Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I actually think hishon would slot in well on Duchene's wing. He's creative, pretty good defensively and surprisingly gritty for a small player.

Roy seems to prefer bigger players as wingers while going smaller with centres. If Joey can't 1) Stay healthy, and 2) Crack this team as a centre, I don't think he's got a future here

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Roy seems to prefer bigger players as wingers while going smaller with centres. If Joey can't 1) Stay healthy, and 2) Crack this team as a centre, I don't think he's got a future here

I am not even sure he gets a contract this off-season. Hard to say. I guess unless they plan on trying to find some euro gems this off-season again, they should probably keep him because whoever would be in that spot instead won't be better than him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm still surprised O'Reilly hasn't been given an A (Unless I missed it at some point and therefore am an idiot). I may just be crazy but I always see Roy coming over to pat him on the back on the bench anytime they show him on the bench after a shift, but he may not be singling him out and does it to everyone. Just seems like he's really trying to show him how much he's appreciated on the team.

But come on, give him an A already.

Roy has said it himself, "a player doesn't need a letter on his jersey to be a leader", then take it away from McLeod who the referees certainly aren't going to listen to on the ice.

To be fair he didn't really play that well for half the season. Wasn't doing the little things that he does so well, and what would earn him a letter. Neither has Dutchy really either though.

The guy that's stepped up and separated himself a bit in regard to who might be next in line to wear an A is EJ.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I am not even sure he gets a contract this off-season. Hard to say. I guess unless they plan on trying to find some euro gems this off-season again, they should probably keep him because whoever would be in that spot instead won't be better than him.

I think it depends on whether he can actually get healthy to play some games here because the kid is a walking piece of glass. He needs to show he can handle this league. Ultimately I think he returns but ends up in Lake Erie again next season all year long, then leaves in 2016 for Europe

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011

I agree. Roy does have a thing for bigger players.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Mmm I dont think I like that about Roy.

I mean I get the Avs arent like the biggest team and this is the West but I dont want his apparent love of size to blind him from guys that are just flat out better and more talented.

That being said I think if he was here in 2010 we would probably have Bjustad now instead of Hish...probably.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
What the hell happened to Nigel Williams' career? I knew we traded him, but after putting up 11G-30A in 116 games, he just drops off the face of the earth 4P in 40 games and then quits hockey?

Also lol, looking through our past drafts. I remember people having big hopes for Stephen Silas and now he's in Canadian University hockey..still only 22 so he could technically find some way to turn things around I suppose.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't know that he just loves bigger players. This team needs size and to toughen up. It is a clear weakness, I don't know that he's just going to keep adding it forever. He also likes guys that can skate and move well so he's not just wanting to add a bunch of big slugs.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't know that he just loves bigger players. This team needs size and to toughen up. It is a clear weakness, I don't know that he's just going to keep adding it forever. He also likes guys that can skate and move well so he's not just wanting to add a bunch of big slugs.

Except on defense.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Also lol, looking through our past drafts. I remember people having big hopes for Stephen Silas and now he's in Canadian University hockey..still only 22 so he could technically find some way to turn things around I suppose.

That's usually what happens when your head scout moves up in the draft to grab someone. Definitely not Pracey's finest moments. He made a pretty solid move by dropping down for Pickard, then moving back up for Bournival. Then immediately after felt a 2011 3rd for Silas made sense.

This pick later turned into Andrey Pedan. Immediately after was Vincent Trocheck. Also notable in the third round was Nick Shore. Pedan was pretty much a wasted pick by the Islanders, but there was some potential in that 3rd round we skipped.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 51m51 minutes ago
Salary cap discussion not on agenda at gm meetings, however the question will be raised. Nothing changed. Projecting upwards to $71 million.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
There was an interesting interview with Bettman last night on NHL Network where he said he felt this wasn't anything like the dead puck era and that the reason scoring is down is because the players, systems and coaches are a lot better than in the past. He also said he believed even strength scoring was up, alluding to recognizing the decline in powerplays was part of the scoring decline.

He also admitted his refs weren't perfect... but if he did anything else he'd probably get mobbed by the peanut gallery. He doesn't think the GM's will approve any additional video replays because they don't feel that exchanging a ref's opinion with that of the war room's will do anything besides 'exchange opinions'. Which is an interesting point of view since more often than not that video replay actually gives someone the chance to recognize a blown call, so it's not really an exchange of opinions so much as a chance to get your facts straight.

I do have a concern over video replays being used a stalling technique, almost like a timeout and ruining the flow of the game. As we've seen more often than not a goal can change the tempo of the game and everytime there's a review of an Avs goal it's like someone deflated their tires right after.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
There was an interesting interview with Bettman last night on NHL Network where he said he felt this wasn't anything like the dead puck era and that the reason scoring is down is because the players, systems and coaches are a lot better than in the past. He also said he believed even strength scoring was up, alluding to recognizing the decline in powerplays was part of the scoring decline.

not sure if ES scoring is up, i think it's around the same or down a bit but lack of PPs is the major reason and i agree with his analysis on why scoring is down.

and i also agree that this isn't DPE part dos. the puck still moves fast, it's just not going into the net.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

He also admitted his refs weren't perfect... but if he did anything else he'd probably get mobbed by the peanut gallery. He doesn't think the GM's will approve any additional video replays because they don't feel that exchanging a ref's opinion with that of the war room's will do anything besides 'exchange opinions'. Which is an interesting point of view since more often than not that video replay actually gives someone the chance to recognize a blown call, so it's not really an exchange of opinions so much as a chance to get your facts straight.

I do have a concern over video replays being used a stalling technique, almost like a timeout and ruining the flow of the game.
As we've seen more often than not a goal can change the tempo of the game and everytime there's a review of an Avs goal it's like someone deflated their tires right after.

Pretty much a guarantee this happens. I swear it s like as soon as something new is introduced, the next minute every player,coach,analyst has come up with 50 different ways to subvert it.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Pretty much a guarantee this happens. I swear it s like as soon as something new is introduced, the next minute every player,coach,analyst has come up with 50 different ways to subvert it.

I think it really depends on how it is implemented, since there's a good chance that coaches will treat it like a timeout and generally try to keep it for the duration of the game unless an important situation comes up.

One coach's challenge per game with some stipulations and you might not see that. Because why waste your challenge to disrupt the tempo of a game when it could possibly prevent a goal or ensure a goal? All dependent upon how it's implemented of course.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

All they need to do is make it so it's a coaches challenge on whether or not A GOAL should count. If a challenge is made and it's a frivolous one where there was really no need for a challenge, the referee can issue a 2 minute penalty to the challenging team if he feels it's not warranted. Or something like that.

For example : If the challenging team is contending that the play was offsides and the goal shouldn't count, if the play is obviously 3 feet ONSIDES, then that team gets a 2 minute penalty for delay of game. So use your challenge wisely, Lamoriello!! (****ing cheater)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Eh. Honestly...at this point I'm more excited by Smith and Bourke amongst our smurfs. Joey, like Stef, just seems like he needs a fresh start with a new organization. While Smith and Bourke are going to be nice bottom 6ers for some team at least, and both have the hands/vision/shot/skill to be quality middle 6ers (like if Talbs had had the hands to finish all of the chance his smarts and hardwork got him in position to squander).

With Rendulic ideally starting next season with the monsters (if we get healthy and his play in camp doesn't force Roy to keep him in the top 9), those 2, henley, heard, schumacher, the ahl vets, and hopefully another prospects or two coming in (euro fa / college guy / nantel), I'm not sure there's really a place for him in either the NHL side or the AHL squad.

I really think that it's just time to move on and wish Joey the best luck finding an organization where he can get back on track with. The lightening would be perfect for him IMO. Strong AHL club he can join and find his mojo with again, strong development staff to help him round out his game once his confidence is back, and an NHL squad that could put him in a position to excel if he gets back on track. Would be nice to see him put it together wherever he lands, unless it's with the dead things (who I think Elliott should join).

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

I do have a concern over video replays being used a stalling technique, almost like a timeout and ruining the flow of the game. As we've seen more often than not a goal can change the tempo of the game and everytime there's a review of an Avs goal it's like someone deflated their tires right after.

They could have a penalty as punishment for missusage.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I yearn for the day we acquire a top pairing defender. I don't know if that's going to take 5 years or something, but I cannot wait for the day that happens. So tired of these slugs on our blueline.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Mmm I dont think I like that about Roy.

I mean I get the Avs arent like the biggest team and this is the West but I dont want his apparent love of size to blind him from guys that are just flat out better and more talented.

That being said I think if he was here in 2010 we would probably have Bjustad now instead of Hish...probably.

Well we also might not have O'Reilly, Barrie, and Pickard. Hard to tell if Bigras was his guy as well. He does play in Pracey's preferred league in the OHL, and isn't overly big.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I yearn for the day we acquire a top pairing defender. I don't know if that's going to take 5 years or something, but I cannot wait for the day that happens. So tired of these slugs on our blueline.

I think you mean "another top pairing defender".
There's no way EJ isn't one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad