Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Guy on the worst team in the league who plays too many minutes due to injury has a league worse +/-

Next on the news I will explain that the sky is indeed blue

Well, then we simply need somebody different who isn’t “playing too many minutes”.

Whether in relation to all the “hate” that Gudbranson has gotten, many defensemen in the past looked at in a similar way, or just watching Peeke for any extended period, I’m blown away at practically ANY defense he gets for his play. He DOES NOT have the “defensive awareness” or anywhere near good enough DEFENSIVE stick skills, to be a good “defensive defenseman” at the NHL level. And he does not bring anywhere near what Gudbranson brings physicality wise.

Some of you continue to say “too many minutes”, yet, had Peeke pencilled in next to Werenski for the foreseeable future until Jiricek became “established”.

At some point some of you need to understand that MANY of the players on the ice are the problem and the reason why the team is so bad. Sure, playing with Werenski all year would have improved Peeke’s individual stats a bit, yet the team wouldn’t have won much more than they did. Roster OVERHAUL is needed.

Removing Jake Bean (and adding a similar guy) isn’t the solution to our defensive woes. Neither Peeke, Gudbranson, OR Werenski can be our best defensive defenseman on this team for it to be “successful” in any way.

Reactions: cslebn and Jovavic

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So is that how they evaluated Bjorkstrand then? His +/- was almost as bad on a better team
So much better that they landed the 5th pick. Anyway it was an attempt (apparently not a good one) to be a bit facetious and play off an old expression. And -35 is pretty bad. OB must have been doomed to play with lousy teammates or get a disproportionate % of defensive zone starts or matchups against the other teams best players or whatever other bs guys use to defend their idols.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Removing Jake Bean (and adding a similar guy) isn’t the solution to our defensive woes. Neither Peeke, Gudbranson, OR Werenski can be our best defensive defenseman on this team for it to be “successful” in any way.
I don’t think anyone ever implied anything otherwise

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
He may not be the problem but he doesn't appear to be part of the solution.

He’s absolutely part of the problem. Interesting to me that the NHL is only a “developmental league” in certain situations, like when Torts was trashed for so long by many around here for never playing Peeke. He was correct. Would love to have been there in the room during talks between Torts and Jarmo regarding Peeke.

So much better that they landed the 5th pick. Anyway it was an attempt (apparently not a good one) to be a bit facetious and play off an old expression. And -35 is pretty bad. OB must have been doomed to play with lousy teammates or get a disproportionate % of defensive zone starts or matchups against the other teams best players or whatever other bs guys use to defend their idols.

It’s almost like Bjorkstrand was tasked with a vastly different and tougher role, as the SUPERSTAR the team acquired the year before was in much need of an EASIER role, as he put up a remarkable -29 in 45 games in 2020-21.

Other than Bjorkstrand’s offensive role and much of his PP time being gifted to another player that couldn’t handle his role the year beforehand, he was playing on a forward/winger lineup that consisted of Chinakhov, Sillinger, Domi, Roslovic, Voracek, and -29 in 45 games Laine.

Moving Bjorkstrand, with or without all the money going to guys like Kuraly/Roslovic/Peeke currently and moving forward, is and was ridiculous.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
He’s absolutely part of the problem. Interesting to me that the NHL is only a “developmental league” in certain situations, like when Torts was trashed for so long by many around here for never playing Peeke. He was correct. Would love to have been there in the room during talks between Torts and Jarmo regarding Peeke.

It’s almost like Bjorkstrand was tasked with a vastly different and tougher role, as the SUPERSTAR the team acquired the year before was in much need of an EASIER role, as he put up a remarkable -29 in 45 games in 2020-21.

Other than Bjorkstrand’s offensive role and much of his PP time being gifted to another player that couldn’t handle his role the year beforehand, he was playing on a forward/winger lineup that consisted of Chinakhov, Sillinger, Domi, Roslovic, Voracek, and -29 in 45 games Laine.

Moving Bjorkstrand, with or without all the money going to guys like Kuraly/Roslovic/Peeke currently and moving forward, is and was ridiculous.
O.K. Bjorkie is 20th in +/- in Seattle (0+/-). The best has +30+/-, 5 players has 20+/- and more, 13 players have 10 and more +/-. I hope you don't say because of Wennberg.

Next, Laine had one bad season. But in the next he had 26+20 in 56 games. Bjorkie had 28+19 in 80 games. Many goals in PP (the 1th PP Unit).

Next, he has 20+24 (44) in 79 games. Laine, whom you hate, has 22+30 (52) in 55 games although he had problems with injuries in the worse team. The most games didn't play with Gaudreau.

Roslovic, the next your "favourite" player has 11 + 33 (44) in 74 games, playing with different players (even in the 3th line with Foudy before his the first goal, Bemstrom, Pederson, Fix-Wolanski too) in PK and in the 2nd PP Unit.

You said Bjorkie would play in better team he had more goals/points. My question. If he is so great as you has claimed, why he was moved to the third line first although he started in the 2nd? Why did he play in the 2nd PP Unit although he started in the 1th in Seattle before injuries? Why doesn't have more points and goals? Explain me it?

Kuraly is a center, play excellent in PK, starts against the best lines.

Bjorkie is a very good player and I am not too happy he has left the team. I know his qualities (transition, good play around the boards, forchecking) but if you has started to compare points, goals, +/-, show all and not only what you want.

Sorry but your hating is already funny. Twist the stats as you see fit. You forgive your favorites all sorts of things.

Last edited:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Why are we still briniging up Bjorkstrand? He doesn't play here anymore. I will just leave this here, even though Bjorkstrand had an off year production wise, if you want to make excuses, which I don't, but I do remember the barrel full of excuses for Laine when he got here, you could say it took Bjorkstrand a bit to get back into things. After all, he was just uprooted with no warning, traded after one year of a 5 year deal, and being given a letter showing he was part of the core. He was notified on his honeymoon, so he knew when that was over he had to pack up his family, move across country, sell a home he never got to live in, and deal with a new team while going though everything that comes with an having an expecting wife. I know Bjorkstrand would never resort to making excuses, but that is a lot to deal with, and by the second half of the season he got it straightened out and put up solid numbers that he normally does, and stayed healthy all year. Something Laine never did his first year here, he just packed it up that year. Anyway, it all worked out well for him, he is on a better team and going to the playoffs. Hope he does well and his team goes a few rounds in.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Why are we still briniging up Bjorkstrand? He doesn't play here anymore. I will just leave this here, even though Bjorkstrand had an off year production wise, if you want to make excuses, which I don't, but I do remember the barrel full of excuses for Laine when he got here, you could say it took Bjorkstrand a bit to get back into things. After all, he was just uprooted with no warning, traded after one year of a 5 year deal, and being given a letter showing he was part of the core. He was notified on his honeymoon, so he knew when that was over he had to pack up his family, move across country, sell a home he never got to live in, and deal with a new team while going though everything that comes with an having an expecting wife. I know Bjorkstrand would never resort to making excuses, but that is a lot to deal with, and by the second half of the season he got it straightened out and put up solid numbers that he normally does, and stayed healthy all year. Something Laine never did his first year here, he just packed it up that year. Anyway, it all worked out well for him, he is on a better team and going to the playoffs. Hope he does well and his team goes a few rounds in.
I would never say about his play in Seattle (your excuses are right) if TheBus88 doesn't write about Laine's the first season again. But you are right better no say about Bjorkie (except in the thread about NHL). Especially with TheBuss88.

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Not sure if this is where to post or not but…

Just want to say thank you to the people that post and follow the team on here. In general I find the people on these boards to be knowledgeable and willing to have a discussion on most topics. Might not always agree with people but I cannot question their knowledge/dedication.

With that being said, the CBJ fans on Twitter are moronic and a lot of times cringey tbh.

Last edited:

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

Just want to say thank you to the people that post and follow the team on here. In general I find the people on these board to be knowledgeable and willing to have a discussion on most topics. Might not always agree with people but I cannot question their knowledge/dedication.

With that being said, the CBJ fans on Twitter are moronic and a lot of times cringey tbh.
This my reaction to twitter :huh::popcorn::mad:. Usually uninformed or just crazy takes

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Just want to say thank you to the people that post and follow the team on here. In general I find the people on these board to be knowledgeable and willing to have a discussion on most topics. Might not always agree with people but I cannot question their knowledge/dedication.

To be fair, that's also a pretty apt description of Twitter in general. :D

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

There's something about posting in this community that makes us a little sharper and more thoughtful about the team.

Twitter and Facebook don't have that, at least for the Jackets. The takes are just half-baked or full on bong thoughts.

Reddit has a good CBJ community with a very informed group of posters but of course it's much more prone to being a circle-jerk. Until recently if you said something mildly critical like "Sillinger should be in the AHL" you'd get downvoted to hell. I got too many minuses on my account and gave up.

To be fair, that's also a pretty apt description of Twitter in general. :D

I do academic and public policy work and twitter is amazing, just make sure to follow the right people.

Reactions: Cowumbus and LJ7

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

I assume you saw the same thing I saw regarding one our players.

Yeah I basically just stick to here and reddit. Twitter and Facebook is a cesspool.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
So, fill us in. What was the egregious social media post you both are referencing?
A girl in the 18-25 year old range went to a fan signing session with Kent Johnson and gave him a puck with her phone number on it. He looked very uncomfortable with the whole thing but she insisted he take it.

• Wow
Reactions: Derby

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
A girl in the 18-25 year old range went to a fan signing session with Kent Johnson and gave him a puck with her phone number on it. He looked very uncomfortable with the whole thing but she insisted he take it.
I know it's hard to tell anymore, but does it appear she did this merely for the benefit of her social following, or is this more like making a sign that says "will you marry me" and bringing it to a game?

I'm not really sure why I'm parsing this but what the hell.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Poor, poor Kent.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad