Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think that line up is unrealistic given the salaries.

We'll have to give raises to EJ, ROR, MacK, Barrie and Everberg, plus Sekera and Soderberg... not happening.

Yeah that's true. Although if Geertsen is one of the D who makes it that gives us 4 players on ELC's making less than 1 million. That adds up but you're right it's probably still too much.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wonder if Sakic and Roy will look at "surprising" guy for EJ that may come at a lesser cost since I think they re-sign ROR.

No one here would have ever thought Muzzin was a top pairing guy, but with how he complemented Doughty, he looked good up there. Same argument could be made for a guy like Methot playing with Karlsson. While EJ is not Doughty, it still falls in that realm where the complementary skills can outweigh the talent level. Hejda plays very well with EJ, but is not strong enough to carry his pairing and therefore has to play far less when paired with a Redmond.

I think that is the likely path the FO takes if they go for a younger guy. Who those targets are, I couldn't say, but it would not surprise me if it is a 2nd+player/prospect type trade for a guy we don't think of as a top pairing guy.

Yeah I've been thinking something like this for a bit. We don't need a #1 guy, we already have him. We just need someone who can play with him. As others have said they'd like to see someone on the responsible side so EJ can still be the one who jumps up and tries to create offense. Wouldn't this apply to our draft philosophy too? Do we really need a top pairing upside guy because of his offense or just a solid 2/3 that has the talent and skillset to play a lot of minutes.

m0ngr31

Since we have a good idea of what he's going to be I wanted to see what the other guys can do. I see Everberg as another middle six guy.

As much as I love Everberg, he's not a tweener or middle six guy at all. His ceiling is 3rd line. And even then he scores at about the same rate as Cliche. Not a ringing endorsement. If he could elevate his offensive game and get some points, I'd love to see him turn into another McGinn.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
As much as I love Everberg, he's not a tweener or middle six guy at all. His ceiling is 3rd line. And even then he scores at about the same rate as Cliche. Not a ringing endorsement. If he could elevate his offensive game and get some points, I'd love to see him turn into another McGinn.

He definitely creates a lot more than Cliché. I agree that I see him as a tweener right now, but I have no issue with him playing on an offensive line because he actually helps the plays develop even if he doesn't get points.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States

Completely different player than everyone you mentioned. I agree that Everberg will likely be a 3rd liner with maybe the occasional fill-in for the top lines but he will get a lot more points than he is getting this season just by the way he plays. He is progressing all the time and still adjusting to the NA game. IMO he is starting to look more comfortable out there in the last few games.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

This is one of the worst assessments I have ever read on here.

Everberg is one of our SMARTEST players. He goes to the net hard, makes at least 5 good passes a game, carries the puck with poise, uses his body to shield and hit, has an excellent stick. He is a 3rd liner now. And that is his first season in NA and spending it between the A and NHL. He isn't even close to a McGinn style player.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Just for fun since the trade deadline is over and there isn't a whole let else to talk about but futures i'm going to make a hypothetical 2016/17 roster with us magically drafting Crouse and signing Soderberg and Sekera this offseason. Most likely scenerio is none of these happen but I wanna do this for fun anyway :laugh:

Crouse (.9) Duchene (6) Iginla (5.3)
Landy (5.6) O'Reilly (7*) Mackinnon (5.5*)
Everberg (1.6*) Bleackley (.9) Soderberg (4.5*)
McLeod (1.3) Mitchell (1.8) Hamilton (.9*)
Henley (.6)

Bigras (.9) EJ (6.5*)
Sekera (6*) Barrie (5.5*)
Holden (1.6) StuarT (3.6)
Whoever (.9*) whoever (.9*)

Varly (5.9)
Berra (1.5)

If we have Sekera I don't expect Bigras to be better in 2 years. I don't know if Bigras ever becomes a top pairing guy. I just think he's better suited to EJ and Sekera is better suited to Barrie. Also McGinn could easily be a 3rd liner in that group but he's a UFA next year.

Could be a lot of fun!
puts us at 75.2. Lowest I could possibly see it is 73. Highest I could see it is 78. If we get lucky with some extensions then it will probably be doable unless the cap stagnates for the next couple years. Hopefully by then we can trade Stuart to free up a little space. Right now I don't mind Staurt at 3.6. Seems fair for his level of play and his current role. But that role will decrease if we have Bigras and Sekera on the roster. And that 3.6 looks pretty bad for your typical 3rd liner, PK guy. We could easily save 1.5 mil right there.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
EVB and McG really only share size, EVB is much smarter defensively, better on the puck, and a smarter passer; McGinn is faster, has a better shot and makes more big hits.

I love EVB because those areas he's stronger in are ones I love, but I have been a little let down by his finish around the net. His shot is meh, which is fine cause if he had McG's shot he probably wouldn't have been available, but if he could finish around the net I could see 15-20 goal seasons in his future which is more than enough for a 3rd liner who can step up into the top 6 as the third man on a line.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

You are just plain wrong here.

cliche- .61 points per 60,
Everberg- 1.12 points per 60
Almost double Cliche

Cliche- .07 points per game
Everberg- .18 points per game
More than double

That's not anywhere close to "about the same rate"

m0ngr31

This is one of the worst assessments I have ever read on here.

Everberg is one of our SMARTEST players. He goes to the net hard, makes at least 5 good passes a game, carries the puck with poise, uses his body to shield and hit, has an excellent stick. He is a 3rd liner now. And that is his first season in NA and spending it between the A and NHL. He isn't even close to a McGinn style player.

EVB and McG really only share size, EVB is much smarter defensively, better on the puck, and a smarter passer; McGinn is faster, has a better shot and makes more big hits.

I love EVB because those areas he's stronger in are ones I love, but I have been a little let down by his finish around the net. His shot is meh, which is fine cause if he had McG's shot he probably wouldn't have been available, but if he could finish around the net I could see 15-20 goal seasons in his future which is more than enough for a 3rd liner who can step up into the top 6 as the third man on a line.
I'm not saying he's the same type of player as McGinn, I was saying I hope he becomes another McGinn as in hopefully he can be a solid 3rd liner who can slot in to the top 6 when necessary.

I love him as much as the next guy, but he has 2 goals this season. He makes a lot of great plays, but that hasn't translated into points yet. We'll see what he brings next year.

m0ngr31

You are just plain wrong here.

cliche- .61 points per 60,
Everberg- 1.12 points per 60
Almost double Cliche

Cliche- .07 points per game
Everberg- .18 points per game
More than double

That's not anywhere close to "about the same rate"

I was being facetious. But don't play like he's setting the world on fire. He has 2 goals this year so far.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I was being facetious. But don't play like he's setting the world on fire. He has 2 goals this year so far.

How am I acting like he is setting the world on fire? I'm not the one exaggerating his production. All I said was you are wrong in your production comparison to Cliche. He is doubling up cliche. That's not anywhere close to your facetious comment (sorry I didn't pick up on that at first).

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

He is producing at twice the pace Cliche actually.

Points/60 on 5 vs 5 hockey. Our forwards over 300 minutes played.

2.19 Duchene
2.16 Iginla
2.02 MacKinnon
1.95 Tanguay
1.79 Landeskog
1.71 O'Reilly
1.40 Mitchell
1.29 Talbot
1.14 Briere
1.04 Everberg
0.78 McLeod
0.57 Cliche

(McGinn at 1.28 and Rendulic at 1.21, but they have played so little)

m0ngr31

He is producing at twice the pace Cliche actually.

Points/60 on 5 vs 5 hockey. Our forwards over 300 minutes played.

2.19 Duchene
2.16 Iginla
2.02 MacKinnon
1.95 Tanguay
1.79 Landeskog
1.71 O'Reilly
1.40 Mitchell
1.29 Talbot
1.14 Briere
1.04 Everberg
0.78 McLeod
0.57 Cliche

(McGinn at 1.28 and Rendulic at 1.21, but they have played so little)

You're right. He has 2 goals and Cliche has one :sarcasm: But seriously, this chart just makes me sad. Cliche is such a trainwreck. Is there someone with lower Points/60 in the league? He can't play offense and his line has to be sheltered by giving them all the offensive zone starts. :help:

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
You're right. He has 2 goals and Cliche has one :sarcasm: But seriously, this chart just makes me sad. Cliche is such a trainwreck. Is there someone with lower Points/60 in the league? He can't play offense and his line has to be sheltered by giving them all the offensive zone starts. :help:

Haha, there are 352 forwards in this league who has played over 400 minutes. 7 of them have a worse Points/60 than Cliche.

0.57 Cliche
0.55 Josefson (Devils)
0.52 Moss (Yotes)
0.50 Zubrus (Devs)
0.42 Glass (Rangers)
0.41 Malhotra (Habs)
0.38 McMillan (Yotes)
0.29 Bollig (Flames)

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Cliche shoots around 1.5% in his NHL career. Is there another forward that has sustained a lower shooting percentage over a sustained amount of time than this guy???

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Everberg isn't going to win any scoring debates. We know his production doesn't match his value, he knows it. He told Sadowski yesterday that he knows he has to produce to stay in the NHL. And he's gotten screwed out of points several times. Right now scoring from him isn't our primary concern. I don't think he will ever be a top 6 guy but maybe not the worst thing if he has to spot up due to injury, we've certainly seen worse.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
If we combine the last TWO seasons. And put the bar at 1000 minutes played. Cliche is the worst one in the league (of all 315 forwards) at 0.53 Points/60. Second worst is Malhotra at 0.60.

Talk about NO offense what so ever.

m0ngr31

Everberg isn't going to win any scoring debates. We know his production doesn't match his value, he knows it. He told Sadowski yesterday that he knows he has to produce to stay in the NHL. And he's gotten screwed out of points several times. Right now scoring from him isn't our primary concern. I don't think he will ever be a top 6 guy but maybe not the worst thing if he has to spot up due to injury, we've certainly seen worse.

Well I for one would certainly put him on the top line over Talbot. At least he can forecheck and drive the play a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad