Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXI

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I didn't like Crouse earlier in the season and thought all the hype was because of size. The more I watch him now, the more I'm starting to like him. Probably not in my top five but I wouldn't be upset if we ended up with him.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I'd love to see Hishon with Duchene as well. I'd think
Landy-ROR-Mack
Hish-Dutchy-Caron
Iginla-Mitchell-Tanguay

lines would be perfect. We already know the other 2 lines have a lot of chemistry let these guys try it out.

I wonder if this injury to EJ may be a blessing in disguise for us come contract extension time. Maybe we get 6-6.5/yr instead of 7-7.5.

Everberg? :help:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Finally decided to read into the prospects in this years draft tonight, and boy does it ever have me excited for our pick again.

What do you guys think are the chances that Marner or Crouse are still available if we stay where we are right now and pick at #8?

Personally, if any of Marner, Crouse, or Zacha are still avaialble when we pick at #8, then that's who we go with(As well as the obvious Top 3 guys). If not, probably Provorov would be my next pick.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
None. Probably have to be at least 7 to get either and that would only be if one team ahead of us took defense instead. After listening to Roy rant about the prospect pool again he's not going to take Marner and after he puts up 150 points this season he's not going to fall.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I read in someone's post that Roy said they want to find partner for EJ. Did he actually openly said those words?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Don't get me started on Crouse. :laugh: I might have to buy his jersey from whatever team takes him the kid gets so much undeserved crap.

It's not so much that I would give him crap, but more the fact that I don't believe he's going to be as good as his draft selection, if he goes end up going in the top-5 or even top-10.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It really doesn't matter because Crouse won't be available for us to select anyway so there's no need to go down that road. My stance is basically this, if Roy is going to get his big forward (and I think he will) then I'd like him to get the best one.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It really doesn't matter because Crouse won't be available for us to select anyway so there's no need to go down that road. My stance is basically this, if Roy is going to get his big forward (and I think he will) then I'd like him to get the best one.

You believe that Crouse is the best one available, yes?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So what Roy said in that interview is that they know they need someone to play with EJ but they're not gonna sign old free agents and they are looking for a young top 2 guy basically.

So where exactly would they find a young guy capable of playing top pair? He did say they don't want to trade ROR.

Top pair young defenseman will be extremely hard to find without giving up a lot to get one.

But it's good to hear that they at least openly admitted that they need a partner for EJ

Thanks for the link

Last edited by a moderator:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
So what Roy said in that interview is that they know they need someone to play with EJ but they're not gonna sign old free agents and they are looking for a young top 2 guy basically.

So where exactly would they find a young guy capable of playing top pair? He did say they don't want to trade ROR.

Top pair young defenseman will be extremely hard to find without giving up a lot to get one.

But it's good to hear that they at least openly admitted that they need a partner for EJ

If you look at history last few years, you can probably get one in a trade. This season Islanders did a great job acquiring Boychuk and Leddy. Maybe not exactly the best top-pairing material, but they hold their ground better than Hejda(Hejda would have been fine in first pairing couple years ago). St.Louis traded for Bouwmeester(he would have been perfect for us) couple years ago at trade deadline, they only gave up first round pick. I mean, teams have moved good defenseman, but Colorado has missed on like all of them. Stralman signed with Tampa(apparently he's been great for them :(). Sakic&Roy just has missed every opportunity to acquire good young defesenman and it's not like those players have costed too much every time. At some point they just have to start paying the price and acquire one!

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France

Thank you for this link. ;) It was very interesting to listen to ! I'm so happy to hear from him that he knows that we need a top pairing d-man to go with EJ and I'm actually happy Sakic and Roy didn't rush things at the deadline and trade ROR for a top pairing defenseman.

Roy said that ROR's name was never once on the table before the deadline, so this, to me, proves that Sakic and Roy want to absolutely keep ROR. I mean, Roy was praising the 92 - 90 - 29 line when he was talking there. He seems to love it. I think they know how important ROR is to the club and I think they won't make the same mistake they made with Stastny. They might end up overpaying him a bit, but I'm fine with that. Just lock him up long term !! Only ROR can block things this summer : if he were to ask for a long term contact for 7 mil or more. But how could he possibly ask for such a sum when his season hasn't been as productive as last years ?

I'm happy Sakic and Roy are taking the example of the Lightning and trying to mimic it. Building the farm team and making it team so that when injuries come they're able to continue playing at the level needed.
I have a feeling Sakic and Roy will draft well this year.

Two other things in the interview that made me smile : Roy saying that he's proud of Mackinnon and outraged by the schedule.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
I'd love to see Hishon with Duchene as well. I'd think
Landy-ROR-Mack
Hish-Dutchy-Caron
Iginla-Mitchell-Tanguay

lines would be perfect. We already know the other 2 lines have a lot of chemistry let these guys try it out.

I wonder if this injury to EJ may be a blessing in disguise for us come contract extension time. Maybe we get 6-6.5/yr instead of 7-7.5.

Landy-ROR-Mack
Hish-Dutchy-Everberg
Iginla-Mitchell-Tanguay

Everberg has the size to create space/havoc, crashes the net, and knows how to back check.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I wonder if Sakic and Roy will look at "surprising" guy for EJ that may come at a lesser cost since I think they re-sign ROR.

No one here would have ever thought Muzzin was a top pairing guy, but with how he complemented Doughty, he looked good up there. Same argument could be made for a guy like Methot playing with Karlsson. While EJ is not Doughty, it still falls in that realm where the complementary skills can outweigh the talent level. Hejda plays very well with EJ, but is not strong enough to carry his pairing and therefore has to play far less when paired with a Redmond.

I think that is the likely path the FO takes if they go for a younger guy. Who those targets are, I couldn't say, but it would not surprise me if it is a 2nd+player/prospect type trade for a guy we don't think of as a top pairing guy.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder if Sakic and Roy will look at "surprising" guy for EJ that may come at a lesser cost since I think they re-sign ROR.

No one here would have ever thought Muzzin was a top pairing guy, but with how he complemented Doughty, he looked good up there. Same argument could be made for a guy like Methot playing with Karlsson. While EJ is not Doughty, it still falls in that realm where the complementary skills can outweigh the talent level. Hejda plays very well with EJ, but is not strong enough to carry his pairing and therefore has to play far less when paired with a Redmond.

I think that is the likely path the FO takes if they go for a younger guy. Who those targets are, I couldn't say, but it would not surprise me if it is a 2nd+player/prospect type trade for a guy we don't think of as a top pairing guy.

As soon as I started reading your post the first person I thought of was Methot and how good he could be based on how he compliments EK. Then you went on to talk about that :laugh:
The way you're thinking is what I consider too. I don't know who that piece could be but I feel like it's what Roykic are holding out for.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Finally decided to read into the prospects in this years draft tonight, and boy does it ever have me excited for our pick again.

What do you guys think are the chances that Marner or Crouse are still available if we stay where we are right now and pick at #8?

Personally, if any of Marner, Crouse, or Zacha are still avaialble when we pick at #8, then that's who we go with(As well as the obvious Top 3 guys). If not, probably Provorov would be my next pick.

No way marner is but crouse could be. Also no way do I want Zacha if it's a top 10 pick or 1 of the 10 players I'd want were still available.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If they plan to keep O'Reilly, Avs still can trade for a defender at the draft. McGinn + 2nd round pick or even Avs first round pick are possibilities.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I wish feaster was still in Calgary so we could dump Stuart on him :laugh:
I wonder if there are any GM's who would take him on like the Briere/PAP trade this offseason? What tremendously overpaid players are UFA's next year? Teddy Purcell maybe?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Just for fun since the trade deadline is over and there isn't a whole let else to talk about but futures i'm going to make a hypothetical 2016/17 roster with us magically drafting Crouse and signing Soderberg and Sekera this offseason. Most likely scenerio is none of these happen but I wanna do this for fun anyway :laugh:

Crouse Duchene Iginla
Landy O'Reilly Mackinnon
Everberg Bleackley Soderberg
McLeod Mitchell Hamilton

Bigras EJ
Sekera Barrie
Holden/Siemens/Geertsen/Guenin/Stuart/Redmond/Hejda/UFA/Trade

Varly

If we have Sekera I don't expect Bigras to be better in 2 years. I don't know if Bigras ever becomes a top pairing guy. I just think he's better suited to EJ and Sekera is better suited to Barrie. Also McGinn could easily be a 3rd liner in that group but he's a UFA next year.

Could be a lot of fun!

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Just for fun since the trade deadline is over and there isn't a whole let else to talk about but futures i'm going to make a hypothetical 2016/17 roster with us magically drafting Crouse and signing Soderberg and Sekera this offseason. Most likely scenerio is none of these happen but I wanna do this for fun anyway :laugh:

Crouse Duchene Iginla
Landy O'Reilly Mackinnon
Everberg Bleackley Soderberg
McLeod Mitchell Hamilton

Bigras EJ
Sekera Barrie
Holden/Siemens/Geertsen/Guenin/Stuart/Redmond/Hejda/UFA/Trade

Varly

If we have Sekera I don't expect Bigras to be better in 2 years. I don't know if Bigras ever becomes a top pairing guy. I just think he's better suited to EJ and Sekera is better suited to Barrie. Also McGinn could easily be a 3rd liner in that group but he's a UFA next year.

Could be a lot of fun!

I think that line up is unrealistic given the salaries.

We'll have to give raises to EJ, ROR, MacK, Barrie and Everberg, plus Sekera and Soderberg... not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad