Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Pretty sure it's been mainly Stuart and Holden getting those match ups since EJ went down.

He has had way more "poor outings" than that.

I said nothing about how good he is, especially not compared to anyone else. Just saying i don't think he has been getting used in the role you think he has since EJ went down, and that his play was inconsistent even before EJ went down since you were acting like his struggles have been because he is doing it alone now.

For a good stretch it was Hejda-Redmond as the top pairing after EJ went down. Recently they've had semi rotating pairings. Hejda's seen time against top players, and when they've wanted more puck movement and didn't trust Redmond, they've used Holden-Stuart. When they've wanted pure defense against bigger players in the zone, they've used Hejda-Stuart or Hejda-Guenin.

The complaints about Hejda are always almost always from the crowd that thinks we should just move on from him. That's why how good Hejda is relative to Holden, Guenin, Redmond, and Stuart is important. He's better than them, and he'll be playing instead of one of them if brought back.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
5M for Boychuk? You're insane.

He's a #3 defender getting paid like a #1-2 defender until he's 38. The lack of available defenders on the market lately leads to many of them being overpaid (Orpik, Niskanen, Boychuk, Leddy).

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I believe Bob McKenzie recently referred to Hejda as a "lower tier depth defenseman". He said it more than once too. But it's just fans who don't want him back who are poking holes in his game......

Is he capable of playing in the top four in a below average defense? Absolutely. I'm just hoping that's not the type of defense the Avs are rolling with once again.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I believe Bob McKenzie recently referred to Hejda as a "lower tier depth defenseman". He said it more than once too. But it's just fans who don't want him back who are poking holes in his game......

Is he capable of playing in the top four in a below average defense? Absolutely. I'm just hoping that's not the type of defense the Avs are rolling with once again.

That was meant relative to the top D men available at the deadline. He's a reliable keep it simple defensive defenseman for a playoff run, that's how any team acquiring him would have used him because they already had a set top 4. That's what he was trying to say.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
For a good stretch it was Hejda-Redmond as the top pairing after EJ went down. Recently they've had semi rotating pairings. Hejda's seen time against top players, and when they've wanted more puck movement and didn't trust Redmond, they've used Holden-Stuart. When they've wanted pure defense against bigger players in the zone, they've used Hejda-Stuart or Hejda-Guenin.

The complaints about Hejda are always almost always from the crowd that thinks we should just move on from him. That's why how good Hejda is relative to Holden, Guenin, Redmond, and Stuart is important. He's better than them, and he'll be playing instead of one of them if brought back.

Pretty sure that Hedja-Redmond 1st pair experience only lasted a couple games, maybe 3.

I could care less if we got rid of him or not. I can see the argument for both sides. So your little theory doesn't apply with this "complainor". He just hasn't been that good this year, EJ or no EJ, 1st pair or 3rd, tough match ups or not.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
In an ideal world I wouldn't want to retain Hejda, but our other scrubs are so godawful that I don't see how we have a choice. It's too big a risk to bank on grabbing one of the few useful FAs and going into next season with Stuart slotted back in next to EJ. Our only real choice is to retain him and then if we acquire someone better, waive a guy like Guenin for example.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
He's a #3 defender getting paid like a #1-2 defender until he's 38. The lack of available defenders on the market lately leads to many of them being overpaid (Orpik, Niskanen, Boychuk, Leddy).

No, that's just the going price for defenders now. Toews and Kane reset the market with their contracts. $5m-$6m is a fair price for a top 4 guy when the elite players are making $10m+

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Pretty sure that Hedja-Redmond 1st pair experience only lasted a couple games, maybe 3.

I could care less if we got rid of him or not. I can see the argument for both sides. So your little theory doesn't apply with this "complainor". He just hasn't been that good this year, EJ or no EJ, 1st pair or 3rd, tough match ups or not.

Considering he's spent 90% of the year in a true 1st pairing role, and the last stretch in either a 2nd pairing or a rotating first pairing, I don't think this is an accurate assessment.

It's also why I bring up the other D men. How big a role has Nick Holden played all year in comparison to Hejda? How big a role has Redmond played? How has Guenin played in his stay at home role for Barrie in comparison to how Hejda would play?

Hejda's been one of Roy's most trusted D men all year and has been asked to do more than he's capable of. Give him the lesser role that Holden and Guenin have had the luxury of, and this idea that "he's just not good" would go away.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
No, that's just the going price for defenders now. Toews and Kane reset the market with their contracts. $5m-$6m is a fair price for a top 4 guy when the elite players are making $10m+

Those raises were done in anticipation of a raising cap. Suddenly it's looking like the cap might not rise at all. It might possibly go down next year.

I don't argue that defenders don't get paid this much. They obviously do. But they're not worth it. A Boychuk making 8-9% of the cap is nuts. He's not that good. But the scarcity of defenders reaching the market makes the prices for those that do insane.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

So I'm kind of happy that Garth Snow has officially crippled the Islanders for the near future.

At some point, they will figure out that both Boychuk and Leddy are middle pairing d-men at best, being paid as top d-men and they won't have the wiggle room to add true top pairing d-men.

Tavares is going to want to get REALLY PAID at some point...unless he goes to Toronto for the minimum. :sarcasm:

Best of luck!

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Considering he's spent 90% of the year in a true 1st pairing role, and the last stretch in either a 2nd pairing or a rotating first pairing, I don't think this is an accurate assessment.

It's also why I bring up the other D men. How big a role has Nick Holden played all year in comparison to Hejda? How big a role has Redmond played? How has Guenin played in his stay at home role for Barrie in comparison to how Hejda would play?

Hejda's been one of Roy's most trusted D men all year and has been asked to do more than he's capable of. Give him the lesser role that Holden and Guenin have had the luxury of, and this idea that "he's just not good" would go away.

Considering he wasn't that good for that 90% of the time, and has only gotten worse/more inconsistent since EJ went out, yeah, that would be an accurate statement. The guy has been inconsistent no matter the role or situation he has been placed in all year. At this point in time he isn't a top4 guy.

I don't know why you keep asking me questions about Holden, Stuart etc. What else do I have to say to let you know that I'm not comparing them, and that I get your point why it's not a bad idea to keep him around?

He has been playing a lesser role recently, even 3rd pairing some games.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Those raises were done in anticipation of a raising cap. Suddenly it's looking like the cap might not rise at all. It might possibly go down next year.

I don't argue that defenders don't get paid this much. They obviously do. But they're not worth it. A Boychuk making 8-9% of the cap is nuts. He's not that good. But the scarcity of defenders reaching the market makes the prices for those that do insane.

The cap will continue to rise in the long run, even if it stagnates for a year. A veteran top 4 defenseman making 8% of the cap sounds about exactly where they should be. When the cap first came out an elite defenseman like Chara was making $7m, that's 18% of the cap.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
"Dont worry, the cap will rise" seems to be every excuse whenever a bad contract is signed. I wouldn't feel comfortable with Boychuks deal.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Oh I wish I could sign just ONE european for the Avs this summer. Dean Kukan D-man from Luleå. He just looks so damn good.

Tonight he looked like Drew Doughty.

Could any of the other swedes back me up on this? Freudian?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh I wish I could sign just ONE european for the Avs this summer. Dean Kukan D-man from Luleå. He just looks so damn good.

Tonight he looked like Drew Doughty.

Could any of the other swedes back me up on this? Freudian?

Game like Doughty? As in very steady in his own zone, very mobile and can chip in offensively too?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Game like Doughty? As in very steady in his own zone, very mobile and can chip in offensively too?

I don't know if Doughty is his comparable but tonight he reminded me of him.

21 year old, undrafted left handed defenseman, already played WC for Switzerland.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=66177
I love that how he takes the puck out of the zone. Always in control. Doesn't throw it away.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Top 4 D men don't really hit the FA market any more. Teams re-sign them or trade them to teams that do.
When I say top 4 I mean legit, surefire would be a top 4 on just about any team type.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Thread on the main board really had me thinking, what trade was more important for us, getting Varly? Or getting EJ?

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Thread on the main board really had me thinking, what trade was more important for us, getting Varly? Or getting EJ?

Varly.

We can win games without EJ on Varlamov's back alone. We can't win with Berra in net just because EJ is in the line up, as great as he is.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

If either Brodin or Hamilton was there at #11 instead of going #9 and #10 it would be the trade of the decade.

I'd say getting EJ. Those defenseman at his age are harder to find.

There has been lots of good goalies available in recent years. But right now I wouldn't trade Varly for any goaltender in the league.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm a very casual SHL viewer, so I couldn't tell you who is good or not.

It'll be interesting to see if Avs continue to sign undrafted players from Europe, now that Rendulic, Everberg and Noreau all have looked good this year.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Varly.

We can win games without EJ on Varlamov's back alone. We can't win with Berra in net just because EJ is in the line up, as great as he is.

And yet I'd say it's harder to trade for an EJ than a Varly, so I'd lean towards that trade being more important.

How many pretty good starters have been traded since or around Varly's time? Lehtonen, Schneider, Bernier, Bishop, Luongo... plus the ones out of free agency.

FoppaForsberg*

Getting EJ I'd say. Goaltending is incredibly important, but much much cheaper and easier to get. Trading for a #1D man? prepare to pay through the nose.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I'm a very casual SHL viewer, so I couldn't tell you who is good or not.

It'll be interesting to see if Avs continue to sign undrafted players from Europe, now that Rendulic, Everberg and Noreau all have looked good this year.

Damn. Someone who has seen Kukan need to back me up on this and at least let me know that I'm not crazy, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad