future for sure, but if he sees that as a strength then I understand more why our roster construction is bad year in and year out.

Also like Boomer - Elvis has a lot to prove. I 100% agree Korpi looked good on same team last year, much more than Elvis. But the defense will be better (Coaching and personnel) so maybe he will just be somewhere between average and below average and not a dumpster fire.

Reactions: Toe Pick

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'm lazy to search, do you know when development camp and classic camp start? Thank you in advance.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I'm lazy to search, do you know when development camp and classic camp start? Thank you in advance.
I haven't seen anything official but:

- I read somewhere that the first games in Traverse City start September 14 (four teams-so lets say 3 games between 9-14 and 9-17)
- The first exhibition game is September 24 against Pittsburgh (split squads)

That's a tight window so players will probably report for main camp on Tuesday or Wednesday September 19 or 20 for physicals and September 20 or 21 would be first on ice practice.

That would be my guess.

Reactions: VT

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I haven't seen anything official but:

- I read somewhere that the first games in Traverse City start September 14 (four teams-so lets say 3 games between 9-14 and 9-17)
- The first exhibition game is September 24 against Pittsburgh (split squads)

That's a tight window so players will probably report for main camp on Tuesday or Wednesday September 19 or 20 for physicals and September 20 or 21 would be first on ice practice.

That would be my guess.
Four teams? Did there used to be more?

I know more teams across the league are hosting these prospect camps than when Detroit started this one and teams don’t want to spend a ton of money in travel to participate in the camps so makes sense they are more regional now.

Youngguns1380

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Four teams? Did there used to be more?

I know more teams across the league are hosting these prospect camps than when Detroit started this one and teams don’t want to spend a ton of money in travel to participate in the camps so makes sense they are more regional now.
St Louis dropped this year

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
St Louis dropped this year
Thanks. I just looked it up, there were seven tournaments last season.

St Louis would make more sense joining Chicago and Minnesota.

Three teams didn’t participate in a camp last season. Looking down the list I think it was the Caps, Isles and Kraken.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
i do wonder if texier gets another trial run at center. torts would always talk about how he was a natural center, but didn't give him much run there. lars didn't either, but obviously he wasn't her at all last year.
love how this could be read as either:
  1. pumping up peeke to increase his trade value, or
  2. excluding boqvist to signal that he's available
hate this narrative but i guess i shouldn't really expect anything better from columbus sports radio. putting laine into a box of "he's only good when he's scoring goals" is doing him (or any player, really) a huge disservice. saying he has to be a goal scorer rather than a goal producer is a narrow-minded way to evaluate the player.

StatlinePoints/GPPoints/60
(Even Strength)
Primary Points/60
(Even Strength)
CF%
16-1736g-28a-64p0.882.712.0648.68%
17-1844g-26a-70p0.852.121.6850.18%
19-2028g-35a-63p0.932.581.8748.24%
21-2226g-30a-56p1.002.932.1746.61%
22-2322g-30a-52p0.952.491.9451.24%

the narrative that he has to get back to who he was is a joke – he's better now than he was then!

he developed into a multi-faceted offensive threat after years of being called a one-trick pony, now people want him to go back to that one trick, which was highlighted by winnipeg's power play setup. it's infuriating.

Youngguns1380

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
i do wonder if texier gets another trial run at center. torts would always talk about how he was a natural center, but didn't give him much run there. lars didn't either, but obviously he wasn't her at all last year.

love how this could be read as either:
  1. pumping up peeke to increase his trade value, or
  2. excluding boqvist to signal that he's available

hate this narrative but i guess i shouldn't really expect anything better from columbus sports radio. putting laine into a box of "he's only good when he's scoring goals" is doing him (or any player, really) a huge disservice. saying he has to be a goal scorer rather than a goal producer is a narrow-minded way to evaluate the player.

StatlinePoints/GPPoints/60
(Even Strength)
Primary Points/60
(Even Strength)
CF%
16-1736g-28a-64p0.882.712.0648.68%
17-1844g-26a-70p0.852.121.6850.18%
19-2028g-35a-63p0.932.581.8748.24%
21-2226g-30a-56p1.002.932.1746.61%
22-2322g-30a-52p0.952.491.9451.24%

the narrative that he has to get back to who he was is a joke – he's better now than he was then!

he developed into a multi-faceted offensive threat after years of being called a one-trick pony, now people want him to go back to that one trick, which was highlighted by winnipeg's power play setup. it's infuriating.
Just so you know Boomer is a national host on Sirius XM (not local radio) and has been for well over a decade out of Toronto. He wasn’t ripping Laine he said he could be a 40 goal scorer and propel this team forward if he can stay healthy for 82 games. He said when he is healthy he produces and also mentioned him playing center. This was in context of the team making the playoffs this year.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I hope Bally goes away so I can have an excuse to finally drop Directv.
I know it's not as simple as this but I wish Bally would go away, ESPN picks up all the games and they end blackouts. I think I was paying less than $10/month for ESPN+ and had every NHL game that wasn't on a major network or being played in Chicago/STL(I live in central IL)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I know it's not as simple as this but I wish Bally would go away, ESPN picks up all the games and they end blackouts. I think I was paying less than $10/month for ESPN+ and had every NHL game that wasn't on a major network or being played in Chicago/STL(I live in central IL)
I mean this is ideal. And then dropping Directv for a cheaper streaming service would actually save me money.

Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad