Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
So, we improve our d corps immensely, we will have a top 3 pick, we have Gaudreau, Laine etc, we hire a proven coach yet our odds to win the cup are on par with Coyotes and only better than ANA and SJS

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
So, we improve our d corps immensely, we will have a top 3 pick, we have Gaudreau, Laine etc, we hire a proven coach yet our odds to win the cup are on par with Coyotes and only better than ANA and SJS

We are in the Eastern Conference. Those 3 teams are in the Western Conference. Makes perfect sense to me. I would have a much different outlook for this team if we were in the Western Conference.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
We are in the Eastern Conference. Those 3 teams are in the Western Conference. Makes perfect sense to me. I would have a much different outlook for this team if we were in the Western Conference.
Also add the fact that this team is probably still going to be one of the youngest in the NHL next year

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

The sports books also see a glaring hole at center that won’t be fixed this season by drafting Carlsson/Fantilli/Smith

Reactions: Toe Pick

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I've generally like Kevin Weekes in the past but he's getting really weird. "Breaking News" tweets with only half of his head. Getting snippy when he has ignored this event and has never offered to explain his side of what actually happened. He's coming across as a guy whose ego is getting bigger to me. I get that it was most likely out of his control and "probably" a prerecorded sound byte that ESPN played incorrectly but it still makes him look bad that he and the network just wiped it under the rug and never addressed it.

Reactions: MAHJ71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've generally like Kevin Weekes in the past but he's getting really weird. "Breaking News" tweets with only half of his head. Getting snippy when he has ignored this event and has never offered to explain his side of what actually happened. He's coming across as a guy whose ego is getting bigger to me. I get that it was most likely out of his control and "probably" a prerecorded sound byte that ESPN played incorrectly but it still makes him look bad that he and the network just wiped it under the rug and never addressed it.

Why would someone be mad at Weekes about it in the first place? He obviously was just reading from a script and the production team played his segment in the wrong order. I felt more bad for him than for anyone else. We didn't lose anything from this. It's somewhat strange to me that folks are still talking about this - they seem to be transferring being upset that we didn't win the lottery into being upset at Kevin Weekes and that is very unfair.

MAHJ71

Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Whether it was his fault or not, he was involved and I don't think it's asking much for him to acknowledge the mistake and CBJ fans side of things.

The optics of it were pretty crappy to CBJ, and it got followed up with Chelios trashing Columbus shortly thereafter so it feels pretty darn understandable for CBJ fans to be left feeling a tad sour.

Instead he's chosen to mostly ignore it, and now roast a fan who IMO sent him a pretty mild tweet about it.

Last edited:

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Whether it was his fault or not, he was involved and I don't think it's asking much for him to acknowledge the mistake and CBJ fans side of things.
It could be more complicated than that. If it's true that the mistake was done by production team and network is refusing to admit it publicly, I don't know how Weekes should be reacting to all blaming he's received from social media. If he apologizes for what happened, then he's taking a part of the responsibility for something he hasn't done, is he not? And reversely, by telling what really happened (=a mistake by someone or some people) he's afraid his status will be damaged?

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

The optics of it were pretty crappy to CBJ, and it got followed up with Chelios trashing Columbus shortly thereafter so it feels pretty darn understandable for CBJ fans to be left feeling a tad sour.

Instead he's chosen to mostly ignore it, and now roast a fan who IMO sent him a pretty mild tweet about it.
Is this one of those things we'll be talking about a decade from now and still harboring resentment?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Why would someone be mad at Weekes about it in the first place? He obviously was just reading from a script and the production team played his segment in the wrong order. I felt more bad for him than for anyone else. We didn't lose anything from this. It's somewhat strange to me that folks are still talking about this - they seem to be transferring being upset that we didn't win the lottery into being upset at Kevin Weekes and that is very unfair.
It’s odd people keep bringing it up.

It’s also odd it was never given a clear explanation of what happened where he and ESPN never acknowledged the error and then weeks later he snaps at some guy on Twitter because “he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.”

Maybe a clear explanation from the beginning admitting the error might have given people some information. Instead we were left with people like Portzline giving the generic “production error” explanation.

I think you and I fully understand the mistake but I think it was poorly handled by those who actually made the mistake.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
TSN Off-season primer

Columbus Blue Jackets: Will they upgrade at centre, and how?

The Blue Jackets have been the fastest team out of the gates in terms of off-season movement, already acquiring Damon Severson and Ivan Provorov for the defence corps. It's clear that GM Jarmo Kekalainen can't settle for another building year and needs to see some results, fast. After upgrading the defence, at some point attention will need to turn to an obvious hole at centre. The Blue Jackets hold the third overall pick in the draft and while that would be a valuable trade asset, it's also a way for them to get a cheap, young, high-end centre (think Leo Carlsson or Adam Fantilli). Kekalainen might be trying to find another way to acquire a more veteran player at the position, but until the depth chart is taken care of at centre, the Blue Jackets don't have a clear path forward.

Also, Friedman in the most recent 32 Thoughts suggested that Columbus ‘may be going a different direction for a center’ rather than Hayes, which seems obvious after the Provorov trade, and is also a relief.

Reactions: Viqsi

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Also, Friedman in the most recent 32 Thoughts suggested that Columbus ‘may be going a different direction for a center’ rather than Hayes, which seems obvious after the Provorov trade, and is also a relief.
i think it'd have less to do with the provorov trade and more to do with him having an NTC and not wanting to play for babcock (this is speculation but i don't think that'd be a great fit).

my wish list is one of kuznetsov, backlund, karlsson, or coyle.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
i think it'd have less to do with the provorov trade and more to do with him having an NTC and not wanting to play for babcock (this is speculation but i don't think that'd be a great fit).

my wish list is one of kuznetsov, backlund, karlsson, or coyle.
I meant in the sense that if Hayes was the target it would've been included. The Flyers board very poetically said "can't imagine Columbus coming back for sloppy seconds with Hayes."

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I meant in the sense that if Hayes was the target it would've been included. The Flyers board very poetically said "can't imagine Columbus coming back for sloppy seconds with Hayes."
i get why people view it that way but i don't think one impacted the other necessarily. teams do back-to-back trades with each other more than people would expect.

recent-ish example: jackets got matt duchene from the senators in a trade, then got ryan dzingel from the senators in a different trade the next day.

it's not like going to costco where you wanna do everything in one trip – they have other suitors for hayes and he'd have to submit his NTC, so it makes sense that they'd do provorov in a different deal.

Reactions: Crede777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad