Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
View attachment 582403
With Texier not playing here we're entering this season with 3 players left who saw the ice with the 2019 playoff team. Jenner, Werenski, Gavrikov only.

The team really did execute an "accelerated retool" or whatever you want to call it. Looking around the league at other rebuild processes we accomplished 4 years of rebuilding in 2 years. Whether that was the right plan or not will be determined in front of our very eyes over the next handful of seasons.

A crazy way to think about it is we started "retooling" after the Covid era and we're already nearly "done" with it. It remains to be seen if the time frame was a good choice but there's no denying that the roster overhaul through the draft and free agency over the course of 20-21 and 21-22 has been insane. They picked a game plan and seriously committed to it. We're almost too close to the situation to understand how drastic the process was, relative to many other teams there were no half measures. Our FO if nothing else is aggressive and committed no matter which direction they're going.

Again I may just be wordsmithing but when I think about a retool I think about a team willfully breaking apart a team. THat only happened once several guys left and then we traded Jones.

To their credit they could have accumulated a lot more draft picks if they would have traded the guys who decided to leave.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Again I may just be wordsmithing but when I think about a retool I think about a team willfully breaking apart a team. THat only happened once several guys left and then we traded Jones.

To their credit they could have accumulated a lot more draft picks if they would have traded the guys who decided to leave.

Now imagine the retool/rebuild with Jarmo having the foresight to see what was going to happen in July 2019 (and offseasons of 2020 & 2021) where he a) isn't a buyer at the '19 TDL and b) gets picks/prospects for Panarin and Bobrovsky.

I think, perhaps, the only shocker of those 2-3 years was PLD requesting a trade before his 4th season of NHL hockey.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Now imagine the retool/rebuild with Jarmo having the foresight to see what was going to happen in July 2019 (and offseasons of 2020 & 2021) where he a) isn't a buyer at the '19 TDL and b) gets picks/prospects for Panarin and Bobrovsky.

I tend to think that this 2019 hypothetical is overrated as far as how impactful it would be.

It would be very nice to have a couple more late 1sts and to keep our own but that's probably all it would be if we sold at the deadline instead of bought. Panarin was incredible but even the best deadline rentals are fetching at most two late 1sts. The price doesn't scale with talent. And I don't think Bob would have gotten a 1st with the "playoff Bob" stink still on him, deserved or not.

It strikes me as mistaken that Foligno+Savard would have about the same rental price as prime Panarin but that is how I think the deadline works.

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I think, perhaps, the only shocker of those 2-3 years was PLD requesting a trade before his 4th season of NHL hockey.
I think Jarmo gave his best shot at retaining Panarin and Bobrovsky but knew it wasn't in the cards. I think he decided to give it a go. Opinions are mixed as to whether that was a good idea or not. Personally, I was and remain in favor, even given hindsight that the team lost in round 2.

Point being I don't think it was lack of foresight.

Doesn't materially alter your point about having more assets for the retool, I get it.

Reactions: LJ7

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Altering history, alters the present. So while I don't disagree with you it's also likely that Jones doesn't leave and thus we don't have Sillinger, Jiricek, Boqvist or Bean (depending on how you feel about them as a group since they are tied to the Jones deal). Things would be very different and we could be saddled with Jones at $9.5AAV and moving Werenski as well. ???

Certainly fun to think about but this team would be dramatically different and may not have as bright a future (again, depends on how you see present assets). I think it worked out this way for a reason and think CBJ will ultimately be better for it. Jarmo made different decisions (it would appear) after watching the assets leave/move on.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I was very supportive of Jarmo at the time in 2019 and I am supportive of the moves he's made since. I had no problem moving on from Bob at the time because I expected his next contract to be an albatross. I knew re-signing Duchene would be a long shot and I was ok with that risk. I would be disappointed if Jarmo and JD knew at the deadline that there was 0% chance to re-sign Panarin, but they took the big swings anyway. I would be even more disappointed if Davidson knew Panarin wanted to go to NY and he orchestrated the moves that followed.

Reactions: Monk

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
. I would be disappointed if Jarmo and JD knew at the deadline that there was 0% chance to re-sign Panarin, but they took the big swings anyway.

Deadline was Feb 20th, this article was on Feb 9th. They knew. For months they knew. About both Panarin and Bob. The moves were still worth it. They gave up literally nothing for Duchene. The Dzingel deal was terrible though.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

Thread full of number changes. Gavrikov to #4. Carson Meyer inexplicably gets #72, Olivier #24, Bayruether to #15, and Christiansen to #23

• Wow
Reactions: LJ7

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Louto! whoa, oh-oh-oh
He's for the money, he's for the show
Louto’s a-waitin' for the go
Louto, whoa, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh
He said, "One more job oughta get it
One last shot 'fore we quit it
One more for the road"

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Six people know what this is.

Wonder who the other four are?
I also got the reference, good song. Not ashamed at all. My first concert, my parents took me, I was 9. Don't remember too much of the show, but I do remember being at Blossom for the first time, back when you were allowed to bring in your own food and drink and sit on the lawn and have a picnic while watching the show. I miss some of the 70's.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I also got the reference, good song. Not ashamed at all. My first concert, my parents took me, I was 9. Don't remember too much of the show, but I do remember being at Blossom for the first time, back when you were allowed to bring in your own food and drink and sit on the lawn and have a picnic while watching the show. I miss some of the 70's.

I know the song but wasn't a Boz Scaggs fan. The 70's and 80's true rock was my jam especially after having my step-father make me listen to nothing but country (Hee-Haw just to set the stage). Sorry different rant, but I too get the reference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad