Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I wouldn't write off any goaltender with that size and athleticism. With the right enviroment, the right coach etc..

He couldn't succeed behind a defense with MDZ, Josi, Weber, and Jones.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Lots on twitter now.

Pagnotta and Dreger says Sens are exploring the idea of trading Spezza. Moulson is missing from Sabres morning skate. Detroit is interested in Ehrhoff and Islanders offers on MacDonald suggests he is a 3rd pairing defenseman on a top 10 team.

So the offers are a late 2nd or a 3rd + 4th/5th...

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I wouldn't write off any goaltender with that size and athleticism. With the right enviroment, the right coach etc..

He's not really athletic though. He is just big. He always struggled with shots from the blue line because he can't react or make saves. If he's not in position, he's screwed.

He's not a Rinne or Bishop. Those guys can make saves.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He couldn't succeed behind a defense with MDZ, Josi, Weber, and Jones.

MDZ is bad is his own end, Jones is a rookie... they are actually pretty poor this season defensively.

He's not really athletic though. He is just big. He always struggled with shots from the blue line because he can't react or make saves. If he's not in position, he's screwed.

Positioning is what Allaire excels at teaching. As a backup, Dubnyk would be a solid option. Trotz (?) said he was a mess from the coaching he was getting in Edmonton. With proper coaching I can see him as a solid backup.

Saw this on twitter:

Bh0gsOXCcAAyP7F.jpg

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
Someone asked Dater which players Calgary was scouting at the Avs and Monsters game. Thats the 1st I've heard of someone scouting the Monsters.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Is it funny how one season changes expectations of players?

I made a Stostny for Gardiner thread in the summer and I got ripped to shreads by Leaf fans for it, now they would easily make that trade.

Then I remember that even Sens fans were effin crazy about Cowen; wanted massive overpayment in all threads, now they would easily take Parenteau or Stostny for him straight up or in a package.

I would take Cowen much more than Myers, Tyler has better potential and probably will be the better player no doubt. But Cowen could be grown into the new Hejda.

As fans, we care way too much about the "what have you done for me lately" angle.

Its natural to be done on players when they dont meet expectations, or to be really high on guys when theyre having great years.

But Ive said this numerous times, and ill say it again. The time to trade for players is when theyre down. We need to be buying low on players.

Our problem, like all other fans, is we dont want the guys struggling, we only want the guys playing well, or showing promise. You cant go after guys after theyve rebounded, or when theyre having good years. We have to continue to buy low and sell high like we've done in the past.

Taking chances on those buy low players is your best chance of getting the best team for the future.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
As fans, we care way too much about the "what have you done for me lately" angle.

Its natural to be done on players when they dont meet expectations, or to be really high on guys when theyre having great years.

But Ive said this numerous times, and ill say it again. The time to trade for players is when theyre down. We need to be buying low on players.

Our problem, like all other fans, is we dont want the guys struggling, we only want the guys playing well, or showing promise. You cant go after guys after theyve rebounded, or when theyre having good years. We have to continue to buy low and sell high like we've done in the past.

Taking chances on those buy low players is your best chance of getting the best team for the future.

Management has a much different view of players than fans do. Rarely do players that are playing well have as much value as fans thing, and players playing poorly have more value than people think. On top of that, prospects that are unproven and not high picks, have very little value.

On top of that, reclamation projects only work a small amount of the time.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I really think all this Stastny talk is just Dater returning favors to Roy for giving him info in the past. They probably saw it work in New York with Girardi, and want to put a little pressure on Staz to soften a bit in his demands and sign for $5.9M or something.

Unless they get blown out of the water with a trade offer, I don't see them trading Staz. He's such a popular player, and they're about to make the playoffs for the first time in a while, and maybe even be a bit dangerous. Even if they lose him for free, it just makes too much sense to keep him. They instantly become a worse team, and I don't see a return that will replace him for the run this year.

You can't compare trade returns in past years like Douglas Murray or Gaustad. It's so situational, the returns can be totally different. The interest might not even be there.

To get a top notch return, it will have to be a team in the playoff hunt that's looking for a 2nd line center next season, and has the cap space to afford $6M or so next year, and the prorated $6.6M this year. That dwindles the list of teams. Otherwise he's more of a clear cut rental. Lesser players are easier to see being re-signed because they're cheaper and easier to fit into the lineup.

Staz can net a good return but it's not as easy as some think. Given the price tag he'll command to re-sign, many teams would rather just wait to get him as a UFA, than give up a bunch of assets and then hope they can re-sign him at that high price.

Given all of that, I would be very surprised to see him traded this year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think Stastny will be re-signed by the deadline. Whether that means he will be traded or not I have no idea but based on the little interview Dater just posted it seems like there are very limited talks for negotiating a contract.

The interview asks how he feels about recent trade rumors and he says he cant help what happens but he's jsut trying to play hockey. It seems that he realizes he may be traded where if he knew he was close to a new contract he would be more confident that he wont be moved.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
You should read Travis Yost on HockeyBuzz...he rips Cowen regularly, but he has the evidence to back it up. Even when Cowen was holding out and eventually got paid decently he thought it was a bad gamble.

I agree Ceci and Wiercioch are decent and could develop, but I wouldn't bet on Cowen. Dude just strikes me as having ZERO hockey sense. I mean, seriously, just look at him.

cowen.jpg

I doubt there's much in the way of common sense, much less hockey sense, going on in there.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look it up.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I think the Stastny stuff is just Dater trying to get some hits the next few days.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Dater put up a video of Stastny responding to his name in trade rumours. He seemed kind of surprised and irritated by the question. Maybe this is my imagination since I really want him to stay, but that’s how I interpreted his mood. Which makes me think, can you imagine being traded off this team right before playoffs? I think Stastny is still an Avs player on Thursday. With or without a contract.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Dater put up a video of Stastny responding to his name in trade rumours. He seemed kind of surprised and irritated by the question. Maybe this is my imagination since I really want him to stay, but that’s how I interpreted his mood. Which makes me think, can you imagine being traded off this team right before playoffs? I think Stastny is still an Avs player on Thursday. With or without a contract.

The feeling I got was that he felt it was possible. If Stastny was close on a new contract I think he would have felt pretty confident in saying he's not too worried about being moved. He had more of a "that's the business side" mentality and that it's always a possibility and all he can control is his play on the ice.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Would have been nice if Dater had asked a question, you know something about negotiations. They could ask anyone outside of Duchene if they are stressed about the trade deadline. Why are the media so handcuffed or unable to ask any actual questions? Just stand there and film him giving the standard answer provides nothing.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Would have been nice if Dater had asked a question, you know something about negotiations. They could ask anyone outside of Duchene if they are stressed about the trade deadline. Why are the media so handcuffed or unable to ask any actual questions? Just stand there and film him giving the standard answer provides nothing.

I don't think Avs allow him to do that.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
#Avs Paul Stastny says again he wants to stay in Colorado & can't worry about trade rumors/speculation #ColoradoAvalanche #NHLTradeDeadline
From Rick Sadowski's twitter. Nothing new.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
From Rick Sadowski's twitter. Nothing new.
If this is actually true(Stastny wants to stay here regardless of future role, etc) and they are negotiating, I find it a bit worrying they've not agreed to anything yet.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If this is actually true(Stastny wants to stay here regardless of future role, etc) and they are negotiating, I find it a bit worrying they've not agreed to anything yet.

What Stastny wants, and what his agent wants, are two different things.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

These things tend to take time, and what is being offered and what the player/agent want are frequently two different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad