Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I know it's an unpopular opinion but I say we trade Stastny, There's no room for him in our top 6 with Mackinnon getting better and better, insert Tanguay as the set up man next season and we have Mcginn who can step in when injuries arise and if we could get another 3rd line upgrade over Mitchell in UFA i'd be ecstatic.

A guy like Gardiner would be a fantastic piece to add to the cause for the next 5 or so years fits in right with the core, I'd rather this than overpaying for a Macdonald in UFA.

On the other side of the fence if we do retain and sign Stastny I won't be upset either, I just believe long term we could be better if we moved him for assets.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I know it's an unpopular opinion but I say we trade Stastny, There's no room for him in our top 6 with Mackinnon getting better and better, insert Tanguay as the set up man next season and we have Mcginn who can step in when injuries arise and if we could get another 3rd line upgrade over Mitchell in UFA i'd be ecstatic.

A guy like Gardiner would be a fantastic piece to add to the cause for the next 5 or so years fits in right with the core, I'd rather this than overpaying for a Macdonald in UFA.

On the other side of the fence if we do retain and sign Stastny I won't be upset either, I just believe long term we could be better if we moved him for assets.

I agree with the principle but would rather sign Stastny to a long term contract. We would've lost a good number more games this season without him. 20 goals and his defensive play isn't something Mack can fill in for. Our positioning without him would be closer to Minny in the standings I'd guess. With him I think it allows us to have a bit of uncertainty on the back end due to his defensive play.

With that considered we're right up there at the top of the division and it's not crazy to say at this point they could win it. I know it's not likely but keeping Stastny helps that.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Not sure what we'll do, if anything, at the deadline but I hope Stastny is either re-signed or traded before Wednesday.

Chemistry is important but you can't be afraid to make a move just because the team is playing well and the guys seem to like each other a lot. I also don't agree with the notion that trading him looks bad and sends the wrong message, no one is saying to give him away for some futures that won't help the team this season. If he wants too much and they can't agree to a deal, trading him for defense seems like a very easy decision to me.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I agree with the principle but would rather sign Stastny to a long term contract. We would've lost a good number more games this season without him. 20 goals and his defensive play isn't something Mack can fill in for. Our positioning without him would be closer to Minny in the standings I'd guess. With him I think it allows us to have a bit of uncertainty on the back end due to his defensive play.

With that considered we're right up there at the top of the division and it's not crazy to say at this point they could win it. I know it's not likely but keeping Stastny helps that.

I agree short term it would hurt, but if we could add a top 4 D and then use the free cap, let Mitchell walk for an upgrade and go after a defensively responsible center for the 3rd line and Mack continues to improve his all around game, When we are ready to contend, 2-3 years we'll have the right pieces for the cup.

If we re-sign him and get that UFA D in free agency it's going to leave us in a possible tight bind cap-wise and we might still not even be good enough to push for a Cup then , If we do say get a Macdonald , pay him 5.5 and our D core still isn't strong enough, then we'll be pushing 1st's for rentals at later trade deadline's and gambling more of the future.

I'm also thinking Mackinnon is going to be getting 8m+ in the future the way he's playing.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
For a team that has zero forward depth in the minors, adding the leading scorer of the AHL last year for a 3rd and 5th would have been nice.
Pirri asked for a trade because he's stuck in the AHL. He'd be stuck down in the AHL here too and wouldn't be happy about it.

I'm also in the "Trade Stastny" group if there's no deal there. We can get a good young defenseman for him plus a little something else. He's been fantastic this year, but letting him walk for nothing is unacceptable.

Last edited:

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Dater:

- But what about the Paul Stastny situation? I’ll hope to know more Monday or Tuesday, but it’s a serious situation – at least as I knew of a few hours ago. If the Avs don’t think they can re-sign him beyond this season, I’d say the chances are way above 50-50 he’ll be traded. What I don’t know at the moment: how close is Stastny and his agent, Matt Keator, to a new contract with the team? The trade deadline is Wednesday, so the clock is definitely ticking.

The Avs know they can not let Stastny go for nothing this summer as a UFA. If they can’t agree on the numbers, they have to get something for him, as weird as that probably would be to the team’s current chemistry. It’s a business folks.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
There's also this gem....

Nick Holden is turning into just the kind of defenseman the Avs said they needed. And he’s cutting down on the Avs’ wish list for such a player.

777.gif

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty
If Avs can't resign Paul Stastny by wed trade deadline, he goes to head of class of rentals. At worst, he's No. 2 centre on contender.

He's right up there with Vanek and Callahan, maybe above them because he's a center. I think we could get a very good return for him even though he's a rental.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Remember when Dater was so sure Stastny was going to get moved at the draft? I'm not sure if Dater has the correct context of the situation and is pushing the panic button a little premature just like he did with his O'Reilly article that he got his hand slapped over earlier in the year. I can believe he's heard that negotiations are going on but I think he's doing his making the leap with assumptions past that.

They are not going to get a legit top 4 D for a rental in Stastny so any move does make the team worse this season. What, are they really going to send him to a contender so they have to play him in the playoffs? Yeah I know the eastern conference is a more attractive option, but still. Roy isnt going to give up on the season, especially heading into this monster week on the schedule. I'm still a bit skeptical. I guess talks could go poorly but we don't even know that.

You guys that think Stastny will bring a huge return, what are we talking?

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't see it as giving up on the season at all. If all they're getting is a prospect and a first round pick, they likely won't be trading Stastny. As McKenzie said last week, it would have to be a very good return to get Sakic/Roy to pull the trigger. Which could be possible since Stastny might be the second best player available after Kesler.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Dater knows absolutely nothing. When was the last time he actually broke a story about the Avs?

The Avs haven't given him ANY info on ANYTHING. The Stastny story is common sense, nothing else.

With that said, if it seems that they cannot come to terms with Staz on an extension, I would ask for a top 4 D AT LEAST and maybe add a 3rd line forward and see whats out there. If someone in the division calls...raise the price. IMO. Maybe that is a lot, but Staz is really an excellent player and one that could push a lot of teams over the hump to contention.

Edit - I could also see us asking top 4 d and a forward prospect since our cupboards are pretty much bare in terms of forward talent to bring up.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
If they trade him for Gardiner and Kulemin where does Gardiner fit in? It seems really odd to trade Stastny for a player like Gardiner and an UFA in Kulemin.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Don't want Gardiner. Especially not as the centerpiece for Stastny.
He just is not a very good player.
And he is a pylon defensively. He is never going to be able to handle top pairing minutes with EJ.
And him and Barrie on the second pairing would be an abomination.
Might as well just raise the white flag and trade one automatic goal for every three shifts of that pairing.

I like that our management finally has come to their senses with Stastny.
But it looks like too little too late.
Huge fail if they don't know by now if they can retain him or not.
Time is running out on them :(

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I agree. Losing Stastny would suck(for nothing), but If we can send him to different division for nice defenseman or something, I wouldn't be that sad. I would be more sad losing him in summer to St.Louis for free. That would be terrible.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Gardiner isn't very good. He's turning 24 years old and is still rather clueless defensively and not all that good offensively. He looks good because he's a great skater.

Closer to Cumiskey than a Boyle.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm with the poster who said Gardiner isn't good enough to put with EJ and a Barrie-Gardiner pairing would be terrible.
Obviously Gardiner would be an upgrade over Holden on the 3rd pairing but for that role the upgrade from Holden to Gardiner is not worth Stastny.

Also, @tiger you're right in saying we wont get a legit top 4 defenseman for a rental in Stastny. Contenders need their defenseman. What we would get though is a fringe 4-5 guy who is a young and has potential to become a top pairing guy but they are just to young an unexperienced to really count to their team in the playoffs at this time. Somebody who is sheltered in their organization but would become a medium caliber guy here already due to our lack of depth.

Personally I hope to see Stastny signed today or tomorrow. He seems like the type of player that really is the glue in this team. It's hard to believe a guy who smiled and enjoyed winning that game so much just last night could be part of another team in a few days. I just don't see him or the organization allowing that to happen.

Last edited:

Averick*

Dater knows absolutely nothing. When was the last time he actually broke a story about the Avs?

The Avs haven't given him ANY info on ANYTHING. The Stastny story is common sense, nothing else.

With that said, if it seems that they cannot come to terms with Staz on an extension, I would ask for a top 4 D AT LEAST and maybe add a 3rd line forward and see whats out there. If someone in the division calls...raise the price. IMO. Maybe that is a lot, but Staz is really an excellent player and one that could push a lot of teams over the hump to contention.

Edit - I could also see us asking top 4 d and a forward prospect since our cupboards are pretty much bare in terms of forward talent to bring up.

Yeah, it's common sense. Dater really isn't saying anything that isn't safe to speculate. However, the timing of it is curious. Why is Dater banging this drum so hard now? Is it that he has nothing but he wants to seem relevant so he's making a lot of noise? It seems very possible.

Still though, the thing I keep going back to is that the front office has been aware of all this the entire time. If they were going to trade him, they could have done so well before this and it would have allowed more time to build chemistry. Or, put another way, they wouldn't have been gambling with the chemistry so late. This is another reason that I think Dater might be making a lot of noise. I also think the Avs might be willing to hang on to him and roll the dice in the summer.

Averick*

Btw, if you want to see which fans are the most outrageous, check out the Vancouver-Colorado trade proposal thread where the op discusses Stastny and Edler being moved.

Some of the comments are hysterical. Stastny+McGinn = Edler....yeah right. More like, Stastny + McGinn = enjoy mediocrity, Nucks fans.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think Dater has heard something. Not much, but definitely a little. He isn't the type of guy who always needs a few rumors to hold on to. He has been known to go months at a time without ever talking about any trade talks. If he brings it up there usually a little smoke involved.

Averick*

I think Dater has heard something. Not much, but definitely a little. He isn't the type of guy who always needs a few rumors to hold on to. He has been known to go months at a time without ever talking about any trade talks. If he brings it up there usually a little smoke involved.

He hasn't shared anything that's more than common sense. And, as has been noted, he's been wrong before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad