Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Bob lived in the penthouse on Spring St. condo at Neil. Laine lives in Miranova
1669829101101.gif

😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
it's weird knowing EXACTLY what unit he lives......good thing I'm not creepy.

It's not creepy or weird if it's painfully obvious from the photo if you know the layout of the city.

The residential part of downtown Columbus is really small. Not really hard to figure out which building he lives in when you can see a bunch of landmarks in the shot (Lower.com Field, COSI, Veterans museum, freight rail bridges over the river).

Given that Laine's facing away from the river, you'll probably see Leveque Tower – the building Panarin lived in when he was here – in the background of the interview.

Regarding Bob, his condo going up for sale was a news story here. Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre was his realtor! Also famously reported: Dubinsky and Wisniewski living by Muirfield on the same street as Jason Day and Urban Meyer.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Per Emily Kaplan, the Jackets should be pretty active in the market soon.

The Columbus Blue Jackets are looking to make some moves. With the news that Jakub Voracek is taking time away to deal with concussions -- and could potentially be done playing -- it's a strong possibility he goes on LTIR.
Obviously a Horvat or Chychrun trade would be way more fun/exciting, but specifically mentioning Voracek's LTIR makes me think it's going to be them taking on a couple of cap dumps. They have plenty of flexibility with just Werenski's LTIR money, and can't tap into Voracek's until they blow past that.

Could do what MTL is doing with Monahan – get an asset to take on cap, try to re-establish the player's value, then retain and flip for more. Not a whole lot out there that would excite on that front, but I could see them getting paid to take on a guy like Drouin, JVR, Hornqvist, Kerfoot, Johnsson or Dadonov. The last name there would make some sense as a pseudo-Voracek replacement.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Obviously a Horvat or Chychrun trade would be way more fun/exciting, but specifically mentioning Voracek's LTIR makes me think it's going to be them taking on a couple of cap dumps. They have plenty of flexibility with just Werenski's LTIR money, and can't tap into Voracek's until they blow past that.

Could do what MTL is doing with Monahan – get an asset to take on cap, try to re-establish the player's value, then retain and flip for more. Not a whole lot out there that would excite on that front, but I could see them getting paid to take on a guy like Drouin, JVR, Hornqvist, Kerfoot, Johnsson or Dadonov. The last name there would make some sense as a pseudo-Voracek replacement.

What kind of moves? "Looking to make some moves" is so vague that it's basically pointless. Targeting defensemen? Trying to add vets as some sort of "win now" thing or trading off UFAs-to-be like Gavrikov, Nyquist, Korpisalo?

Reactions: Cowumbus

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I like the idea in principle but why on earth would Montreal or Philly send us asset(s) with the bolded players since neither team is competing yet and needing that extra cap space for TDL plus their contracts would come off the books this summer anyway? If CBJ were planning to do this type of trade soon they should also need to take into account the current on-ice value of the player coming our way, we might not want a player that helps this team to climb up too high in the standings right?

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

f*** it, let's do both.

Go get Horvat and try to recoup whatever we can on a contending team looking to unload a contract or two before the deadline. Obviously we won't recoup the cost entirely, but a few mid round picks wouldn't be so terrible.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
What kind of moves? "Looking to make some moves" is so vague that it's basically pointless. Targeting defensemen? Trying to add vets as some sort of "win now" thing or trading off UFAs-to-be like Gavrikov, Nyquist, Korpisalo?

The only context provided is that it'd come with Voracek moving to LTIR, which would imply taking on enough money to exceed Werenski's LTIR.

f*** it, let's do both.

Go get Horvat and try to recoup whatever we can on a contending team looking to unload a contract or two before the deadline. Obviously we won't recoup the cost entirely, but a few mid round picks wouldn't be so terrible.
In other words:
- Acquire Horvat (existing assets out)
- Acquire cap dump (new assets in)
- Rebuild value of cap dump, retain + flip (more new assets in)
- Retain/flip guys like Gus + Gavy at deadline (more assets in)

Get assets to take cap dumps, rebuild their value + flip at the deadline (along with their other rentals) to recoup the acquisition cost of Horvat? I can dig it.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
The only context provided is that it'd come with Voracek moving to LTIR, which would imply taking on enough money to exceed Werenski's LTIR.

In other words:

Get assets to take cap dumps, rebuild their value + flip at the deadline (along with their other rentals) to recoup the acquisition cost of Horvat? I can dig it.
Granted, that's A LOT easier said than done and requires lots of moving parts. But that's the dream.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Granted, that's A LOT easier said than done and requires lots of moving parts. But that's the dream.
Yeah… lots of moving parts. Let's say as an example that the cap dump is Hornqvist when Florida needs to reactivate him in a few weeks.

In: Horvat
Out: Ceulemans, 2024 1st, 2023 2nd

CBJ activates Boqvist; comes close to eating up all of Werenski's LTIR salary with him + Horvat's cap hits.

In: Hornqvist + a 3rd + a 4th
Out: future considerations

CBJ exceeds Werenski's LTIR hit, puts Voracek on LTIR as well.

In: 3rd round pick
Out: Hornqvist retained 50% + a 5th for double retention

Takes up 1/3 of CBJ's retention slots.

In: 2nd round pick
Out: Nyquist @50%

Takes up 2/3 of CBJ's retention slots.

In: 4th round pick
Out: cap space (act as double retention partner)

Takes up the final retention spot.

In: late 1st + prospect
Out: Gavrikov

Would be losing their own second + their 2024 first + outgoing UFAs, but adding Horvat, a prospect, a late first, late second, a third rounder and two mid/late round picks in this example. If their own pick lands in the top five, they could use those picks (and other assets) to trade back up into the top 15 or so.

Reactions: Fro and CBJx614

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021

What about Boeser? Just requested a trade. He's not great but could be a Nyquist replacement as a middle 6 wing. Big contract at 6.6 AAV til 2025. Maybe we could get back a first for him? Just thinking out loud

Edit: Or could we take on Boeser in a hypothetical Horvat deal to lessen the assets we give? Would we have the space to pull that off?

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

It is pretty generic to say we are always looking to upgrade. Jarmo always says that.

However, if you are to believe Jake's words that he wants to play and he's not giving up on returning, we can't just load up and replace his salary. If he does get cleared to play again and we don't have the cap space to activate him, we've got big problems.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just got to that Gavrikov interview, he said he’s renting long term ant currently not looking into purchasing property in Columbus. Sadly, he’s probably gone at the deadline :(

That probably helps move our date for being competitive another year back, past 2024. Hate it.

If we're going to trade him it would be convenient to get a young LD back who can play right away. It doesn't look like any of our LD prospects will be ready for top 4 duty next year. Philip Broberg might be able to become a Forsling type player. He has the speed, might just need a change of scenery to get going. Hasn't been good in Edmonton so far. Oliver Kylington is another target. Very fast D who can skate the puck, although that's probably a different trade topic as the Flames would be looking for forwards not D.

In other words:

I think we need to think about it from Horvat's perspective. Even if he likes the idea of extending with Columbus, which he might because it's a great opportunity to elevate his role, he can do that in the summer after getting a playoff run in somewhere else. He's not going to want to go to a team missing half its roster in the middle of a brutal year. Go in the summer when they have an opportunity to fix lineup holes and they'll have Werenski and others back and you can go into next year fresh.

And that would save the Jackets assets anyways. At this point we've already signaled to Horvat's camp that we'd be interested in him. He can keep that in mind until next summer. Now perhaps we can leak to the press that we're also talking to the Wings about a Larkin trade. :naughty:

What about Boeser? Just requested a trade. He's not great but could be a Nyquist replacement as a middle 6 wing. Big contract at 6.6 AAV til 2025. Maybe we could get back a first for him? Just thinking out loud

Edit: Or could we take on Boeser in a hypothetical Horvat deal to lessen the assets we give? Would we have the space to pull that off?

Boeser is an oft-injured pure finisher that needs a great lineup situation to be successful. So basically acquiring him would amplify the Jackets problems.

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Just got to that Gavrikov interview, he said he’s renting long term ant currently not looking into purchasing property in Columbus. Sadly, he’s probably gone at the deadline :(
I don't know if I'd read much into it.
Seems like guys don't buy houses until they get a big multi year deal. Especially if they don't spend their offseason in Columbus. Even in those cases often times the guys gets moved. In todays economy with housing being so expensive and likely a recession coming its not a good time to be buying.
I know it's pretty common for players to be renting condos/houses/rooms from other players. I still remember Brule taking over Zherdevs condo as an example.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Sounds like the FO knows this season is shot , and is going to be aggressive to acquire all the assets possible for this draft . Guys most likely in play , Nyquist, Gavrikov , Texier , Boquist , Roslovic , possibly Robinson , and Merzlikins . Also it time to move KJ to center and let him play major minutes . Same with Chinakov , should be playing 18 min per night .

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sounds like the FO knows this season is shot , and is going to be aggressive to acquire all the assets possible for this draft . Guys most likely in play , Nyquist, Gavrikov , Texier , Boquist , Roslovic , possibly Robinson , and Merzlikins . Also it time to move KJ to center and let him play major minutes . Same with Chinakov , should be playing 18 min per night .

They are 13 points out of a playoff spot after a soft schedule.

They have to know they are out of it.

Nyquist& Roslovic should be given, Gavrikov as well if he’s not re-signing.

Just don’t see a longterm spot for Roslovic on the team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad