Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
“Bruce Boudreau has not been contacted by Columbus.

One name being heard as a strong candidate to be the next goalie coach is Marko Torenius, who’s worked in the Vancouver organization. He worked in Russia and Finland for a long time and has worked with Shesterkin and Korpisalo

Jackets have made it clear the Kings pick is available via trade for immediate roster help”

@theathletic
That trade had better involve someone who can play defense and probably package with one of our guys who cannot play defense.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
A Russian blogger, a former hockey player, did a report from Columbus. Since the Russian players, especially Gavrikov, provided him with accreditation, he was able to see the entire arena, including the locker room, the gym, etc., etc. There are also interviews with Gavrikov, Chinakhov and Marchenko, etc.
It's in Russian, but you can set up English subtitles, at least it worked for me. :thumbu: The first two videos have more then 3 hours every, the last about 52 minutes. Btw, his chanel is excellent.

Last edited:

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Wow that looks like great content (if I can tolerate the English subs, they're not really great to be honest). Thanks for linking them. I only wish there was a 20-30 minute recap of the most interesting bits instead of 8 hours lol. :D

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
A Russian blogger, a former hockey player, did a report from Columbus. Since the Russian players, especially Gavrikov, provided him with accreditation, he was able to see the entire arena, including the locker room, the gym, etc., etc. There are also interviews with Gavrikov, Chinakhov and Marchenko, etc.
It's in Russian, but you can set up English subtitles, at least it worked for me. :thumbu: The first two videos have more then 3 hours every, the last about 52 minutes. Btw, his chanel is excellent.

Thanks. I only watched random parts, but it was cool seeing where the guys live. The young single guys and even the married guys without kids are encouraged to live near the arena. There has been a ton of construction in that area and there are lots of newer condos and apartments.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Thanks. I only watched random parts, but it was cool seeing where the guys live. The young single guys and even the married guys without kids are encouraged to live near the arena. There has been a ton of construction in that area and there are lots of newer condos and apartments.
That has been the case for a long while.
During the first playoff appearance 6-7 guys lived in Burnham Square (Condos right beside the arena).
Bob bought in the tower after that.
Zherdev lived in apartments before he bought a condo at Burnham.
it's super convenient (walk across the street).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That has been the case for a long while.
During the first playoff appearance 6-7 guys lived in Burnham Square (Condos right beside the arena).
Bob bought in the tower after that.
Zherdev lived in apartments before he bought a condo at Burnham.
it's super convenient (walk across the street).

This is just my outsider opinion (haven't been to Columbus in 10+ years), we'd have more success retaining talent if we make a better environment where our players live. Guys who like the suburban lifestyle like Columbus, the ones that don't, don't.

The arena district is actually relatively nice as far as those districts go, it's not all surface parking like some cities. But it is relatively small and mostly disconnected from the neighborhoods. If I'm a city planner I'd want to cover 670 in between Short North and the Arena District. You should be able to walk to a game down High or Neil and not have a highway experience. People love walking but not near highways. Players, especially European players, often love walking too, and having integrated neighborhoods with more places to walk to would be a big plus.

It looks like they tried something halfway like that with the colonnaded building on High St. Folks can tell me if that's a nice walking experience. I don't know the local development context, maybe there's just not enough demand to fill out the area.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
This is just my outsider opinion (haven't been to Columbus in 10+ years), we'd have more success retaining talent if we make a better environment where our players live. Guys who like the suburban lifestyle like Columbus, the ones that don't, don't.

The arena district is actually relatively nice as far as those districts go, it's not all surface parking like some cities. But it is relatively small and mostly disconnected from the neighborhoods. If I'm a city planner I'd want to cover 670 in between Short North and the Arena District. You should be able to walk to a game down High or Neil and not have a highway experience. People love walking but not near highways. Players, especially European players, often love walking too, and having integrated neighborhoods with more places to walk to would be a big plus.

It looks like they tried something halfway like that with the colonnaded building on High St. Folks can tell me if that's a nice walking experience. I don't know the local development context, maybe there's just not enough demand to fill out the area.

I just typed up a sort of wordy post about my opinion on Columbus and why I personally think it's sort of "meh" and what I think should change, but realized it wasn't particularly helpful or insightful or new. At the end of the day, the Blue Jackets winning more is going to be the best thing they can do to attract and retain hockey players. A story as old as 2000.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just typed up a sort of wordy post about my opinion on Columbus and why I personally think it's sort of "meh" and what I think should change, but realized it wasn't particularly helpful or insightful or new.

I don't live there so I don't really know what people think, it might be new to me.

Anything other than "city of suburbs" / nowhere to walk to?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I don't live there so I don't really know what people think, it might be new to me.

Anything other than "city of suburbs" / nowhere to walk to?

I just tried again for 20 minutes and honestly don't think I can articulate anything new/interesting without pissing people off or breaking site rules :laugh:

EDIT: I left in 2011 so I don't live there either. Just go back to visit fam in Cbus regularly.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I just typed up a sort of wordy post about my opinion on Columbus and why I personally think it's sort of "meh" and what I think should change, but realized it wasn't particularly helpful or insightful or new. At the end of the day, the Blue Jackets winning more is going to be the best thing they can do to attract and retain hockey players. A story as old as 2000.
It is what it is. Lot of good places to eat, good schools, good golf courses. Those things appeal to a lot of people. It is a college town (not like exclusively) but a lot of colleges so that is good for some (and great for the economy) and others don't like it as much.

What it isn't is a place to see the Ocean or even a major Lake (Lake Erie 2 hours away, Ocean is not close). Not too many hills (so quality skiing is a good drive). No other major sports (again apologies to OSU and the Crew).

For a guy like me I loved the Arena District and now me and the wife moved to Bridge Park (Dublin) and that is great with me, but I can see how some folks who want a different lifestyle (either big city or at least water or skiing, etc) wouldn't be happy.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
It is what it is. Lot of good places to eat, good schools, good golf courses. Those things appeal to a lot of people. It is a college town (not like exclusively) but a lot of colleges so that is good for some (and great for the economy) and others don't like it as much.

What it isn't is a place to see the Ocean or even a major Lake (Lake Erie 2 hours away, Ocean is not close). Not too many hills (so quality skiing is a good drive). No other major sports (again apologies to OSU and the Crew).

For a guy like me I loved the Arena District and now me and the wife moved to Bridge Park (Dublin) and that is great with me, but I can see how some folks who want a different lifestyle (either big city or at least water or skiing, etc) wouldn't be happy.

Yeah man, I grew up there. This is the same old easy, low hanging fruit that people who like Columbus (and Ohio) happily acknowledge. It's worse than there aren't mountains, oceans and major sports teams.

Schools, restaurants and golf courses? That's attainable in every city, especially if you're a millionaire. What else?

The zoo joke is funny because it's true.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah man, I grew up there. This is the same old easy, low hanging fruit that people who like Columbus (and Ohio) happily acknowledge. It's worse than there aren't mountains, oceans and major sports teams.

Schools, restaurants and golf courses? That's attainable in every city, especially if you're a millionaire. What else?

The zoo joke is funny because it's true.

I'm based in Seattle and Portland and based on the day to day life I see around me, people here would love German Village. Most people never go skiing and they don't hit the water much. The stuff that people care about in their day to day lives is more like "How many restaurants can you walk to?" "is it a nice place to walk the dog?", etc... Cool brewpubs have cache everywhere. Columbus just needs to up the density on that sort of thing.

Though I suppose I have a better sense for what thirty-somethings like, I shouldn't even guess what twenty-somethings want these days.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I just tried again for 20 minutes and honestly don't think I can articulate anything new/interesting without pissing people off or breaking site rules :laugh:

EDIT: I left in 2011 so I don't live there either. Just go back to visit fam in Cbus regularly.
Same, moved back briefly (well technically Dayton, but back to Ohio) and visited quite often. I'd probably move back to Columbus if Ohio ever got it's shit together. The state isn't very friendly towards my industry.

Reactions: Monk

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
“Schools, restaurants and golf courses” is as low-hanging fruit for the complainers as it gets. Quite frankly, I’m happy to have people who think Columbus is lame to be gone. More Columbus for the rest of us. I mean, the area is far from perfect but the idea the golf courses and the zoo is the sum total is just ignorant.

Last edited:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
“Schools, restaurants and golf courses” is as low-hanging fruit for the complainers as it gets. Quite frankly, I’m happy to have people who think Columbus is lame to be gone. More Columbus for the rest of us. I mean, the area is far from perfect but the idea the golf courses and the zoo is the sum total is just ignorant.

Totally agree, but it was the advocate that only listed those things amongst its assets. I can understand why people like it. It's subjective and like JD said, it is what it is.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The stuff that people care about in their day to day lives is more like "How many restaurants can you walk to?" "is it a nice place to walk the dog?", etc...

Bridge Park in Dublin and what they are doing to Lane Avenue in Upper Arlington are the kinds of things you are talking about.

Bridge Park

Bridge Park is just north of 161 on Riverside Drive. You basically shoot down Riverside Drive which turns into Dublin Road and takes you straight to Nationwide Arena, so it isn’t the worst commute in the world.

Upper Arlington is where plenty of Jackets have lived and continue to live and is close to the Arena.

Reactions: Monk

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bridge Park in Dublin and what they are doing to Lane Avenue in Upper Arlington are the kinds of things you are talking about.

Bridge Park

Bridge Park is just north of 161 on Riverside Drive. You basically shoot down Riverside Drive which turns into Dublin Road and takes you straight to Nationwide Arena, so it isn’t the worst commute in the world.

Upper Arlington is where plenty of Jackets have lived and continue to live and is close to the Arena.

I think that's the right idea, you just need about a hundred-fold that much development and hopefully contiguous. I like those places though. The scale is nice.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

For golfers there are 4 top 100 courses (haven't seen latest ratings) but between Muirfield (where a few Jackes and ex Jackets are members), Scioto (where Nash is a member), Double Eagle (that the McConnell's own so I assume the guys can play at there and the Golf Club. So you don't get that everywhere.
Now for most of us it's a short golf season (April-October) but the Jackets are typically pretty busy during those cold months so not an issue for them.

So not arguing with you but just pointing out that outside of the Carolinas or California you may not find a better area for Spring, Summer and Fall golf courses.

Bridge Park

Me and the wife just moved there (from Muirfield Village) and love it. Just a lot going on.
There are a couple players that live in the area as well (lot of Condos, so perfect for folks that don't want to have to worry about the yard).

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
For golfers there are 4 top 100 courses (haven't seen latest ratings) but between Muirfield (where a few Jackes and ex Jackets are members), Scioto (where Nash is a member), Double Eagle (that the McConnell's own so I assume the guys can play at there and the Golf Club. So you don't get that everywhere.
Now for most of us it's a short golf season (April-October) but the Jackets are typically pretty busy during those cold months so not an issue for them.

So not arguing with you but just pointing out that outside of the Carolinas or California you may not find a better area for Spring, Summer and Fall golf courses.
Certainly great for those with money but for the middle class common folk like me who can't even sniff playing those courses we can all sit here and dream.

Ad

Ad

Ad