Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I know it's hard to tell anymore, but does it appear she did this merely for the benefit of her social following, or is this more like making a sign that says "will you marry me" and bringing it to a game?

I'm not really sure why I'm parsing this but what the hell.
Not sure because as soon as she got “roasted” about it she claimed it was a fake number, then some weirdo tracked down her actual phone number and confirmed it matched.

I find it more odd for the 25+ year old people waiting for the players after the game to give them stuff, or make signs saying “Kuralydaddy.” That stuff is sooooo cringey to me, but maybe I’m just an old man yelling at clouds.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I know it's hard to tell anymore, but does it appear she did this merely for the benefit of her social following, or is this more like making a sign that says "will you marry me" and bringing it to a game?

I'm not really sure why I'm parsing this but what the hell.
The girl had no idea she was being recorded. Apparently she was making it a big deal in the line and so when she went up there someone recorded it with the intention of shaming her online about it.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Not sure because as soon as she got “roasted” about it she claimed it was a fake number, then some weirdo tracked down her actual phone number and confirmed it matched.

I find it more odd for the 25+ year old people waiting for the players after the game to give them stuff, or make signs saying “Kuralydaddy.” That stuff is sooooo cringey to me, but maybe I’m just an old man yelling at clouds.
The girl had no idea she was being recorded. Apparently she was making it a big deal in the line and so when she went up there someone recorded it with the intention of shaming her online about it.
1681396459288.png

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I don’t get the obsession with sports memorabilia. Maybe because I am kind of a minimalist when it comes to decorating. So I don’t get adults trying to get pucks, etc.

I also don’t get the social media obsession. The girl shot her shot. Good for her. I don’t know why it has to be recorded. Sillinger shot his shot with that Canadian pop star and everyone thought it was great. Life is short. If she wants to hang out with Kent Johnson, this was a way to try to do that.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
That’s too bad. I enjoy watching this (from home so far) and hope Traverse City gets continued support.
Agreed. I wonder why Armstrong doesn't want to participate. Seems like a really great opportunity for the prospects to get some experience against really good players.

Reactions: thebus88

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Hopefully they can add a couple of teams. Part of my goal for retirement (or semi-retirement) is to do things like go to the Traverse City prospect tournament. It seems like the kind of trip where my wife would want to come and do her own thing while I watch the hockey. Then we could have nice meals, do some hiking, relax, etc. (As opposed to something else I would like to during retirement like follow the Jackets on a western Canadian road trip which my wife would likely turn down because who wants to go to Calgary or Winnipeg in February.)

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
That’s too bad. I enjoy watching this (from home so far) and hope Traverse City gets continued support.

Yeah, if TC goes it'll be a shame. I've been a few times and it's a great time if you're a fan of one of the teams - pure optimism. Seems like they're getting whittled down to a point where it's not going to be viable to continue unless they get a couple more teams. I think back in the day there used to be 8? Can't see them keeping on for long with just 4.

A quick look (2022 NHL preseason prospects tournament rundown) shows there were 5 of these prospect tournaments last year with 2 more that only had two teams in attendance. I think 29 teams participated (I didn't check for any team going to more than 1, but that seems unlikely). There's one in Buffalo - I could see DET, TOR and CBJ heading to that one instead if they feel like RC is diminishing returns.

Seems like we'll probably see things coalesce down to maybe 4 regionally driven tournaments. In addition to the one in Buffalo, there's one in Raleigh, another in San Jose and one in Penticton, BC with teams attending each one of those largely based on proximity.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Hopefully they can add a couple of teams. Part of my goal for retirement (or semi-retirement) is to do things like go to the Traverse City prospect tournament. It seems like the kind of trip where my wife would want to come and do her own thing while I watch the hockey. Then we could have nice meals, do some hiking, relax, etc. (As opposed to something else I would like to during retirement like follow the Jackets on a western Canadian road trip which my wife would likely turn down because who wants to go to Calgary or Winnipeg in February.)
DO EEEEET! You can really make a nice trip of it and it doesn't cost much.

There's a wine trail right near TC - it goes up into this peninsula at the south end of the lake. Very nice drive. When we went to TC I chauffeured my wife from wine tasting to wine tasting and it was enjoyable. There's a cool state park too with large sand dunes - Big Bear Dunes or something like that. I will say, though, that the drive up to TC from Columbus is never ending - it's actually closer to get to Nashville or St Louis than TC from Columbus. Part of me wonders if that's why so many teams have dropped it over the years.

The last time I was there, we went to this very nice Asian restaurant - I can't remember the name but it was like "Red Fusion" or something like that. Anyway, it's all sort of older mid-40s and up couples. We're sitting there and a group of three guys walks in. My wife gives them the up and down as they take their table and says "What's the deal with these dudes?"

I hadn't paid much attention but I looked over at them to see what she was talking about. They're all in track suits. "The deal with those dudes is that one of them is Chris Chelios, one of them is Nik Lidstrom and I don't know who the other dude is."

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Watching the Kings Oilers game last night and realized when the Jackets started out the Kings were a better team. Then they got worse than us then they got better again. They then got worse than us again and finally they're better than us again. The Jackets have stayed a pretty consistent bad for all of this time. I marvel at how some organizations can assemble a winning team multiple times and the CBJ just wallow in muck.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Watching the Kings Oilers game last night and realized when the Jackets started out the Kings were a better team. Then they got worse than us then they got better again. They then got worse than us again and finally they're better than us again. The Jackets have stayed a pretty consistent bad for all of this time. I marvel at how some organizations can assemble a winning team multiple times and the CBJ just wallow in muck.

If you 'inverse' some of your sentences, aren't they examples of the Jackets getting better than the Kings? It's like some folks don't remember the Jackets were legitimately a good team not that long ago.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Yeah, you're right, 2017-2020 definitely didn't happen where the Jackets made the playoffs for four straight years and the Kings were stockpiling top 10 picks (almost none of whom worked out, too).

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
DO EEEEET! You can really make a nice trip of it and it doesn't cost much.

We have been up there before with the kids and plan to do it again with the kids. I like the area. I am not quite ready for retirement but I could see that being the kind of thing I’d do when I am retired.

I am not a big beach guy, so hanging out in Florida doesn’t appeal to me. But watching prospects play hockey, or hitting an NFL game in Green Bay, or going to the NCAA Frozen Four, or going to watch the Buckeyes play against USC in the LA Coliseum are things I would like to do. Like let’s say in the new Big Ten OSU plays at USC in late October. I am never going to take several days off work to fly out and see the game now. But if there was no work, I’d seriously consider finding a cheap plane ticket and flying out mid week to mid week to watch the game and hang out in SoCal. Or maybe fly into Vegas for a few days and drive over to LA for the game.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
If you 'inverse' some of your sentences, aren't they examples of the Jackets getting better than the Kings? It's like some folks don't remember the Jackets were legitimately a good team not that long ago.
Pray tell, do remind me of our playoff success. It has seemed to slip my mind. Oh yes, we did get out of the first round once. So we have that going for us.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Try running a Vancouver+Seattle trip by her.

Reactions: koteka

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Pray tell, do remind me of our playoff success. It has seemed to slip my mind. Oh yes, we did get out of the first round once. So we have that going for us.

Here we go again, not gonna repeat myself across threads. So in summary:

Meh.

Reactions: Viqsi

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Bally Sports is missing payments to MLB teams again. I wonder how I can watch the CBJ this Fall. I doubt they survive until then. MLB could be taking over their streams in a couple of weeks.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Bally Sports is missing payments to MLB teams again. I wonder how I can watch the CBJ this Fall. I doubt they survive until then. MLB could be taking over their streams in a couple of weeks.

Is there any existing template for local sports "television" without the RSN's? It seems like that's the way it's been done since it's been done. With the exception of super stations like WOR, TBS and WGN, how did we get local teams previously? I can't even remember. Was it not actually possible and you were just limited to radio and nationally televised games?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Is there any existing template for local sports "television" without the RSN's? It seems like that's the way it's been done since it's been done. With the exception of super stations like WOR, TBS and WGN, how did we get local teams previously? I can't even remember. Was it not actually possible and you were just limited to radio and nationally televised games?

I think the way it would have worked back in the day is something like a local station like channel 10 would broadcast maybe 15 games and maybe stations in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton, and Lexington would also broadcast the games and it it would be called the “Blue Jackets TV sponsored by Sohio” on top of radio and national games. Anyone else remember Sohio? Much cooler name than BP.

eta - I used to listen to Reds games on a transistor radio from radio shack.

Last edited:

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Yes, they just weren't on. That's why I grew up an Atlanta Braves/ Chicago Bulls fan from Eastern Ohio. I never saw any of the Ohio teams except the Browns.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Early cable brought us WWOR out of NY. Saw a few Rangers games but it was the Isles heyday so it was Jiggs McDonald all the time.
I dont buy the NHL package because it's ridiculous to blackout my local team even though they're nearly 2 hours away. Why pay when I can rarely see who I want? Screw em...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad