Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

I believe there are only five franchises of the 124 in the four major sports who have never made a conference championship/finals (CBJ, Kraken, Texans, Pelicans, Hornets).

Interestingly, the original Charlotte Hornets (founded in the 80s) moved to New Orleans as the Hornets in 2002. Charlotte got a new team called the Bobcats in 2004. In 2013, the New Orleans Hornets changed their name to the Pelicans and then the Bobcats changed theirs to the Hornets, and the NBA now retroactively considers for historical purposes the Pelicans as an “expansion” team founded in 2002, and the current Charlotte Hornets now own the franchise history/records to the original Charlotte Hornets prior to their move to New Orleans (as well as the 10 years the current Hornets played as the Bobcats).

Yet none of those iterations (Bobcats/Pelicans/Hornets [original Charlotte, New Orleans, or current Charlotte]) have ever made the conference finals, and they’re the only two NBA franchises not to have done so.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
believe there are only five franchises of the 124 in the four major sports who have never made a conference championship/finals (CBJ, Kraken, Texans, Pelicans, Hornets).
That’s actually an impressive feat by the Jackets franchise, we gotta be cursed or something.

Hard to believe, but even Coyotes made it in 2012.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Red Wings number 2 with that play by play group? Thats pretty terrible.
Disagree. I think Detroit's is great, as are the Stars and Caps broadcast teams. In fact, I'd rank the Caps in the top three along with Seattle (Alison!) and Detroit. I like Shelley a lot, but Rimer is just plain unlistenable. I listened to opposing broadcasts pretty much exclusively this past year because of how miserable the season was.

Reactions: thebus88

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Disagree. I think Detroit's is great, as are the Stars and Caps broadcast teams. In fact, I'd rank the Caps in the top three along with Seattle (Alison!) and Detroit. I like Shelley a lot, but Rimer is just plain unlistenable. I listened to opposing broadcasts pretty much exclusively this past year because of how miserable the season was.
Eh Detroits broadcast sounds just like 2 old men that are fans yelling at a screen. Always yelling shoot and telling pointless stories. Even my wife who doesnt watch hockey 1 time heard their broadcast and said "those guys are annoying". Id put them at the bottom, below or on par with Rimer but above Boston. Colorado was always annoying but got a bit better. Dont remember being a fan of Chicago's group.

Dallas is probably the group that jumps out in a positive way the most off the top of my head. I usually just watch the Columbus broadcast though. Rimer messes up a lot but I atleast like his voice for the job and he isnt some raging lunatic like Edwards.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
No offense to Geez or JLGR but how did we have Lukan here and just let her go? I know her primary role was in journalism but she would have made an excellent addition to the CBJ pre/postgame show. Seattles is great

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I can’t say I’m surprised about the CBJ broadcast rating being so low. Rimer is knowledgeable and well connected, but he’s just no longer a good PBP guy. (I’m trying to rhonk back to when he was). Contrary to most people, I’m not that enamored with Jody. He’s a personable guy, but I don’t think it provides any particular insight or analysis during a game. When I compare him to Engblom or Mike Johnson, there’s just no comparison. The Hyphenator provodes me more insight IMO.

Certainly Seattle being rated number one was no surprise, and I was glad to see Alison Lukan can get some love. She was a great partner with Porty and should’ve been hired for studio work here.

Reactions: tunnelvision

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No offense to Geez or JLGR but how did we have Lukan here and just let her go? I know her primary role was in journalism but she would have made an excellent addition to the CBJ pre/postgame show. Seattles is great

The Athletic let her go, she never worked for the Jackets or the tv broadcast, did she?

Though they should have hired her. She was great on tv from day one.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I was today years old when I found out what IDesign, our helmet sponsor, actually did:

I though they were a robotics company :laugh:

I actually liked those (although the solutions were quite barebones honestly), fits my age bracket lol.

I like the Panthers' broadcast the most I think (both the current one and I think they had some other older guy a few years back in the Jagr years, he was great too).

Anyhow Behind the Battle new episode dropped and this thread is probably the best for it:

Great episode, love these behind the scenes bits, even if some of them are retreads as is the trendy word these days. But poor Josh how he was crushed. :D Also Jarmo showing a bit more emotion behind the scenes on that 3rd pick, I bet he said some choice words to some NHL folks after that lottery fumble.

Gotta love Marchenko. But what school were they talking about? Is he taking English classes or something? Driving school? Cool either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad