Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
You think maybe that might be due to having to shut down opposing teams top players essentially by himself without EJ?

Hejda making mistakes on the top pairing does not mean he's not better than Holden, Guenin, Redmond, and even Stuart in a lesser role. Anyone asking for Hejda to be cut loose can't complain about any of those guys next year.

pretty sure Hedja isn't getting top pair mintues and roles without EJ.

And his play has been inconsistent way before EJ went down.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
pretty sure Hedja isn't getting top pair mintues and roles without EJ.

And his play has been inconsistent way before EJ went down.

Hejda's still getting top shut down matchups, because no one else on the the team is capable of doing that.

He's not a top pairing D man, that's why he has the poor outing every 10 games or so. That doesn't mean he's not a good 2nd or 3rd pairing D man, and just as good as most of their UFA options this summer, and way better than Guenin, Holden, Redmond, and even Stuart.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
There is no other way. Niskanen and Orpik got 5.75 and 5.5 last year.

If they don't give him that, he gets it on the open market easily.
Hey, that's what they have to do and that's fine, but we're talking about a 31 year old whose career high before this year was 23 points. That's a lot of dough for a lot of years.

Hejda's still getting top shut down matchups, because no one else on the the team is capable of doing that.
Stuart/Holden have been getting a lot more minutes than Hejda since EJ went down, and generally seem to get the toughest matchup.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He's not the "only" option, but among the options, he's the only one that's currently on the team, and wants to stay, very likely for a reasonable price.

Stuart and Hejda play different sides, and both are fine on the team IMO especially if Bigras is ready. Stuart would make the perfect partner for him, the way he did with Vlassic who told Roy lots of good things about how he helped him break into the league.

XX - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Bigras/Holden - Stuart

Personally I feel like Hejda as the absolute last resort after all other options have been exhausted would still be unacceptable in the top four next season. It might be something that has to happen if there really are no other options but I don't think that'll be the case. However, they can't go into the offseason thinking they're already set at 3 of the 4 spots in the top four because they're not.

Stuart said he prefers the right side and can play there. I also like the idea of putting him with Bigras. To me that's just more reason to move on from Hejda. Don't think he should be in the top four and we'll have Stuart, Holden, Redmond, Bigras, etc battling it out for spots on the bottom pairing.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Boychuk got $1M/year too much for 2-3 years too long. Islanders didn't get any discount here.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Rudy Kelly ‏@rudykelly 1h1 hour ago
Since January 2nd, Jarret Stoll and Mike Richards have scored the same number of points for the Kings.

i wanted stoll as 3rd line C earlier. i'm not sure if i want him anymore. offense is declining and his D isn't great enough to cover that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think many people realize that Stuart/Holden have been our #1 pair recently.

Stuart/Holden have been getting a lot more minutes than Hejda since EJ went down, and generally seem to get the toughest matchup.

That's only because of how Roy/Tourginy have been using the pairings with EJ out. They've spread out the minutes more, and Holden's getting more PP time.

They started out with Hejda-Redmond as the shutdown pairing with EJ out, but Redmond just wasn't capable of this, and Barrie wasn't a better option defensively. So lately they've been going with rotating pairings, using Hejda to spot fill on different combos.

If you have an opportunity to do so, go back and skim through the LA game. They'd stick with their regular pairings for a while, then shuffling them up for a couple shifts, then go back. Sometimes because of a PP, but they'd just keep going with it for a bit. Keeping the same mashed up combos coming out of a tv timeout when they had the opportunity to go back.

Hejda spent time with Guenin on a pure shutdown type of line, he also played with Stuart, he also played with Redmond and Barrie. Not just throughout the game, but from the puck drop in the first period. It was their game plan entering the game. He's using Hejda in multiple roles to help spot fill for the weak lineup. It's too much to ask of him, especially since he's likely still battling through that knee injury.

Holden's facing top lines on occasion because they need a capable puck mover to get the puck out of harms way, and this isn't Hejda's game, and they don't fully trust Redmond and Barrie defensively. Hence the Holden-Stuart combo as the only one that really makes sense in that fashion.

As Barrie has been better and better lately, I wonder if they'll start to test him defensively and go with a Hejda-Barrie top pairing soon.

Last edited:

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
EJ will be getting at least 7m per year, if not more. Easily.

Long term I would be fine for $7 million a year for EJ. He took a decent deal last time with the avs, and they seem to both like eachother. Maybe they can squeeze him in for under $7? but I don't know. We need sherman to work his accounting magic!

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I wonder if EJ will take a small discount if offered a NMC/NTC of some sort? Also Boychuk not only got that term and money, but also a NMC along with a NTC that kicks in later when the NMC is obsolete. Boychuk's agent deserves a raise.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
i wanted stoll as 3rd line C earlier. i'm not sure if i want him anymore. offense is declining and his D isn't great enough to cover that.

He's definitely declined all around. I can see the Kings using him up for the playoff run and then just letting him walk. Some stupid team is going to overpay for him. Same goes for Justin Williams and Robyn Regehr, though when I watched the game on Tuesday the guy who gave me the most belief in having something left in the tank was Regehr.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
It could cost the Avs close to 100 million if they choose to lock up EJ and Barrie long term.

Damn, Barrie was wise for taking that prove it contract.

Hopefully EJ signs something like a 7 year, 48 million dollar deal. Barrie probably in the neighbourhood of a 6 year, 30-36 million dollar deal.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It could cost the Avs close to 100 million if they choose to lock up EJ and Barrie long term.

Damn, Barrie was wise for taking that prove it contract.

Avs possibly unwise for not paying for potential and giving him a long-term contract? Probably smart move by them at the time but they're going to pay for it now. Just like they did with O'Reilly.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I would be fine giving EJ 7 years, but Boychuk? 31 years old he will be at the end like 38 years old. Damn, that's gonna look bad then. Term is just too long. Great for Boychuk.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

He's not a top pairing D man, that's why he has the poor outing every 10 games or so. That doesn't mean he's not a good 2nd or 3rd pairing D man, and just as good as most of their UFA options this summer, and way better than Guenin, Holden, Redmond, and even Stuart.

Pretty sure it's been mainly Stuart and Holden getting those match ups since EJ went down.

He has had way more "poor outings" than that.

I said nothing about how good he is, especially not compared to anyone else. Just saying i don't think he has been getting used in the role you think he has since EJ went down, and that his play was inconsistent even before EJ went down since you were acting like his struggles have been because he is doing it alone now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad