Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You have to have two to tango with a trade. No guarantee that anything good could be had. Then when it comes to UFAs they have to be worth the money... only 7 players under 35 who averaged over 20 minutes a game this season are going to be UFA. One of those is Benoit, who isn't the answer. Another is Quincey, also not the answer. Gilbert a RD and not the answer. That leaves Orpik, MacDonald, Hainsey, and Niskanen... IMO only MacDonald and Niskanen would be worth an investment, and that is putting a lot of risk on being the team they want to sign with.

Defeinitely need two to tango with a trade, but I'm not sure what you're getting at with the rest here.

Are you saying in order to bring in the right type of defenseman, they have to be a UFA, and also have to have played a certain amount of minutes on their previous team in a different situation? I would argue against both, but I'm not quite clear on what you're saying.

CrimsonPuma*

Am I the only one who thinks that St. Louis is now worse with Miller in goal?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Defeinitely need two to tango with a trade, but I'm not sure what you're getting at with the rest here.

Are you saying in order to bring in the right type of defenseman, they have to be a UFA, and also have to have played a certain amount of minutes on their previous team in a different situation? I would argue against both, but I'm not quite clear on what you're saying.

What I am saying is that it is very risky to just say, well they can sign a top 4D in the offseason for 4-7m... those players have to reach UFA and be willing to sign with the Avs. Two very big hurdles.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What I am saying is that it is very risky to just say, well they can sign a top 4D in the offseason for 4-7m... those players have to reach UFA and be willing to sign with the Avs. Two very big hurdles.

That's true, but I wasn't really pigeon holing them to a name, or that they had to do that. Just that they could. They're not worse off than any other team that would want to add a name, and if anything are better positioned than most top teams will be.

It was brought up that they might tie up too much money at forward if they brought in Goc and Kulemin for the 3rd line. I was saying they'd be fine cap wise next year AND moving forward because of how they've locked up their core to reasonable deals in Dutchy, Landy, and Varly and it will only become better as the cap goes up.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Why would you think that? Ryan Miller is a monumental upgrade over Halak and Elliott.

Cap issues?

IDK they are setup really well salary wise. Assuming they re-sign Miller and Ott for a combined $11m (seems safe). They still only have 56m in salary with 16 players signed. Sobotka and Schwartz will take up probably $6m, Berglund $4m, leaving ~5m to re-sign Roy or a similar player.

CrimsonPuma*

Why would you think that? Ryan Miller is a monumental upgrade over Halak and Elliott.

I just don't think Miller is that great of a goalie...

Not a game changing goalie, in my opinion.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Every time you post here I want to change my handle, but then I don't see you around here for a month or so and I think it doesn't matter and get lazy. Then you post again and I have the same urge. I think it's literally been that way for the better part of the last 10 years haha. Crazy to think we've been posting here about the Avs that long.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver

Huh what? :help: The numbers he's had in Buffalo this season is nothing short of a miracle. They have been terrible, yet he's been really good. Also just look at the 2010 Olympics concerning his game-breaking ability.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Every time you post here I want to change my handle, but then I don't see you around here for a month or so and I think it doesn't matter and get lazy. Then you post again and I have the same urge. I think it's literally been that way for the better part of the last 10 years haha. Crazy to think we've been posting here about the Avs that long.

Haha, sorry! If it makes you feel any better, since you post more anyways, most people just call you Foppa :)

I don't think you should change your handle, I think everybody knows you by this one.

CrimsonPuma*

Huh what? :help: The numbers he's had in Buffalo this season is nothing short of a miracle. They have been terrible, yet he's been really good. Also just look at the 2010 Olympics concerning his game-breaking ability.

2010, sure I would take Miller. Not so sure I would in 2014.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I do like the idea Mars brought up of Lars Eller if we end up dealing Stastny (or another forward)...not necessarily in a Stastny deal but perhaps even a separate transaction.

Eller is still only 24 and I don't think the Habs are getting the offense out of him that he is capable of producing. Beyond his actual poor number this season - he's got good size and skills, plays multiple positions, plays PK and PP, is good on face-offs and can throw the body a bit.

He only makes like $1.4 million this year and will be an RFA I believe but his poor offensive stats should make him easy to resign for cheap. Really like him as a "buy low" option (potentially) with nice upside and the tools to fit in the Avs line-up if we create a hole via another deal.

Absolutely, Eller has always been one of my favorites. He could be had relatively cheap, I would imagine as I doubt Bergevin is looking forward to negotiating his next contact.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I do like the idea Mars brought up of Lars Eller if we end up dealing Stastny (or another forward)...not necessarily in a Stastny deal but perhaps even a separate transaction.

Eller is still only 24 and I don't think the Habs are getting the offense out of him that he is capable of producing. Beyond his actual poor number this season - he's got good size and skills, plays multiple positions, plays PK and PP, is good on face-offs and can throw the body a bit.

He only makes like $1.4 million this year and will be an RFA I believe but his poor offensive stats should make him easy to resign for cheap. Really like him as a "buy low" option (potentially) with nice upside and the tools to fit in the Avs line-up if we create a hole via another deal.
Exactly why I put him in there. If they trade Stastny, I'd prefer a 3rd line center in the deal along with a young defenseman (if we have to add a bit, so be it) Eller would be a good fit and I could see Bergevin selling him low value.

And after reading Stastny's quotes, I don't think he's signing a contract anytime soon and that should concern the Avs.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Haha, sorry! If it makes you feel any better, since you post more anyways, most people just call you Foppa :)

I don't think you should change your handle, I think everybody knows you by this one.

Haha, no worries you had the foppa part first. I think at the time I joined I just didn't notice anyone had it maybe because you didn't post that much, but then started to notice it every once in a while.

I think I missed my window to change it though, should have done it early on. Like you said, I've had it too long at this point.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Dennis Bernstein ‏@DennisTFP 8m
Kings still in on NYI Andrew MacDonald - price is pick (not a 1st) and decent prospect but plenty of competition for the blueliner

So a 2nd + B prospect... I'd do that deal.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Would something like Gorges and Eller really be that bad of a return for Stastny? Ideally you would like a younger defenseman but I do like Gorges, I think a lot more than other people do.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Would something like Gorges and Eller really be that bad of a return for Stastny?

Depends on what you define as bad, but I would say that is pretty bad. Gorges is a 3-4 with no upside and Eller is a struggling player with 2nd line talent. In a trade involving Stastny you need a defensemen with upside, a solid roster player, and a good pick.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

In his prime, he most certainly was. Now at 33, he might not be quite in the "elite" category, but he's put up decent numbers considering he's got the worst team in the NHL playing in front of him.

The question is not whether Miller is great--he is--it's whether he's that big of an improvement upon Halak. Even Armstrong admitted it wasn't a massive upgrade, but I suppose there's something to be said about taking a goalie who never met your expectations and replacing him with a goalie with a much more impressive track record.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Dennis Bernstein ‏@DennisTFP 8m
Kings still in on NYI Andrew MacDonald - price is pick (not a 1st) and decent prospect but plenty of competition for the blueliner

So a 2nd + B prospect... I'd do that deal.

That's a decent price but something about MacDonald just makes me not even want to give up that for him. Just seems to fall into the Brett Clark range of not enough offense to warrant not being great defensively.

Would just rather let the Avs make their usual good pick in the 2nd or add to the pick and prospect like Elliott for someone else.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Depends on what you define as bad, but I would say that is pretty bad. Gorges is a 3-4 with no upside and Eller is a struggling player with 2nd line talent. In a trade involving Stastny you need a defensemen with upside, a solid roster player, and a good pick.

True and I think we could get a pretty good return for him since he might be the BPA (besides Kesler) but I don't know which teams can/will offer that. Defenseman with upside, are we talking Gardiner/Tinordi? Along those lines? I don't know how much those guys will help us right now but they could be good in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad