Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sorry, but there's no way I would pay Stastny up to 7M to stay here. Not with Duchene, MacKinnon, and O'Reilly around. At some point you have to realize you can use those resources at other positions of need. It's nothing against Stastny as a player, it's just that's the one position the Avs are loaded at.

Agreed.

Someone will say "it's only 400K more than he's making right now" but I still don't think they should do it though. He's a very good and important player on this team but I wouldn't pay him over 6M, forget about giving him a raise and paying him even more.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Except with Stastny it's a bit different. ROR wanted to get paid last year and quite honestly, he deserved it. The Avs were trying to offer him 3.5m and he wanted 5 million for 5 years. In hindsight, his demands were more than reasonable. ROR is now a part of the core and will remain with the Avs long term based off of what Dater and Roy have said. He's only 23.

If Stastny is all about the money, then let's face it, he's gone. His situation with the Avs is different than ROR's. Unless he's willing to take a discount for length and staying here he won't be a member of the Avs come September. So yes, I'm a bit worried they've not reached a contract yet. Roy does strike me as the type who'd make a lowball offer.

In what way has Stastny proven that he is all about the money? Nobody but management, Stastny, Keator, and maybe a few confidants know what the demands are. Maybe they are asking $6m per and the Avs are balking... that is just as likely as they are asking for $7.5m per and the Avs are balking.

There is no reason to worry... let the situation play out. This management group has given no reason to doubt their abilities. They will make the right decision.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Sure, but overpaying for Staz would be 7.5+ per. What he's making already would be a sweet deal and up to ~7 would be fair.

This team should not shoot themselves in the foot when we finally have so much going for us over .5m a year when we have the cap space for it and Staz plays such a pivotal role for us.

Get a deal or a frame work done and unless Staz says he's leaving in the summer to get his 7.5+ per, hold onto him. He's worth so much more than what we'd get for him.

Seven million? No. Any raise would be out of the question in my opinion. Would he get that in free agency? Yes. But with Duchene/MacK the Avs are not in a position to give a center like Stastny that kind of money.

As unfortunate as it is to think of losing Stastny, where will this team be in 3/4/5 years? It's easy to forget how young these guys are. In five years Duchene and ROR will be 28. MacKinnon will only be the age Duchene is now. Landeskog will only be 26. As Av-merican said, the Avs have to think about the long term picture. Stastny would be great to keep around but with MacK and Duchene I don't think he'd be a core piece in a few years.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
5.5 million for 4 years is what I would love to get Stostny at.

But I'm surprised how open Avs have become, but how secretive the negotiations or where they're at has been (Roy personally telling someone insider information is only thing we have gotten). I wonder if this is due to how quiet Sherman is? :sarcasm:

Only Duchene's contract was the one that was well known before actual announcement.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Their styles of play aren't remotely similar. Zach is much much better defensively but likely not as good offensively.

I understand that... I said same level, and that Redmond isn't an upgrade. Both are 5-7 defensemen.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Avs can't give Stastny 7M per year and he knows it. If he truly wants to be here, he's gonna have to take way less than he would get on July 1st. Offer him and ROR the same deal Duchene was given.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I have no problem giving Stastny maximum term, as long as the cap hit is decent and he doesn't hold a full NTC.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
In just a few short years, he will be the third-best center (and possibly fourth-best if you count O'Reilly) on this team. Even if he were to be signed to the exact same deal he has now it'd technically be an overpayment. I could tolerate that, but a raise? No.

Then you trade him... If he is being underutilized, he will be expendable and more valuable at that point. There is nothing set in stone with a NTC, or the number of teams on the list. It also gives the advantage on picking where the Avs send him (IE away from St Louis).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
In just a few short years, he will be the third-best center (and possibly fourth-best if you count O'Reilly) on this team. Even if he were to be signed to the exact same deal he has now it'd technically be an overpayment. I could tolerate that, but a raise? No.

Again, don't blame him one bit. He's worked his tail off, he deserves to benefit just like any other player. But the Avs have some tough decisions to make, and even if his loss results in a disruption in chemistry for this season, the Avs have to look at the bigger picture.

In a few short years paying your 3rd-5th best forward up to 7 per won't be that big an issue. Certainly not even close to an issue big enough to sacrifice our chance to put together a truly special team so quickly.

Our d is a problem, but it's one that requires one player to solve it, not a half dozen, and as when we brought in Hejda, that player doesn't need to have a huge salary or profile. So we can afford to continue pursuing the three beastly lines strategem that can make us a uniquely dominant force.

This league is a ***** to win in, and I don't think copying everyone else and hoping to be the team that's hot is the right course of action when you've been given this much to work with. The Blackhawks have been so successful because they did not follow conventions and pursued a great team uniquely suited to the strengths of our core, we should do the same because we could became an even greater team than they have been, especially with Landy and Duchene on such sweetheart deals.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
So if the Avs are looking to keep things relatively low key at the deadline, what would people think about these trades.

Avs:
Phillips

Sens:
Elliott
Wilson
3rd Round Pick 2015 (Conditional to a 2nd Round Pick 2015 if Phillips re-signs)

and a second deal

Avs:
Smyth

Oilers:
Malone

Smyth is around for his experience and as a 3rd/4th line player who can spot shift on the PP. Sakic was the reason he came to Colorado the first time around, and Sakic would be the reason he ends up here once again. Not expecting anything from him other than a locker room presence, but he has the potential to produce one or two big moments in a playoff run. Phillips has more in the tank than Smyth at this point, but is also not a huge add from a cost perspective. Both players give boosts in experience and leadership and at the worst provide a good first building block for a team adding playoff experience to its resume.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's also a good thing for both sides to be presumably working and not talking. It's when they stop and posture to the media is when things get ugly. We know it wouldn't be an easy contract to sign, it's ok that it takes some time. That part doesn't worry me. It doesn't mean things are going south, just a lot of details to go over.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
In a few short years paying your 3rd-5th best forward up to 7 per won't be that big an issue. Certainly not even close to an issue big enough to sacrifice our chance to put together a truly special team so quickly.

Our d is a problem, but it's one that requires one player to solve it, not a half dozen, and as when we brought in Hejda, that player doesn't need to have a huge salary or profile. So we can afford to continue pursuing the three beastly lines strategem that can make us a uniquely dominant force.

This league is a ***** to win in, and I don't think copying everyone else and hoping to be the team that's hot is the right course of action when you've been given this much to work with. The Blackhawks have been so successful because they did not follow conventions and pursued a great team uniquely suited to the strengths of our core, we should do the same because we could became an even greater team than they have been, especially with Landy and Duchene on such sweetheart deals.
Our defense is one player away? I'd have to disagree with that completely. Hejda is 36 years old. To keep asking him to play top pairing minutes is asking a lot. It's more than one player away.

Also, people need to stop assuming the Avs are going to be a cap limit team. They'll have to increase payroll no doubt, but I have my doubts they'll want to pay their 4th or 5th best forward 6-7M.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
I still don't think a deal is signed prior to the deadline and I don't think Stastny is traded. His UFA status means there's no way we get a good return for him. That is, we're better off risking losing him for nothing but retaining the chance to extend his contract than trading for the paltry return we'd get.

And frankly, this team is capable of withstanding losing a guy like Stastny if it gets to that. It makes things more difficult, but we'd make do. Right now, we could be in a no win situation. We either trade him for pennies on the dollar. Or we lose him in free agency. Or we re-sign him with a large cap hit and an NTC. None of these are great options, but if we have to choose among one of them, I'm not even sure which one is the best.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I still don't think a deal is signed prior to the deadline and I don't think Stastny is traded. His UFA status means there's no way we get a good return for him. That is, we're better off risking losing him for nothing but retaining the chance to extend his contract than trading for the paltry return we'd get.

And frankly, this team is capable of withstanding losing a guy like Stastny if it gets to that. It makes things more difficult, but we'd make do. Right now, we could be in a no win situation. We either trade him for pennies on the dollar. Or we lose him in free agency. Or we re-sign him with a large cap hit and an NTC. None of these are great options, but if we have to choose among one of them, I'm not even sure which one is the best.

Exactly, keep Stastny as our own "rental" and try to keep him until the draft. If that is not possible, flip his rights for a low pick or prospect to someone who wants an inside edge.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I still think the most likely course the Avs will take is to re-sign Staz, and re-sign O'Reilly and keep him and Nate on the wing.

Then they'll deal PAP at the draft for D man, and slot Tanguay in his place with Dutchy, and go with a top heavy approach and more traditional 3rd line, like they've been doing the majority of the last couple months.

If this is what happens, I'd love to see them ditch Mitchell in the offseason, bring in Goc and Kulemin, and bump Talbot down to the 4th line, making Bordy a scratch in a healthy lineup.

O'Reilly - Duchene - Tangs
Landy - Staz - MacK
McGinn - Goc - Kulemin
McLeod - Cliche - Talbot

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It's also a good thing for both sides to be presumably working and not talking. It's when they stop and posture to the media is when things get ugly. We know it wouldn't be an easy contract to sign, it's ok that it takes some time. That part doesn't worry me. It doesn't mean things are going south, just a lot of details to go over.

See Callahan... if that was the situation here, I would be worried.

Our defense is one player away? I'd have to disagree with that completely. Hejda is 36 years old. To keep asking him to play top pairing minutes is asking a lot. It's more than one player away.

Also, people need to stop assuming the Avs are going to be a cap limit team. They'll have to increase payroll no doubt, but I have my doubts they'll want to pay their 4th or 5th best forward 6-7M.

The piece the Avs really need is a younger #2 that can play next to EJ. Then Hejda can move down a pairing for now and next season, then he can be replaced down the line with a hockey trade, a prospect turning out, or a UFA signing.

So for the rest of this year and next year, only 1 piece is really needed... couple years down the road I think they will need another piece.

If Stastny is the 5th best forward on the team in 2 years, he can be traded with years left on his deal as a very good 1B/2A center.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
So if the Avs are looking to keep things relatively low key at the deadline, what would people think about these trades.

Avs:
Phillips

Sens:
Elliott
Wilson
3rd Round Pick 2015 (Conditional to a 2nd Round Pick 2015 if Phillips re-signs)

and a second deal

Avs:
Smyth

Oilers:
Malone

Smyth is around for his experience and as a 3rd/4th line player who can spot shift on the PP. Sakic was the reason he came to Colorado the first time around, and Sakic would be the reason he ends up here once again. Not expecting anything from him other than a locker room presence, but he has the potential to produce one or two big moments in a playoff run. Phillips has more in the tank than Smyth at this point, but is also not a huge add from a cost perspective. Both players give boosts in experience and leadership and at the worst provide a good first building block for a team adding playoff experience to its resume.

No thanks. Both of those are bandaids for a broken leg. That is, not going to do much good now, and certainly not in the future.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I still think the most likely course the Avs will take is to re-sign Staz, and re-sign O'Reilly and keep him and Nate on the wing.

Then they'll deal PAP at the draft for D man, and slot Tanguay in his place with Dutchy, and go with a top heavy approach and more traditional 3rd line, like they've been doing the majority of the last couple months.

If this is what happens, I'd love to see them ditch Mitchell in the offseason, bring in Goc and Kulemin, and bump Talbot down to the 4th line, making Bordy a scratch in a healthy lineup.

O'Reilly - Duchene - Tangs
Landy - Staz - MacK
McGinn - Goc - Kulemin
McLeod - Cliche - Talbot

I've been on the Goc/Kulemin bandwagon as well but that's if Stastny leaves. MacKinnon plays center and you have a good defensive center like Goc on the third line. Your lineup obviously looks great but that's way too much money tied up at forward.

Smyth and Phillips are not impact NHLers anymore. No way in hell. We don't need to do at the deadline what Pittsburgh did at the deadline last year.

I'd give up a late round pick for Smyth. Easily. If he's willing to accept a 4th line role, which it sounds like he might be, you don't think he'll be more valuable than McLeod/Bordeleau? I certainly do.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hopefully it's down to either re-signing or trading Stastny and we'll find out soon. Having him walk for nothing would be bad. Avs being stronger for this years playoff isn't worth is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad