Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I think the way it would have worked back in the day is something like a local station like channel 10 would broadcast maybe 15 games and maybe stations in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton, and Lexington would also broadcast the games and it it would be called the “Blue Jackets TV sponsored by Sohio” on top of radio and national games. Anyone else remember Sohio? Much cooler name than BP.

eta - I used to listen to Reds games on a transistor radio from radio shack.
In Cleveland, it was WUAB channel 43. They would show 50 or so games a year. Then we got Sportschannel and they would split games all year until finally they all ended up on cable. 43 would also show some Cavs games, and for two brief years, a handful of Cleveland Barons games. By the time the Jackets came in, they would have been on Sportschannel, if we got any games. I honestly can only remember coming across them a couple of times. It wasn't until I got the center ice package I could see them regularly.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Early cable brought us WWOR out of NY. Saw a few Rangers games but it was the Isles heyday so it was Jiggs McDonald all the time.
I dont buy the NHL package because it's ridiculous to blackout my local team even though they're nearly 2 hours away. Why pay when I can rarely see who I want? Screw em...
Jiggs... yes! Potvin, Bossy, Trots, Tonelli... my guys growing up. Was a huge Miko Makela and Bob Bourne guy

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm guessing the CBJ and other teams could just get picked up and aired without blackout restrictions on ESPN+. It sounds like if MLB takes over broadcasting for their BSN teams they will just be streamed on the MLB app without blackouts.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario

GREAT article by Jeff Svoboda, giving us 33 CBJ thoughts on the season and what's to expect.

The one thought that sticks out to me was #17:
By the way, I've seen plenty of consternation about the Blue Jackets' victory over Pittsburgh on Thursday night -- which moved the Jackets out of the best odds for the upcoming draft lottery -- but what can you do? Two players making their NHL debuts -- Stanislav Svozil and Mikael Pyyhtia -- set up a power-play goal to tie the game in the dying minutes. Are you supposed to tell those guys to lay off the gas pedal? "Players will never tank," Kekalainen said. "Players have professional pride. They go on the ice to win the game, to do their best. Their careers are on the line, their jobs are on the line."

To all those that continually screamed for the team to tank and belittled them when they played well......the players have much more pride than you.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
And their pride might cost them a franchise player. And most of those players won’t even be on the roster next year.

Fun!
I mean let's be honest...not a person in the hockey world would predict such high end players like Dunne, Pyyhtia, Knazko, Svozil, Angle, Berni, Hutchinson, McKown, Luoto and Sweezy, not to mention the crazy experienced (and clearly awesome) Bayreuther, Bemstrom and Foudy driving the CBJ to a win over.... Pittsburgh, well, anyone for that matter. I mean if the CBJ was smart they would have played guys lower on the depth chart in Jrs. and the AHL if they were serious and knew they could simply never generate a win, let alone all those goals.

Seriously, I'm as disappointed as everyone else on here but there is little more they could have done at year end. Yes, I get that Johnny Hockey won it in overtime and, sure, they could not have played him (I am in agreement there) but the reality is that extra point did not cost them the bottom... getting to OT did and that lineup should never have had CBJ in the game regardless of the Pens state of mind.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I’m mad at him over the penguins game

Jarmo was mad at him for many other things, apparently. But I bet that’s one of them.
I'm picturing a pregame talk like Marcellus Wallace and Butch in Pulp Fiction between Jarmo and Larsen.

1682014813146.png

MAHJ71

Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I'm guessing the CBJ and other teams could just get picked up and aired without blackout restrictions on ESPN+. It sounds like if MLB takes over broadcasting for their BSN teams they will just be streamed on the MLB app without blackouts.
Just comparing the apps, to me: ESPN+ would be much less of a headache. ESPN+ doesn't ask me to sign in every damn time I use the app. ESPN+ does have a $99 yearly fee attached.. though thats cheaper than the $20/month price Bally's came up with..

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
And their pride might cost them a franchise player. And most of those players won’t even be on the roster next year.

Fun!
Well good luck to them. I’m sure Bayruether and TFW will be lighting it up for someone’s AHL squad
No I’m mad at the coach. Evidently so was Jarmo.

And yes, this story is over. Was merely replying to the person who brought it back into light.
As noted by Xog and others, what more did you want them to do?? Forfeit the game?? What if Gaudreau WANTED to go on the ice?? Don’t really understand the TFW Bayreuther name drops as if they are out there winning NHL games, and again, the roster was essentially as bad as you can get.

1 thing I can’t stand is you putting everything on that 1 game, along with Larsen getting blamed for both being responsible for the team losing so many games all year THAT PUT THEM IN POSITION to draft Bedard/top 3, and yet subsequently blamed and responsible for winning 1 game that MIGHT knock them out of that spot.

You have to THANK Larsen for putting the team in that position before BLAMING him for removing them. You make it seem like the team shouldn’t have had just a handful more points throughout the year and should have never been in that position to begin with. It’s nobody’s fault but your OWN that’s what you committed to and hoped for this year.

Reactions: LJ7

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
As noted by Xog and others, what more did you want them to do?? Forfeit the game?? What if Gaudreau WANTED to go on the ice?? Don’t really understand the TFW Bayreuther name drops as if they are out there winning NHL games, and again, the roster was essentially as bad as you can get.

1 thing I can’t stand is you putting everything on that 1 game, along with Larsen getting blamed for both being responsible for the team losing so many games all year THAT PUT THEM IN POSITION to draft Bedard/top 3, and yet subsequently blamed and responsible for winning 1 game that MIGHT knock them out of that spot.

You have to THANK Larsen for putting the team in that position before BLAMING him for removing them. You make it seem like the team shouldn’t have had just a handful more points throughout the year and should have never been in that position to begin with. It’s nobody’s fault but your OWN that’s what you committed to and hoped for this year.
That game specifically falls at his feet more than others because they had their own destiny in their hands. My opinion remains unchanged, but there is no sense crying over spilled milk. It’s over. The coach is gone so it doesn’t matter anymore.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
That game specifically falls at his feet more than others because they had their own destiny in their hands. My opinion remains unchanged, but there is no sense crying over spilled milk. It’s over. The coach is gone so it doesn’t matter anymore.

That game should be looked at no differently than the other 81.

If they would have won 2 more games in November, you couldn’t complain about that PIT game and anything to do with “destiny”.

Reactions: Viqsi, LJ7 and Monk

anotherlurker

Oct 31, 2022
I'm mad at the Penguins
This is the right attitude, f*** them. I almost went to their board after the game to tell them how much they suck... Yea Larsen overplayed Gaudreau, but maybe he was trying to make him so tired that he'd make mistakes.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

You don't play him 21 minutes in that game.

Reactions: EspenK

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
ChaptGBT created haiku for CBJ:

Columbus Blue Jackets Steel-shod soldiers march With cannon fire in their hearts Blue Jackets charge ahead

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
“Bruce Boudreau has not been contacted by Columbus.

One name being heard as a strong candidate to be the next goalie coach is Marko Torenius, who’s worked in the Vancouver organization. He worked in Russia and Finland for a long time and has worked with Shesterkin and Korpisalo

Jackets have made it clear the Kings pick is available via trade for immediate roster help”

@theathletic

Reactions: CBJx614 and Monk

Ad

Ad

Ad