Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Well yes in that sense I agree, but not on the player. They need to find a way to get someone capable of playing in the top-4 at the price Leddy went for. Carle, though, isn't that guy.

You wouldn't want Leddy? Him and Barrie together wouldn't be good but EJ I can see if EJ plays the responsible role. The difference to me in Carle or Martin isn't much especially at 5.5, the age worries me, he's played a ton of heavy minutes in his career already. Carle would be a fall back option if we can't land a UFA.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I hope the Kings decide against signing Sekera and we land him. If they do go after Sekera I really think we should OS Toffoli.

If we could land Sekera it doesn't matter, especially if we could re-sign ROR or snag Soderberg/Vermette to step in for him. By the playoffs we could be rolling:

Everbeast - Duchene - Iginla
Landy - *ROR*/UFA - MacK
Tanguay - Malkin - McGinn
Cody - Winch/XXX - Rendo
(Bordy)

Sekera - EJohnson
Stuart/*ROR* - Barrie
Bigras/Dunk - Holden

Varly
Picks

With Bleackley, this season's first, the other one of Bigras/Siemens, Henley and maybe Smith/Bourke/that-other-1st-if-we-trade-ROR likely to be ready to make their way onto the Avs the season after that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You wouldn't want Leddy? Him and Barrie together wouldn't be good but EJ I can see if EJ plays the responsible role. The difference to me in Carle or Martin isn't much especially at 5.5, the age worries me, he's played a ton of heavy minutes in his career already. Carle would be a fall back option if we can't land a UFA.

I'd rather let EJ be the EJ we got to see this season than force him to clean up for someone again. Carle is someone EJ would have to clean up for, Martin is someone who could clean up for EJ.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

No no, I said the Avs need to make a trade like the Leddy trade but if that type of trade gets them Carle then I'm against it. He's played heavy minutes but he hasn't lost a step. He's still a very good defenseman, and he won't be a hinderance to EJ. Carle would be.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

We should not be using EJ as the responsible one.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If we could land Sekera it doesn't matter, especially if we could re-sign ROR or snag Soderberg/Vermette to step in for him. By the playoffs we could be rolling:

Everbeast - Duchene - Iginla
Landy - *ROR*/UFA - MacK
Tanguay - Malkin - McGinn
Cody - Winch/XXX - Rendo
(Bordy)

Sekera - EJohnson
Stuart/*ROR* - Barrie
Bigras/Dunk - Holden

Varly
Picks

With Bleackley, this season's first, the other one of Bigras/Siemens, Henley and maybe Smith/Bourke/that-other-1st-if-we-trade-ROR likely to be ready to make their way onto the Avs the season after that.

I meant if LA signs Sekera we should OS. I edited my post to make it more clear haha.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd rather let EJ be the EJ we got to see this season than force him to clean up for someone again. Carle is someone EJ would have to clean up for, Martin is someone who could clean up for EJ.

I agree. Every time EJ has been paired with a less reliable D man, his offense has dried up because he's worried about the puck ending up in his net. His overall play suffers too because his partner puts him in poor spots. Not only does this approach not play to EJ's strengths, it also leads to his confidence dwindling, which is the key to him playing well. That's why I've always pushed for him to have a reliable two way partner.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Paul Martin is great. But how many miles is it left in him?

I think he's got more miles left as a top-4 defenseman than Matt Carle does, that's for sure. I think that he can play with EJ for 2 years and by that time, I think one of Bigras/Geertsen/Siemens could potentially be ready to play with EJ

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I think enough for at least two good seasons. He's smart and a good skater.

How much money can we afford to give him without going crazy on the term?

Is this summer really the summer to try to land a big LD in FA? I like Martin but I'm not sure. It's the summer after we need to pay Barrie, Mac, EJ and as of now, ROR. And we'll still have Stuart and Iggys final years hanging over us then. I'd be more comfortable going into FA that year knowing how much room we have left for the coming years than perhaps creating a problem for ourselves next summer by signing Martin or Ehrhoff on too much money this summer.

Tough decisions...

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think he's got more miles left as a top-4 defenseman than Matt Carle does, that's for sure. I think that he can play with EJ for 2 years and by that time, I think one of Bigras/Geertsen/Siemens could potentially be ready to play with EJ

Martin prefers to play the right side though. I can see a Carle - EJ pairing being similar to Carle - Pronger. Carle is not a offense first defender anymore, he's responsible defensively, he's been babysitting a bunch of rookies on the Bolts blueline. He also has the offensive punch to help the offense, the team isn't getting anything out of the backend outside of Barrie.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Is this summer really the summer to try to land a big LD in FA? I like Martin but I'm not sure. It's the summer after we need to pay Barrie, Mac, EJ and as of now, ROR. And we'll still have Stuart and Iggys final years hanging over us then. I'd be more comfortable going into FA that year knowing how much room we have left for the coming years than perhaps creating a problem for ourselves next summer by signing Martin or Ehrhoff on too much money this summer.

Tough decisions...

He's making $5M/yr right now. Will he get around the same on his next contract? Possibly more because of the lack of good defenseman available? I don't really know. I think he could fit in at around $5.5M/yr for 3 years or so. Probably still have enough to sign our guys.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Tough decisions...

Well that same summer that you mentioned, the following players are also up for new contracts:

Tanguay, McGinn, Bordeleau, Winchester, Cliche, Everberg, Rendulic, Guenin, Redmond. Add in the fact that Hejda is almost assuredly taking a pay-cut if he re-signs, and that Zanon's buyout, Wilson, and Briere will all be off the books this summer, and I don't think it will be difficult for us to manage our contract situation moving forward if we only add 1 big name UFA.

We've got the kids coming now. Bleackley, Bigras, Geertsen, Siemens, Everberg, Rendulic, hell even Hishon if he can prove to Roy that he's worth a contract all will be cheap, affordable deals over the course of the next 5-7 years. Even the 1st round pick that we'll use this year can be thrown into that category. I wouldn't be worried about throwing money at a UFA LHD on short-term.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Well that same summer that you mentioned, the following players are also up for new contracts:

Tanguay, McGinn, Bordeleau, Winchester, Cliche, Everberg, Rendulic, Guenin, Redmond. Add in the fact that Hejda is almost assuredly taking a pay-cut if he re-signs, and that Zanon's buyout, Wilson, and Briere will all be off the books this summer, and I don't think it will be difficult for us to manage our contract situation moving forward if we only add 1 big name UFA.

We've got the kids coming now. Bleackley, Bigras, Geertsen, Siemens, Everberg, Rendulic, hell even Hishon if he can prove to Roy that he's worth a contract all will be cheap, affordable deals over the course of the next 5-7 years. Even the 1st round pick that we'll use this year can be thrown into that category. I wouldn't be worried about throwing money at a UFA LHD on short-term.

I'd prefer to solve it now by signing EJ, Barrie and MacKinnon this summer. And sign/trade ROR as well. Then go out and sign Ehrhoff.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd prefer to solve it now by signing EJ, Barrie and MacKinnon this summer. And sign/trade ROR as well. Then go out and sign Ehrhoff.

I don't see Erhoff leaving Pittsburgh to be honest, but I share your sentiments in that I want EJ, Barrie and MacKinnon ideally taken care of this summer. At least one of them

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Martin prefers to play the right side though. I can see a Carle - EJ pairing being similar to Carle - Pronger. Carle is not a offense first defender anymore, he's responsible defensively, he's been babysitting a bunch of rookies on the Bolts blueline. He also has the offensive punch to help the offense, the team isn't getting anything out of the backend outside of Barrie.

We actually get plenty out of our backend. EJ was a monster before his injury as was Barrie, and as much as I rag on Holden I do believe he's capable of being decent offensively. That's not where our problem is. Point I'm trying to make is I simply don't think Carle is very good anymore. I think he's at best a #4 and not in this world is he worth $5.5M. He's not the guy I'd want playing with EJ.

If we're trading with Tampa Bay for Carle, with his contract and they aren't holding anything, the absolute most I'm giving up is a 3rd round pick in 2016 and even then I'd have to think twice about it because he'd mess up our salary structure a lot. We'd still need a guy to play with EJ while paying Carle $5.5M to play on the 2nd/3rd pair. No thanks

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
We're going to be so bummed out when Martin signs a fair contract to return home to Minnesota and then the Avs re-sign Hejda for a few years.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Paul Martin is great. But how many miles is it left in him?

I think he's got at least 2-3 more seasons in him of being good enough to play with EJ, before falling back to a Hejda like level. If Bigras develops as expected, that would leave us with a season or two where he is still doing some learning on the job next to EJ while Martin-Barrie carry a little more of the load from the second pairing.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We're going to be so bummed out when Martin signs a fair contract to return home to Minnesota and then the Avs re-sign Hejda for a few years.

Nah, they've got no money. Coyle's and Scandella's extensions kick in next year and they've got Granlund, Haula and Folin as RFA's. I think their UFA spending finished last summer with Vanek

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Would Martin survive in the Western Conference. He has played his entire career in the East, maybe he wants to stay.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
EJ for sure has to be #1 priority and I think he will. The other two I'm not so sure they get signed, surely they can try but getting it done I don't know.

I'm not worried as some long term. Believe it or not they've been smart with their money. And messes either don't cost much or won't last long or both. In the grand scheme of things are fairly insignificant. You hear every year how teams are screwed and won't be able to keep their players and end up keeping just about everyone and we don't have any of these moron pre-lockout contracts that some do or need to pay anyone 10 million. Landy at 5.5 for 6 more years might save us a core player just himself. I guess it depends how much ROR bends us over for (if they keep him) and a lesser extent EJ but it's not critical mass. As others have pointed out actually getting some ELCs on the roster will help with that too.

Btw, at this point I've decided I don't care how much they pay O'Reilly. If they've decided to try to sign him again then just pay him and end the fiasco. If he takes up so much cap space he has to spend his career centering and babysitting 4th liners and rookies then so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad