Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
If he was a forward I could see the Avs giving him ice time immediately at this point, I don't think they'd be all that opposed to sending Hamilton down or scratching Briere. Defense though, at this point in the season, as bad as our defense is I don't see us going with an experiment.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Most college players won't be signing until late March... All signs point to them being out of it at that point, and if that is the case I could see them giving a game or two to a college kid.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Is he even ready for that playing time? How is he not another Justin Schultz?

No clue. That's why I'm saying "if'". How do you know if any prospect is ready? You don't really until they get to this level. But the better they look at prospects makes it a little easier to give them that initial chance. The only way I see us offering this guy playing time is if he has shown to be better than Hayes, who we apparently didn't trust enough to offer him playing time without first earning it in camp/the minors.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So this Mike Reilly kid is from Minnesota and Friedman says his dad is a minority owner with the Wild.

That's all I need to know about our chances.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
So this Mike Reilly kid is from Minnesota and Friedman says his dad is a minority owner with the Wild.

That's all I need to know about our chances.

That's so annoying... They don't have any room for him on the blue line.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
Yeah, there needs to be some rule where the drafting team owns their rights for a year after graduation.

What's the scholie situation like for Hockey? I know most sports only give out partial scholarships for the most part, other than football and basketball. But not sure about hockey. That's not your normal college athletics. I could see a league like Denver is in giving out full scholies, considering hockey seems to be their top sport.

They give full scholarships (well .. I guess it depends on what full means to you). They should cover tuition, food, and place to stay. I think even non-top schools pay for one or two flights home for the player.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
It'd be amazing if we managed to pick up Reilly. I remember seeing him in Development Camp right after he was drafted and wondering how I hadn't heard about him. For comparison, I thought he looked better than Johansen and Jenner (second only to Atkinson). So smart with the puck. But then I looked him up and saw he was 160 pounds soaking wet. But given he's quite a bit bigger... that'd be a nice steal.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's depressing that easily the worst defensemen on the team hasn't even started his contract yet.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
It's depressing that easily the worst defensemen on the team hasn't even started his contract yet.

I really hope him and Berra has made them very careful about giving marginal players early extensions.

Or, I don't know. They thought Stuart was able to play 1st pairing minutes :help:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Yep. Don't know why we were in such a rush to be him locked down. It wouldn't have hurt at all to have him play some games before extending him. It isn't like we could possibly lose him before July 1st.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
We're all talking about Holden, right? If we're ranking the scum defense, it goes something like this for me (worst to best).

General Guenin - 9 times out of 10 he just stands there waiting for other people to take his assignment. And when he just stands there he doesn't even do a good job defending the net. He's not very physical, not a great shot blocker and has pucks for brains.

Holden - He moves his feet, but he's overall just a warm body on the ice. He doesn't have one redeeming quality that makes him standout, at least last year he scored backdoor PP goals. His passing, shooting, skating, physicality, etc... they're all mediocre at best.

Redmond - He can skate and he sometimes has an outstanding breakout pass. But defensively he leaves his assignments too often, overestimates his ability to skate the puck out and frequently is out of position or behind the play. He doesn't use his stick effectively to block shooting lanes or defend against other skaters correctly.

Stuart - He's no more than a 5/6 defender, which says a lot since I'm ranking him so high. On some nights Redmond is better, but overall Stuart seems to play within his means and is pretty damn effective defending the net and on the PK. The problem is he handles the puck like a live grenade and causes a lot of turnovers with poor passes, either to covered teammates or just passing it inaccurately or too slowly even (how the hell do you pass it too slowly?). He's been better than I expected, mostly due to the rest of the defenders being far worse than I had hoped.

Hejda - Self explanatory, the guy works hard but has had a lot of mental lapses when playing without EJ.

Barrie - What a breakout year, I even think he's starting to get the hang of things defensively. He won't ever be a physical force back there, but he seems to be learning the Dan Boyle school of defending with smooth skating and stickwork. Doesn't hurt that his offensive skills keep the puck out of his zone fairly well.

EJ - Do I even need to discuss this one?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think Brad Stuart is far worse than Guenin, Holden and Redmond. Those 3 are all tied for 2nd, 3rd and 4th worst.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I would EASILY put Holden ahead of Stuart and especially Redmond. The latter to be honest hasn't impressed me at all and ideally is a 7th/8th d-man on our team when we're good, if he's still here

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think Brad Stuart is far worse than Guenin, Holden and Redmond. Those 3 are all tied for 2nd, 3rd and 4th worst.

I just can't agree with that, I've seen more positives out of Stuart over the season than I've seen out of the others. He can make some really boneheaded mistakes, but he's so much more effective defensively than those guys it's maddening.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Hm this is a good question actually. For me it changes based on the night. Stuart and Guenin seem to crash harder when they are bad it's REALLY bad. Redmond is better when he's not asked to do too much and the fancy stats people seem to believe he's decent. Holden seems to have longer peaks and valleys. Considering the money Stuart is the worst. The guy with the least amount of talent is Guenin.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i'd have stuart above holden and guenin and above redmond for now. but i'd prefer to keep redmond there on 3RD.

he's playing way above his head now but i think he can be very solid #5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad