Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
My head almost exploded this morning. :(

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=98821119&postcount=123

This was a reply to me pointing out that even if Flyer fans are using a 'small sample size - one 7 game playoff series' to try and pump up Couturier, that leaf fans have done the same with Gardiner over the past 2 years with his series against the Bruins.

I guess with some fans, the past doesn't count and sample sizes certainly don't mean much, except when they go to serve their own point of view. :shakehead

Not sure why you do it Bender. It must be like working in a soup kitchen. You try and help these people, and sometimes you get that one person that really turns their life around and makes you feel good. Through most of it, hours put into people that won't change their views.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
My head almost exploded this morning. :(

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=98821119&postcount=123

This was a reply to me pointing out that even if Flyer fans are using a 'small sample size - one 7 game playoff series' to try and pump up Couturier, that leaf fans have done the same with Gardiner over the past 2 years with his series against the Bruins.

I guess with some fans, the past doesn't count and sample sizes certainly don't mean much, except when they go to serve their own point of view. :shakehead

I feel like you have to remember that a lot of the bizarre people you'll encounter on the main boards are either children or people you would otherwise not bother engaging with if you met them in real life. Good for entertainment when bored but not worth sweating over.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Not sure why you do it Bender. It must be like working in a soup kitchen. You try and help these people, and sometimes you get that one person that really turns their life around and makes you feel good. Through most of it, hours put into people that won't change their views.

I certainly don't put in a whole lot of hours. I try to stay away for the most part. I check out the trade threads because you generally get a good idea of who is expendable from other team's fans perspective.

Generally speaking, it's always the same story: fan from other team puts up trade proposal for a great young player and only wants to give up pieces that they've already determined won't be nearly as good as hyped or as they've shown so far.

Example: MDZ for RoR - what a disaster that would have been!! :laugh:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think of the main boards as a bunch of overgrown weeds in an open space/park, you gotta weed whack it on occasion to mitigate the spread of lies but you'll never stop it from spreading completely. Still, gotta do your duty every once in a while.

I like the grade/rank your own team threads. THAT is where you find the truth about how fanbases value their players.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I just try to avoid the main boards... sometimes when I have nothing better to do I venture down those paths, but I'm quickly turned off by the idea.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Anyway, that Reilly thing is another reason why I'm just not a fan of the NCAA system. A team can't sign these guys while they are in school and then if a kid blows up sometime in his career he can choose to do whatever he wants. Who's to say the Avs can even keep Butcher? I'm not really worried about it but it could easily happen to us too.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I think of the main boards as a bunch of overgrown weeds in an open space/park, you gotta weed whack it on occasion to mitigate the spread of lies but you'll never stop it from spreading completely. Still, gotta do your duty every once in a while.

I like the grade/rank your own team threads. THAT is where you find the truth about how fanbases value their players.

? there's a grade or ranking?

Agreed on that. I remember going inside NYR gameday threads to read about how their fans really felt about Del Zotto instead of reading the nonsense on the main boards. Some of the same fans were dumping on him in the game threads only to try and pump him up in the trade thread.

I'm not sure what this accomplishes. They should do a study to find out what drives people to do this.

Not that certain Avs fans haven't been guilty of it as well...I remember people trying to sell Svatos and Brett Clark after it was clear that their usefulness was extremely limited with the Avs. Although, I haven't really seen it in a long time from an Avs fan.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Anyway, that Reilly thing is another reason why I'm just not a fan of the NCAA system. A team can't sign these guys while they are in school and then if a kid blows up sometime in his career he can choose to do whatever he wants. Who's to say the Avs can even keep Butcher? I'm not really worried about it but it could easily happen to us too.

They can sign these kids but then that player turns pro and cannot play NCAA anymore. Waiting to sign them is when you get into potential trouble.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I believe the easier loophole was closed in the last CBA and players now have to wait until August to be UFAs... it is a risk to wait that long.

Kids coming out of the CHL can refuse to sign as well and become free-agents or re-enter the draft. Maybe IC can answer this, but I think Geertsen can become a UFA if he refuses to sign. He was born before June 30th, so he might be able to skip the draft if he refuses to sign (may not as well... I'm not sure on the rules there).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think he'd have to go back through, Blandisi did.

Ok, I suppose that's an advantage the drafted team has is getting the guy NHL time right away. But if someone really blows up and is a hot commodity they are better served waiting.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They can sign these kids but then that player turns pro and cannot play NCAA anymore. Waiting to sign them is when you get into potential trouble.

Right but in most cases there is a reason why they wait. Should the Avs sign Butcher now just in case? A guy like Hayes it's pretty dangerous to let a first rounder go his full NCAA career, if we took anyone that high they better be ready to sign him within a year or two. Guys taken in later rounds obviously there was a reason for that but at what point does it become too big of a risk that the guy walks away?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
? there's a grade or ranking?

Agreed on that. I remember going inside NYR gameday threads to read about how their fans really felt about Del Zotto instead of reading the nonsense on the main boards. Some of the same fans were dumping on him in the game threads only to try and pump him up in the trade thread.

I'm not sure what this accomplishes. They should do a study to find out what drives people to do this.

Not that certain Avs fans haven't been guilty of it as well...I remember people trying to sell Svatos and Brett Clark after it was clear that their usefulness was extremely limited with the Avs. Although, I haven't really seen it in a long time from an Avs fan.

I mean on the main board or whatever. Someone starts a thread saying grade your players this season thus far, or rank your prospects or who are your 5 untouchables or whatever. People give honest answers in those and it's a good place to really see how fanbases feel about certain players. And exactly, going to their home threads is a good place too.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Mike Reilly would be amazing and the Avs could easily offer him playing time. I won't hold my breath tho

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Yeah, there needs to be some rule where the drafting team owns their rights for a year after graduation.

What's the scholie situation like for Hockey? I know most sports only give out partial scholarships for the most part, other than football and basketball. But not sure about hockey. That's not your normal college athletics. I could see a league like Denver is in giving out full scholies, considering hockey seems to be their top sport.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Mike Reilly would be amazing and the Avs could easily offer him playing time. I won't hold my breath tho

If we couldn't offer Hayes playing time I doubt we do for this guy. We only added more depth since last year. Hayes provided the size we were/still are wanting. And Hayes had a much better year statistically (though that certainly isn't the end all be all). But I have not seen this kid play. Maybe his skill set is through the roof and just a better prospect than Hayes.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The only thing I could see is us offering someone playing time before the end of this season. That might not be something everyone could offer. Honestly I don't know if the Avs are willing to be that aggressive.

I'm not going to pretend to know how the NCAA works but I think they do have to offer the moon and stars to get players committed. Supposedly DU has that superstar kid from Norway committed for 2018. I can't believe that's going to stick but I hope it does. I know Magyar gave up a scholarship to Ohio State to go to the OHL. Whatever team that lands Auston Matthews will probably have to offer him something astronomical.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
If we couldn't offer Hayes playing time I doubt we do for this guy. We only added more depth since last year. Hayes provided the size we were/still are wanting. And Hayes had a much better year statistically (though that certainly isn't the end all be all). But I have not seen this kid play. Maybe his skill set is through the roof and just a better prospect than Hayes.

I don't see what this has to do with anything? Hayes chose the Rangers and clearly made the better choice if he was looking to sign with a contender right away but this'll again be a question of personal preference in the end as we were reportedly in on Hayes up until the end.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The only thing I could see is us offering someone playing time before the end of this season. That might not be something everyone could offer. Honestly I don't know if the Avs are willing to be that aggressive.

I'm not going to pretend to know how the NCAA works but I think they do have to offer the moon and stars to get players committed. Supposedly DU has that superstar kid from Norway committed for 2018. I can't believe that's going to stick but I hope it does. I know Magyar gave up a scholarship to Ohio State to go to the OHL. Whatever team that lands Auston Matthews will probably have to offer him something astronomical.
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/03/10/jackets-reilly-03-10.html
When Minnesota’s season ends — that could be in less than two weeks if the Golden Gophers don’t qualify for the NCAA tournament — Reilly is expected to notify Minnesota, the NHL and the Blue Jackets that he’s forgoing his senior season to turn pro.
Then it will get very interesting. The Blue Jackets will have 30 days after Reilly informs Minnesota he’s leaving school, or until June 1 — whichever date is later — to sign him to a two-year, entry-level contract.
By the time he's able to sign, the season will be over.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I meant college UFAs, not Reilly in particular.
Then true, playing him this year and killing a year off the ELC is a huge bonus. I remember when Jesse Winchester signed with Ottawa at the end of the year. He only played 1 game to end the year, but it killed a year off his contract and that's a huge selling point.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Hopefully hockey players are more loyal and understanding of the word "commitment" than football players. I follow a lot of football recruiting and early verbals typically don't stick there, especially ones who are 3 years away. Hopefully the kid sticks (and loves Denver and can't wait to get back here as an Av, however long that takes). If he is getting offered that early he is probably going to be very good.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I don't see what this has to do with anything? Hayes chose the Rangers and clearly made the better choice if he was looking to sign with a contender right away but this'll again be a question of personal preference in the end as we were reportedly in on Hayes up until the end.

Because we were apparently not handing Hayes playing time, while the Rangers were. Someone said we could easily offer Reilly playing time. I just don't see us doing that at all unless Reilly is a better player/prospect. On paper Hayes is better, but I have never seen Reilly play, so im not just going to assume Hayes is better. If Reilly is better then maybe we have enough faith in him to offer him playing time like the one poster was saying we could do.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Because we were apparently not handing Hayes playing time, while the Rangers were. Someone said we could easily offer Reilly playing time. I just don't see us doing that at all unless Reilly is a better player/prospect. On paper Hayes is better, but I have never seen Reilly play, so im not just going to assume Hayes is better. If Reilly is better then maybe we have enough faith in him to offer him playing time like the one poster was saying we could do.

Is he even ready for that playing time? How is he not another Justin Schultz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad