Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
It's going to end up being like Oduya or something. Seriously though, Stastny needs to be re-signed. They're not going to get a defenceman who is going to make up for the lack of Stastny up front.

I'm glad it sounds like they're negotiating with him. I'd love to come on here and see he has re-signed. I'm pretty surprised there are rumours that they will trade him if they can't get him locked up. Personally, I'd bet that he isn't traded or re-signed before the deadline.

Teams that I could see wanting Stastny though: NYR, Washington, Anaheim, Toronto, Chicago, and St. Louis.

Don't want to see him go to Chicago or St. Louis. I don't think the Rangers have any good young defencemen. Toronto's would be based around Gardiner I'd imagine, but lots of posters here think that's a bad idea. Which leaves Washington and Anaheim. I know Anaheim has some good young defence prospects. Not sure what's up in Washington.

Next 2 days will definitely be a lot more interesting.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
People are gonna get so disappointed with the defenseman coming back for Stastny if we do trade him.

Agreed.

I know I am in the minority with this and I know it's a asset management risk but I just don't think a guy like Jake Gardiner improves this team that much, even long term, enough to justify submarining extended contract talks with a core piece of your team unless you absolutely positively know he doesn't want to re-up here or has indicated he will not talk until free agency and will simply take the biggest offer.

At the end of the day I feel like Sakic will work this out.

Huis Clos*

Douglas Murray returned two second round picks last year as a rental. If Stastny is traded I imagine the return will be quite respectable.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I was thinking, Sami Vatanen is in a bit of a bad situation in Anaheim where they can't make room for him and Ducks have been looking for a 2 C for ages. A package with Vatanen coming back for Stastny might be logical?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
I was thinking, Sami Vatanen is in a bit of a bad situation in Anaheim where they can't make room for him and Ducks have been looking for a 2 C for ages. A package with Vatanen coming back for Stastny might be logical?

Small and RH, not a great fit here. But the value would be right.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Unless Stastny's demands are unrealistic, it makes too much sense to re-sign him.

Give him 6-7 years with a full NTC for the first three-four years. After that some sort of limited NTC where Stastny can pick 10 teams he can veto a trade to. Salary shouldn't be a problem.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Is Vatanen 1 dimensional? I admit I haven't seen many Ducks games this year but based on his point production/size I would assume he is a 1 dimensional guy. Not that any of our guys are great but we certainly have enough of those in Barrie, Holden, Benoit, Elliott and Butcher.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Maybe that's true. Could we get them to gives us Hampus Lindholm instead? Haha, that would be something...

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
He hasn't shared anything that's more than common sense. And, as has been noted, he's been wrong before.

He's actually shared that he knows the two sides have been in contact, but he can't get either one of them to talk what the other side is wanting...and that's not necessarily his fault.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Is Vatanen 1 dimensional? I admit I haven't seen many Ducks games this year but based on his point production/size I would assume he is a 1 dimensional guy. Not that any of our guys are great but we certainly have enough of those in Barrie, Holden, Benoit, Elliott and Butcher.

He's very small. He's like Anaheim's version of Barrie, but maybe little faster and better shot, although Barrie might have better hockey IQ offensively. Vatanen should be good powerplay quarterback in the future.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Unless Stastny's demands are unrealistic, it makes too much sense to re-sign him.

Give him 6-7 years with a full NTC for the first three-four years. After that some sort of limited NTC where Stastny can pick 10 teams he can veto a trade to. Salary shouldn't be a problem.

Completely agree.

If Stastny is traded, he would bring back mostly futures. The deal would be a youngish (23-26) fringe top 4D (like a Gardiner), 1st round pick, and a B prospect. I know some are keen on building up prospect depth, but I would hate losing such a valuable player from the team for such a crappy return.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I worry a little that Staz will return to Casper status if he gets another long-term deal. He's playing great this year, but it is a contract year for him...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I worry a little that Staz will return to Casper status if he gets another long-term deal. He's playing great this year, but it is a contract year for him...

I blame that more on Sacco than Stastny. It was obvious that Stastny was not happy with the system and the linemates he was given.

I'm more worried that trading him away sends him to St Louis in the summer. I doubt he signs where he is traded to.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

He played well from his debut to the day Avs traded Stewart (Stastny played at a 65 point pace up to the trade) and forced Stastny to play dump and chase with David Jones. That down period lasted until Stastny started playing with Landeskog.

Stastny is a high IQ playmaker. Put him with players that can think the game and he'll shine. I don't think he's ever been complacent. I think he genuinely tried to play the way Sacco wanted him to play with Jones, Galiardi and a regressing Hejduk and the results were predictable. Of course he probably felt what Duchene said, that the team knew they weren't playing winning style hockey so it was demoralizing.

I'm not worried about money making Stastny lazy.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm more worried that trading him away sends him to St Louis in the summer. I doubt he signs where he is traded to.
If we let him walk for nothing, there's still a chance he goes to St. Louis, so I don't see the difference.

I know Stastny has had a great year, but I don't want to give him 6M+ again and I bet that's what he's asking for. With Duchene at 6M, ROR looking like he may get around that, and MacKinnon likely breaking the bank in two years, I just don't see how we can lock up that much money into 5 forwards and not have much on defense. If we re-sign Stastny, he'll likely get a full no trade clause, which hurts in any trade down the line, so I don't buy that its real easy to just move his contract when the time comes.

Regarding Vaatanen, he was awesome at the Olympics and I bet a lot of teams covet him, but I don't see the fit in Colorado.

I think if the Avs are trying to work a deal with Montreal, they're trying to get Eller in the deal. He seems to have fallen out of favor with Therien and would be a good fit as the 3rd line center here.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
I'd be mostly worried about injuries long term with Stastny.

I honestly can't really think of a trade that works for us. I've pretty much convinced myself that they will work out an extension with him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If we let him walk for nothing, there's still a chance he goes to St. Louis, so I don't see the difference.

I know Stastny has had a great year, but I don't want to give him 6M+ again and I bet that's what he's asking for. With Duchene at 6M, ROR looking like he may get around that, and MacKinnon likely breaking the bank in two years, I just don't see how we can lock up that much money into 5 forwards and not have much on defense. If we re-sign Stastny, he'll likely get a full no trade clause, which hurts in any trade down the line, so I don't buy that its real easy to just move his contract when the time comes.

Regarding Vaatanen, he was awesome at the Olympics and I bet a lot of teams covet him, but I don't see the fit in Colorado.

I'm basically saying find a way to sign him. It is the best option out of the 3 (sign, trade, let walk).

Barrie is better than Vaatanen IMO, so I agree... there is not fit here.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Ok enough of the Vatanen talk. Let's get real and talk about bring back Ossi Vaananen :nod:

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
The one trade I keep coming to in my head would be Stastny to Columbus for Erixon and a pick. I'm not overly thrilled by Erixon, but I think he would be appropriate value and available, and we know Columbus has scouted the Avs quite a bit this year.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Teams that I could see wanting Stastny though: NYR, Washington, Anaheim, Toronto, Chicago, and St. Louis.

Strålman/Moore + pick(s) sounds pretty realistic to me. I dunno.

E: Although for a while there I thought Strålman was a lefty...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The one trade I keep coming to in my head would be Stastny to Columbus for Erixon and a pick. I'm not overly thrilled by Erixon, but I think he would be appropriate value and available, and we know Columbus has scouted the Avs quite a bit this year.

Erixon is going to be a very solid defensemen... a 2/3 (ceiling is a 2, likely a 3) type that can play both sides of the ice. If we had to get rid of Stastny, Erixon would be one of the top prospect defensemen on my list. Anisimov + Erixon + 2nd/3rd round pick would be a very good return, but I still would hate trading Stastny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad