Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

viach

Aug 5, 2007
I don't know what they could give up to get him though at this point, unless it's their 1st for Kulikov+ or something.

Kulikov has increased his value since last year when they talked about him. McGinn, Wilson, and Elliott have little to no value now, and I'm not sure what else they have that would entice Florida to move him. I don't think guys like Hishon and Siemens make sense. I think the Panthers would need a good NHL player, and unless they're still interested in McGinn with 1 year left, I don't think the Avs have that if ROR's off the table.

Problem for Avs, The Panthers lack quality LD

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Matt Carle could be had for cheap possibly. 30 year old LD with 3 years left at 5.5 per. Can eat 20+ minutes a night. Will help bridge the gap till Bigras is ready for the top 4 then can replace Stuart on the bottom pair. Tampa is going to want some cap room to sign Stamkos so having him make what he does on the bottom pair isn't smart. He's not a cap dump so won't be that cheap but maybe a 2nd kinda like what Tampa paid for Garrison last year. He won 2 national titles at UD so I can see him waiving to come back.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Matt Carle could be had for cheap possibly. 30 year old LD with 3 years left at 5.5 per. Can eat 20+ minutes a night. Will help bridge the gap till Bigras is ready for the top 4 then can replace Stuart on the bottom pair. Tampa is going to want some cap room to sign Stamkos so having him make what he does on the bottom pair isn't smart. He's not a cap dump so won't be that cheap but maybe a 2nd kinda like what Tampa paid for Garrison last year. He won 2 national titles at UD so I can see him waiving to come back.

He doesn't do it very well. Tampa fans can't wait to get rid of that guy and believe me, we'd be doing them a favour. There's a reason they went out and got Coburn. Hejda, even at this stage in his career, is better than Matt Carle

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Would like us to maybe sign Patrick Wiercioch for a depth defenseman. And then someone for the bottom six. Too bad we're tied to all this dead weight. As soon as we turn that into quality depth it'll look a lot brighter.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Problem for Avs, The Panthers lack quality LD

Actually I think he's been playing on the right side with Mitchell most of the year. He might be like Stuart in that he's more comfortable there, because even with Mitchell out now, he started the game the other day on the right side with Gudbranson despite Gudbranson being a righty. They switched them later in the first though.

I agree though I don't think they have a reason to move him unless it helps them up front.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He doesn't do it very well. Tampa fans can't wait to get rid of that guy and believe me, we'd be doing them a favour. There's a reason they went out and got Coburn. Hejda, even at this stage in his career, is better than Matt Carle

He can do 20 minutes with no problems if he has a reliable partner. Radko Gudas is an average defender at best. They got Coburn because the right side was weak and Coburn can play there where Carle needs to be on the left. Hejda is probably a bit better in the D zone but Carle is better in transition and the offensive zone. Tampa only wants to move him because they need to resign Stamkos who'll get a big raise.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He can do 20 minutes with no problems if he has a reliable partner. Radko Gudas is an average defender at best. They got Coburn because the right side was weak and Coburn can play there where Carle needs to be on the left. Hejda is probably a bit better in the D zone but Carle is better in transition and the offensive zone. Tampa only wants to move him because they need to resign Stamkos who'll get a big raise.

I just don't think he's very good at all. Add onto that he makes more money than he should, he's overpaid by about ~2 million if you ask me. Just don't think he'd be worth it, unless we're moving Brad Stuart for him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I just don't think he's very good at all. Add onto that he makes more money than he should, he's overpaid by about ~2 million if you ask me. Just don't think he'd be worth it, unless we're moving Brad Stuart for him.

He's overpaid by maybe a million, 2 puts him below Stuart and he's much better then him. If we can't land a top 4 UFA, bring back Hejda and acquire Carle it makes the top 4 respectable and much better then it currently is. The cost for a Kulikov or someone of that age is going to be much higher, also wouldn't want to pay a 34 year old Martin 5.5. Just look at the deadline and the prices that top 4 D went for, if you could get Carle for a 2nd that's good business to me. I would pair him with EJ and Hejda with Barrie.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Stuart's a little overpaid and Carle really isn't much better than Stuart, if he even is. Stuart sucks at moving the puck but has been solid in his own end and great on the PK; Carle sucks in his own end and on the PK, but can be adequate at moving the puck.

I'd rather pay Stuart the money he's getting than be strapped with Carle.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The problem with Gardiner is where does he fit? He is not good enough defensively to play on the top pairing with EJ. I could see him on the 2nd pair but we have Barrie there. No way I want them to play together and I like Barrie on the 2nd pair way better. He is also way too expensive for the 3rd pair.

So I don't see Roy getting him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He's overpaid by maybe a million, 2 puts him below Stuart and he's much better then him. If we can't land a top 4 UFA, bring back Hejda and acquire Carle it makes the top 4 respectable and much better then it currently is. The cost for a Kulikov or someone of that age is going to be much higher, also wouldn't want to pay a 34 year old Martin 5.5. Just look at the deadline and the prices that top 4 D went for, if you could get Carle for a 2nd that's good business to me. I would pair him with EJ and Hejda with Barrie.

So you wouldn't want to pay Martin 5.5 yet you want to pay Carle? Martin is infinitely better than Carle even at his age. I don't know what you see in Carle but he truly is not a good player anymore. He's a #4 on an average team, but probably a #5-#6 on a good team. Why trade for a guy like that? I get it we've already moved a 2nd for Stuart, but if you ask me, I'd rather have Stuart at 3.6 than Carle at 5.5. Carle sucks.

The day some team takes him off of Tampa Bay's hands is the day their fans will rejoice. They can't stand him

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
The problem with Gardiner is where does he fit? He is not good enough defensively to play on the top pairing with EJ. I could see him on the 2nd pair but we have Barrie there. No way I want them to play together and I like Barrie on the 2nd pair way better. He is also way too expensive for the 3rd pair.

So I don't see Roy getting him.

That's the real problem with Gardiner. He's not a bum, but he's not particularly good at anything either. At the cap number he's locked in at, I'll pass.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So you wouldn't want to pay Martin 5.5 yet you want to pay Carle? Martin is infinitely better than Carle even at his age. I don't know what you see in Carle but he truly is not a good player anymore. He's a #4 on an average team, but probably a #5-#6 on a good team. Why trade for a guy like that? I get it we've already moved a 2nd for Stuart, but if you ask me, I'd rather have Stuart at 3.6 than Carle at 5.5. Carle sucks.

The day some team takes him off of Tampa Bay's hands is the day their fans will rejoice. They can't stand him

The difference in Martin and Carle isn't much except for the age, rather take my chances on Carle keeping up his play the next 3 years then Martin. We'll Colorado is an average team so he'll help the top 4 now. Stuart really can't play the top 4 anymore while Carle can I'd rather pay more for the guy who'll play more meaningful minutes.

The only reason they want him moved is because he's signed for 3 more years. Stamkos and Kucherov need raises after next year so him on the books affects that since they have Koekkoek in the pipes who can replace him in a year or two for less. His play gets raged on but it's a bit overblown, the D was putrid before he came and he soldier it to now it's respectable. He makes more then Hedman so they want Hedman like results but Carle was a UFA they needed to overpay to get. Since he has been hurt the D has looked awful so they were missing him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The difference in Martin and Carle isn't much except for the age, rather take my chances on Carle keeping up his play the next 3 years then Martin. We'll Colorado is an average team so he'll help the top 4 now. Stuart really can't play the top 4 anymore while Carle can I'd rather pay more for the guy who'll play more meaningful minutes.

The only reason they want him moved is because he's signed for 3 more years. Stamkos and Kucherov need raises after next year so him on the books affects that since they have Koekkoek in the pipes who can replace him in a year or two for less. His play gets raged on but it's a bit overblown, the D was putrid before he came and he soldier it to now it's respectable. He makes more then Hedman so they want Hedman like results but Carle was a UFA they needed to overpay to get. Since he has been hurt the D has looked awful so they were missing him.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree but I personally don't think Matt Carle is very good. The difference between Martin and Carle, to me, isn't just age. Martin moves the puck better, he's better defensively, he's just the better overall defenseman to me. His play hasn't really fallen off either given the style he plays.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Martin is just incomparably better in his own zone than Carle. Like ridiculously so. Plus I trust him more moving the puck.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I hope the Kings decide against signing Sekera and we land him. If they do re-sign Sekera I really think we should OS Toffoli.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I hope the Kings decide against signing Sekera and we land him. If they do re-sign Sekera I really think we should OS Toffoli.

I don't know if I'd want to offer sheet Toffoli. Wouldn't that basically be saying goodbye to ROR and guarantee that we're moving him for futures?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't know if I'd want to offer sheet Toffoli. Wouldn't that basically be saying goodbye to ROR and guarantee that we're moving him for futures?

I see a speedy forechecking winger that can play with Duchene for years. I don't know why it says goodbye to ROR since we will have cap room. anything over like 3 million will put LA in a tough spot to match. I'd offer him a lot more than that.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree but I personally don't think Matt Carle is very good. The difference between Martin and Carle, to me, isn't just age. Martin moves the puck better, he's better defensively, he's just the better overall defenseman to me. His play hasn't really fallen off either given the style he plays.

Ideally what they need is to get someone like Leddy and at the cost he went for. The issue is Chicago will move out Sharp to fit under the cap and Boston possibly Ericsson. Don't see a team in need of shedding cap with a potential young top 4 LD available.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I see a speedy forechecking winger that can play with Duchene for years. I don't know why it says goodbye to ROR since we will have cap room. anything over like 3 million will put LA in a tough spot to match. I'd offer him a lot more than that.

Not really. They will probably let go every UFA and RFA they have before they let go of Toffoli. They've got 56.965M tied up in 8 forwards, 6 defenseman, and 1 goaltender and that includes that cap hit for Voynov. It's probably going to take between 5.5-6M on an offer sheet to snag Toffoli out of Los Angeles, and I don't want to pay that to him when we've got ROR, EJ, Barrie, and MacKinnon all needing new contracts next summer.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Ideally what they need is to get someone like Leddy and at the cost he went for. The issue is Chicago will move out Sharp to fit under the cap and Boston possibly Ericsson. Don't see a team in need of shedding cap with a potential young top 4 LD available.

Well yes in that sense I agree, but not on the player. They need to find a way to get someone capable of playing in the top-4 at the price Leddy went for. Carle, though, isn't that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad