Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
It's funny because Friedman heard from a team that was giving the Jackets a better offer, his interpretation was that the Jackets got upset that the negotations weren't straightforward or were taking too long.

It was probably just a better pick deal so who cares. I'm going to be pissed either way because I think he traded the wrong player.
Which would be ironic given he waited how long for Boston and Gavy? This just doesn't add up from what we've seen in Jarmo's history. If anything he's been accused of slow playing everything.

Again, we'll never know anything that didn't happen, just what did. I don't know any GM that would throw something away as described.

And...I guess I'm back in on this. Ugh

• Haha
Reactions: Monk

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Which would be ironic given he waited how long for Boston and Gavy? This just doesn't add up from what we've seen in Jarmo's history. If anything he's been accused of slow playing everything.

Again, we'll never know anything that didn't happen, just what did. I don't know any GM that would throw something away as described.

And...I guess I'm back in on this. Ugh

Not when it comes to the cap.

Remember the outcry here when he was afraid of a PLD offer sheet and dumped Murray and Nutivaara beforehand?

This time he had several months before the season started before needing to be cap compliant, but chose to make a deal to stay under the cap when he signed Laine.

It appears to be either a panic move to stay under the cap or a big under-appreciation of Bjorkstrand or both.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Remember the outcry here when he was afraid of a PLD offer sheet and dumped Murray and Nutivaara beforehand?

This time he had several months before the season started before needing to be cap compliant, but chose to make a deal to stay under the cap when he signed Laine.

It appears to be either a panic move to stay under the cap or a big under-appreciation of Bjorkstrand or both.
Agree to disagree. I'm moving on. Nothing more for me to gain from this topic

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Jarmo knows Bjorkie. Maybe he counted with young players like Johnson, Marchenko and Voronkov, probably with Chinakhov, Texier and Foudy/Danforth. Also don't forget drafts and other trades. But we will never know. Similar to how Bjorkie would have played in Columbus.

Look:

Gaudreau (30), Laine (25), Marchenko (23), Johnson (21) - first two lines, now maybe Jenner (30) would change spots with Laine who can maybe play center instead of Boone. Next Texier (24), Chinakhov (22), Danforth (30), Voronkov (23). And that's not even counting Sillinger (20), who they're probably counting on as a center. Therefore, the Bjorkie's loss was not tragic for Jarmo, I repeat, for Jarmo.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hey, folks? This is the Interesting Info thread, not the Let's Debate The Front Office And It's Decisions Yet Again thread. Can we perhaps keep that in mind with subsequent replies? I hope so. Please do so. Don't make me break out the light blue text. Thanks.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yeah I don't think he knew what a loss it was, at the time.

Watching a team with zero forecheck ability has hopefully clued him in.
How to take it. Marchenko played well in the forechecking, so did Foudy, except he didn't play enough, so did Chinakhov, who got injured to boot. Danforth didn't even play 10 games. Laine was injured a lot, besides he, Johnson and Gaudreau have different styles. Texier missed the season, Voronkov just signed now. Now take the forwards (example):

Gaudreau -- Johnson -- Marchenko
Voronkov -- Laine -- xxx
Sillinger -- Jenner -- Texier (something similar like Goodrow -- Gourde -- Coleman/Tolvanen -- Gourde -- Bjorkie, these lines were very important for their teams)
xxx -- Kuraly -- Olivier

Except for the 1st line, you have a minimum of two on each with excellent forechecking. I know Dima Voronkov, he's a bulldozer with aggressive play, capable of provoking opposing players into a frenzy. Bjorkie is an angel of god against him. :cool:

• xxx -- camp would show or trade.
• Silly will play, you'll see. Of course if he isn't traded as a part for D, for example what I doubt.
• I really like Bertuzzi but I doubt he would sign. I will like to be wrong.

Reactions: squashmaple

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Hehe, a perfect thing to get the tidbits back on track:

My 8 year old scored a Michigan goal at his game today

Kent inspiring the young, pretty cool to see it so literally. Better hide this from Torts, though.

Edit: The thread and the Instagram post have both been deleted. Maybe the kid got some unwanted attention, shame if so.

Last edited:

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
So what’s his name. We all learned about Kevin Collins last year. Now we can learn about the Twitter guy.
There's a whole team who runs the CBJ socials, including Svoboda himself. I know one of them left after the season, and there's a woman named Katie who's still there. I follow her on twitter.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
We were two million over the cap, we had a lot of options. We could have ran with a short roster until after game 1 when guys started going on IR (as I predicted).

It also almost certainly wouldn't have cost a 1st to move one year of Nyquist (coming off of a 53 point season), that seems wildly over the top to me. People are trying to find reasonable justifications for a terrible mistake.

I don't think we know that.

One - Nyquist was a good player, coming off a 53 pt season. Jarmo probably didn't want to trade him either. And the Jackets had a surfeit of long term winger contracts, so Jarmo may have preferred to move a long term guy. That was actually the conclusion that many on this board came to later last summer after some wingers with similar or worse value than Nyquist were able to be traded without any cost attached. Flexibility became the word of the day.

I still believe Jarmo acted hastily because he was in too much of a hurry to get that cap space available for a move that never materialized. Yes, it's trying to come up with a justification, but in all likelihood I imagine there is one, because while they needed to get under the cap and also getting the capspace provided flexibility for the future, I don't think those two are reason enough to sell as low as they did. And Jarmo was fully aware of selling low and he doesn't strike me as a guy who likes to do that. So unless he had a reason like wanting that cap available ASAP, it would've made more sense to squeeze under in other ways and make a TDL move when you get better return.

Hey, folks? This is the Interesting Info thread, not the Let's Debate The Front Office And It's Decisions Yet Again thread. Can we perhaps keep that in mind with subsequent replies? I hope so. Please do so. Don't make me break out the light blue text. Thanks.
Whoops sorry I was a couple pages behind in catching up when I made my previous reply, I swear! :D

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad