Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
For golfers there are 4 top 100 courses (haven't seen latest ratings) but between Muirfield (where a few Jackes and ex Jackets are members), Scioto (where Nash is a member), Double Eagle (that the McConnell's own so I assume the guys can play at there and the Golf Club. So you don't get that everywhere.
Now for most of us it's a short golf season (April-October) but the Jackets are typically pretty busy during those cold months so not an issue for them.

So not arguing with you but just pointing out that outside of the Carolinas or California you may not find a better area for Spring, Summer and Fall golf courses.
My point is that if one is using "golf courses and the zoo" as the only ways to tout the region, one is as ignorant as anyone complaining that there's nothing to do.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Yeah but it's a nice zoo.
I could not agree more. And although I don't hardly ever play these days, I used to enjoy the many fine public golf courses (eff those snooty country clubs).

Otherwise, I usually just stay home and watch the grass grow, as there's nothing else to do and nowhere else to go.

Anyway, how are we even talking about Columbus in the "interesting" thread? I should probably re-title the Columbus thread the "uninteresting info" thread.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
One serious note on "walkability." Columbus obviously has areas like German Village, the Short North, Italian Village, Victorian Village that are the traditional walkable urban neighborhoods that people point to with restaurants, activites, etc.

But for all the knocking of suburbs many of them in the past 10-20 years have developed nice, charming little downtowns that also are walkable and lined with restaurants, breweries, patios, fountains, etc. I'd wager more suburbs have that element than don't — Grandview, Grove City, Hilliard, Dublin, Westerville, Gahanna, Canal Winchester, Bexley, New Albany, Delaware, etc. — each of those have nice, central hubs.

People like to knock Columbus for sprawl and housing developments and strip malls — and that's all there too — but reducing the region to there's only the Short North, Bridge Park and 100-home subdivisions each with their own McDonald's and Applebees misses a lot of good stuff in between. A lot of stuff that people genuinely enjoy, which is part of the reason the region continues to grow.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Hilliard has made its main hub much nicer. DSL is correct - Delaware is really cool. I think @majormajor would be pleasantly surprised with some of the city planning that has happened in Columbus since he left.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Last year I went back to Dublin, where I grew up, for the first time in like 5 or 7 years and couldn’t believe how much the downtown area had grown. The bridge park area blew my mind. Would’ve loved to have had that area as a teenager.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hilliard has made its main hub much nicer. DSL is correct - Delaware is really cool. I think @majormajor would be pleasantly surprised with some of the city planning that has happened in Columbus since he left.

I lived in NW Ohio back in the day by the way, so I was never that familiar.

But on your instigation I checked out the "new hubs" on street view and I like them. Those are great as far as small city projects go.

I would hope for more from Columbus itself, the big city. They can do a lot more to tie the urban pieces together.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Maybe I'm biased as a NE Ohio native who doesn't drive, but I chose Clintonville specifically for its proximity to High St and one of the only reliable bus lines in the city. This city's public transit is a travesty, and if I'd known it was this bad when I moved here sight-unseen for a job back in 2015, I might have chosen differently. If I could find an apartment downtown similar to the amenties I've got here for the price I pay, I'd move for sure, but alas.

I used to make fun of Columbus for basically being an overgrown suburb, but I've long since left the job that brought me here and I'm still here. It's a nice city. I don't personally need more than what I've got between Morse Rd and downtown, but I get why others find this place boring.

Reactions: majormajor

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Maybe I'm biased as a NE Ohio native who doesn't drive, but I chose Clintonville specifically for its proximity to High St and one of the only reliable bus lines in the city. This city's public transit is a travesty, and if I'd known it was this bad when I moved here sight-unseen for a job back in 2015, I might have chosen differently. If I could find an apartment downtown similar to the amenties I've got here for the price I pay, I'd move for sure, but alas.

I used to make fun of Columbus for basically being an overgrown suburb, but I've long since left the job that brought me here and I'm still here. It's a nice city. I don't personally need more than what I've got between Morse Rd and downtown, but I get why others find this place boring.

Clintonville is what I'd choose too, it's my favorite area

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
As someone who has visited Columbus for the first time in 10 years last year, I have to say that whoever is planning the city is absolutely doing a great job.

Columbus is with Nashville now as 2 of my favorite cities to visit
It's a very easy city to get around which is a blessing and a curse. Pretty easy if you have a car, but no incentive for car owners to want better public transportation.

Reactions: koteka

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
It's a very easy city to get around which is a blessing and a curse. Pretty easy if you have a car, but no incentive for car owners to want better public transportation.

Hockey parents need a city that is car friendly. ;)

1683972704726.png

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
As someone who has visited Columbus for the first time in 10 years last year, I have to say that whoever is planning the city is absolutely doing a great job.

Columbus is with Nashville now as 2 of my favorite cities to visit
My wife and I went to Nashville last month for the very first time. Holy Moly what a scene! The arena is right smack dab in the middle of music/bar insanity and the football stadium is right there too across the very pedestrian friendly bridge. I guess I wasn't sure what to expect...but wasn't expecting that (like New Orleans but more chaotic). I wouldn't want to live there but for a long weekend it was fun.

Eagerly awaiting next year's schedule to start planning some road trips.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
My wife and I went to Nashville last month for the very first time. Holy Moly what a scene! The arena is right smack dab in the middle of music/bar insanity and the football stadium is right there too across the very pedestrian friendly bridge. I guess I wasn't sure what to expect...but wasn't expecting that (like New Orleans but more chaotic). I wouldn't want to live there but for a long weekend it was fun.

Seeing a game at Smashville is quite the experience. Their fans are super friendly & welcoming. And the in arena experience is fun.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

It's the new Vegas, but not a 4 hour plan ride away!
It's incredible there - seems like so many folks gradating collage end up in Nashville or Charlotte (that is my perception). I'm older but use to always be Chicago or NYC.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Last post I’ll make regarding our former #28, but…..
As I watched Bjorkstrand forechecking like hell in these playoffs, it just hacks me off he’s not here on a roster that is so lacking at it.
Maybe I'm weird but I refuse to dwell on what a player does when they are no longer on the BJ except simply notice they always seem to perform better once they leave. I'm more concerned with the players that are here who don't/won't do it.

I'm not sure what our players actually do. They don't forecheck. They don't play defense. I can't think of a skill they do well.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Maybe I'm weird but I refuse to dwell on what a player does when they are no longer on the BJ except simply notice they always seem to perform better once they leave. I'm more concerned with the players that are here who don't/won't do it.

I'm not sure what our players actually do. They don't forecheck. They don't play defense. I can't think of a skill they do well.
Great post. I have shared the bolded sentiment for a long time. I think it has to do with the fact that the Jackets' GMs right from the getgo have never had a long term vision of what the team should look like when it was ready to compete. It appears to me that they have acquired players based on individual strong points rather than how they fit into whatever the plan is. The Bjorkstrand trade is a classic example of overlooking his many talents to ease a salary cap issue that could have been accomplished in many other ways.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

That's the whole thing - the team has lacked an identity since Torts left.
Both Hitch and Torts constantly preached about their expectations (whether it so heavy, gritty, hard to play against) and they generally expected the team to play like that (again there was exceptions for some players).
To me it seemed like the GM was trying to add defensemen who could skate (again copying what some other teams had done) but then the coach didn't have a system that made that work (I could have just stopped at the Coach didn't have a system). Throw in a terrible #1 goalie for last 2 seasons.

So it comes down to if JD and Jarmo know the type of players and system that they want, then they need to find the right coach for that system.

I'm not advocating for old school coaches but we need to have an identity and a coach that can get the best out of what we have.

Great post. I have shared the bolded sentiment for a long time. I think it has to do with the fact that the Jackets' GMs right from the getgo have never had a long term vision of what the team should look like when it was ready to compete. It appears to me that they have acquired players based on individual strong points rather than how they fit into whatever the plan is. The Bjorkstrand trade is a classic example of overlooking his many talents to ease a salary cap issue that could have been accomplished in many other ways.
Exactly Jarmo is a guy you don't want to play fantasy hockey against. Now in the NHL he gets destroyed, but in fantasy I'm sure he's a stud...

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

I’d say the point regarding Bjorkstrand, isn’t so much dwelling on what he’s doing with another team, it’s that he’s NOT doing it with the CBJ, when he did so consistently when he was with the team.

He’s not performing better with another team. He should have never been traded as a good chunk of people here were vocal about.

Many others considered him “redundant” or the “odd man out”.

In actuality he should have possibly been considered “untouchable” with only a few other players, and almost any other moves should have been made, other than moving Bjorkstrand.

Bjorkstrand > Laine

Ad

Ad

Ad