OT: IMFC Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
We should get Benedetto who played for America against us in the CCL if we were to spend transfer fee + salary for a striker. Hes doing wayy too good now, but maybe in 36-48 months it could be an option when hes 28-29

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
We should get Benedetto who played for America against us in the CCL if we were to spend transfer fee + salary for a striker. Hes doing wayy too good now, but maybe in 36-48 months it could be an option when hes 28-29

He was playing pretty good and was being considered for Russia by Sampaoli, till he got injured last November. He tore his right knee ACL... Lets see how he recuperates.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Let's wait before jumping on the Vargas bandwagon, we have to utilize him in a strategic way. The season is very long and he probably never played a season that long before, I would give him a few minutes for the first 3-4 few games, probably make him start the opening game so he gets acclimated to the North American style. If we give him 90 minutes every game, he would be burned out by May and he'll end up Ontivero 2.0, last thing we want. If we're smart, he could turn out as our Almiron.

MLS Transfer window opens today, meaning we are on the phone with New England for Nguyen as I'm speaking. But then again, maybe 20 teams are interested in Nguyen.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
As a mtl sports fan, I'm blasé af so not jumping on any bandwagons just yet. Simply curious to see if we actually have something in Vargas as opposed to another Ontivero or Arregui

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
Let's wait before jumping on the Vargas bandwagon, we have to utilize him in a strategic way. The season is very long and he probably never played a season that long before, I would give him a few minutes for the first 3-4 few games, probably make him start the opening game so he gets acclimated to the North American style. If we give him 90 minutes every game, he would be burned out by May and he'll end up Ontivero 2.0, last thing we want. If we're smart, he could turn out as our Almiron.

MLS Transfer window opens today, meaning we are on the phone with New England for Nguyen as I'm speaking. But then again, maybe 20 teams are interested in Nguyen.

One thing I'm sick of hearing about Vargas is the Ontivero comparison. He's not f***ing Ontivero, has nothing similar to Ontivero other than being south american. One of Ontivero's biggest flaw was that he had no stamina and no strenght. Like many chilean players Vargas has excellent stamina and is solid on the ball.

He's simply a much better player already than Ontivero ever was.

Ontivero was playing with one of the big 3 in Chile last season, Universidad de Chile and he sucked, he wasnt on par with the league. Vargas was a star in the Chilean league, at 19 yo.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
I'm worried about what's going on in his head, but not at all about his skill or capacity to play in this league. But at the same time, I'm kinda used to chileans being "cuatico" as they say in Chile.. lets just translate that as "difficult".

Last edited:

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
One thing I'm sick of hearing about Vargas is the Ontivero comparison. He's not ****ing Ontivero, has nothing similar to Ontivero other than being south american. One of Ontivero's biggest flaw was that he had no stamina and no strenght. Like many chilean players Vargas has excellent stamina and is solid on the ball.

He's simply a much better player already than Ontivero ever was.

Ontivero was playing with one of the big 3 in Chile last season, Universidad de Chile and he sucked, he wasnt on par with the league. Vargas was a star in the Chilean league, at 19 yo.

They are both tiny, are wingers, fast with technical abilities, young with lots of potential (ontivero at the time), prone to lose temper, south americans playing in a very physical league.... pretty hard to not compare if you ask me.

Yeah but I'm sure Ontivero at 19-20 was touted as high prospect for Galatsaray much like Vargas right now, things just went south for him. Galatasaray don't just buy young players for fun especially not when they were a CL team back in 2014. They bought Bruma the same year or so at around the same age Ontivero was and he's playing with Portugal now.

Vargas can go down the Ontivero route too if he and we aren't careful. It's not all about skills but also mental strenght.
So for me there's a comparison that can be made.

Last edited:

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
They are both tiny, are wingers, fast with technical abilities, young with lots of potential (ontivero at the time), prone to lose temper, south americans playing in a very physical league.... pretty hard to not compare if you ask me.

Yeah but I'm sure Ontivero at 19-20 was touted as high prospect for Galatsaray much like Vargas right now, things just went south for him. Galatasaray don't just buy young players for fun especially not when they were a CL team back in 2014. They bought Bruma the same year or so at around the same age Ontivero was and he's playing with Portugal now.

Vargas can go down the Ontivero route too if he and we aren't careful. It's not all about skills but also mental strenght.
So for me there's a comparison that can be made.

You were talking about physical capacity though.

So basically all short wingers from south america are potential Ontivero's in your eyes. I get it.

And no, not all leagues in SA are the same. the Chilean league is more athletic, more similar to the MLS than Primera A, imo.

Has Ontivero ever had a breakout year? No. He's never scored more than 2-3 goals in a professional 1st Div. Vargas had 10 goals and 8 assist, iirc, in his first full pro season.

How many is the most games Ontivero has played in a season? It was with us (20 some appeareances). Vargas has already played a 30+ game season were he was starter most the time in a better team than ours.

Like I said, Vargas is already better than what Ontivero has ever been, in a proven way.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
I had the wildest dream last night.

We were in the finals at LAG, leading 3-0 at the half. We were about 30 ultras who made the trip and were having the time of our lives. Then the alarm rang :(

Reactions: TRG

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not that I can remember. But there was a taller striker for IMFC who scored that 3rd goal

Was it this guy? :sarcasm:

68e902f44c486f52e0de16412a073beb--peter-crouch-tottenham-hotspur.jpg

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
From Patrick Leduc's article on RDS website, Garde seems to confirm that Oduro is on his way out. Here is the excerpt on Oduro in his article:

Rémi Garde a également commenté la situation de l’ailier Dominic Oduro, lequel ferait présentement l’objet de rumeurs de transactions, selon ce que rapportait hier le collègue Jeremy Filosa du 98,5 FM.

« Dominic travaille très bien. J’ai eu plusieurs discussions avec lui. Il est vrai qu’il n’est pas forcément dans les plans à long terme [du club]. Ça va, il n’est pas une distraction [pour le groupe]. Mais je lu ai dit que la meilleure solution pour lui, c’est peut-être de trouver autre chose. » Bref, les jours d’Oduro à Montréal sont bel et bien comptés sans toutefois qu’on ait plus de détails sur les solutions concrètes qui sont envisagées.

Reactions: ShaMu and ArtPeur

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I had the wildest dream last night.

We were in the finals at LAG, leading 3-0 at the half. We were about 30 ultras who made the trip and were having the time of our lives. Then the alarm rang :(

the question is, were we the 30 ultras (the 30 ultra-HFers)? :sarcasm:

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
the question is, were we the 30 ultras (the 30 ultra-HFers)? :sarcasm:

I don’t think I ever met a HFer, most probably but we didn’t talk about these boards. Anyway I’m always at the front row, extreme right, just before the 131

Also, loving Garde’s “franc parler”. He basically told Oduro that he’s gone, but him sticking around for now won’t be much of a distraction

Last edited:

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
I wonder if Lucas Cavallini would come to MLS, more specifically, here. His loan to Puebla ends this summer, and I'm not sure he's in Peñarol's or Puebla's plans. He's been doing well in Mexico.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I wonder if Lucas Cavallini would come to MLS, more specifically, here. His loan to Puebla ends this summer, and I'm not sure he's in Peñarol's or Puebla's plans. He's been doing well in Mexico.

Yes. Bring more Canadians. We could be CNMT lol

Also, he wouldn't be DP

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
He would be good depth at CF, is young and no need for an intl spot.

Speaking of young cmnters, I just read Leduc's article on RDS. Petrasso was saying that he was anxious to play against Giovinco to "tackle hard". That's my man! Love the guy already!

Another interesting thing is that he said his strongest position was rb, even though he's only been playing there recently.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
So I still follow Dzemaili’s ex-wife on insta and she’s been putting stories of her gym sessions with her trainer.

Most sexual thing I’ve seen in a while lol

Reactions: JunglePete

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
You were talking about physical capacity though.

So basically all short wingers from south america are potential Ontivero's in your eyes. I get it.

And no, not all leagues in SA are the same. the Chilean league is more athletic, more similar to the MLS than Primera A, imo.

Has Ontivero ever had a breakout year? No. He's never scored more than 2-3 goals in a professional 1st Div. Vargas had 10 goals and 8 assist, iirc, in his first full pro season.

How many is the most games Ontivero has played in a season? It was with us (20 some appeareances). Vargas has already played a 30+ game season were he was starter most the time in a better team than ours.

Like I said, Vargas is already better than what Ontivero has ever been, in a proven way.

Idk what you're trying to say. That they are not the same person? Yes I know that lol. All I said was Vargas is comparable to Ontivero due to previous reasons listed. I didn't say Ontivero was better than Vargas, chill. Ontivero showed lots of promise at Vargas' age.Don't forget he was brought in as young DP. We just know he sucks now because we've seen him. Showed a glimpse of skills then vanished, lost his temper on the field on various occasions. I'm not debating on who was better at 19, it's pointless. They both had their flaws; Ontivero went through various academies in top clubs in Europe, Vargas flopped in his last 2 stints. Potential lack of mental strenght I was talking about that I don't wanna see Vargas having.

I don’t think I ever met a HFer, most probably but we didn’t talk about these boards. Anyway I’m always at the front row, extreme right, just before the 131

Also, loving Garde’s “franc parler”. He basically told Oduro that he’s gone, but him sticking around for now won’t be much of a distraction

Exactly what I was saying 2 days ago, Oduro unlike Mancosu or Ciman doesn't cost this team games nor international spot. The only drawback is 300k we could've spent on someone else but we never have issues with salary cap. It'd be a real challenge to trade him to a team willing to take Oduro for 300k. Plus I don't think we can release him as Lefevre was released and you can only release one player per off season.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
Idk what you're trying to say. That they are not the same person? Yes I know that lol. All I said was Vargas is comparable to Ontivero due to previous reasons listed. I didn't say Ontivero was better than Vargas, chill. Ontivero showed lots of promise at Vargas' age.Don't forget he was brought in as young DP. We just know he sucks now because we've seen him. Showed a glimpse of skills then vanished, lost his temper on the field on various occasions. I'm not debating on who was better at 19, it's pointless. They both had their flaws; Ontivero went through various academies in top clubs in Europe, Vargas flopped in his last 2 stints. Potential lack of mental strenght I was talking about that I don't wanna see Vargas having.

Ok if you still dont understand what I'm saying, I'll try to be as clear as possible.

First you spoke of adjusting to MLS, reminding us of Ontivero. To that I answered that Ontivero's flaw, maybe you forgot, was his fitness. We knew this before he got here and he confirmed it to us. The guy can absolutely not play 90 minutes, never has. Vargas is capable of playing 90 minutes in a more athletic than skillfull league, like the chilean league. He never had a reputation of having fitness problems. I also pointed out that Vargas and Ontiver are incoparable as to their strenght. Vargas is much more brawny and strong on the ball than Ontivero.

Then you spoke of their potential and how they were both hyped at a young age. To that I answered that Ontivero never went beyond the hype. Ontivero never performed well against men at a pro level. Vargas showed he can perform against men at a pro level in his first full pro year.

Now you're focusing on the mental side, but the two points above already show their differences on the mental side. Another thing is that Vargas has had issues OFF the pitch. I never heard of Ontivero having issues off the pitch, but I remember him getting frustrated on the pitch though. So I dont even see why your trying to compare both mentally.

So what I'm getting to is that they have diffferent qualities, different issues and the only similarity they have is that they're both short skillfull SA wingers, and thats a very superficial comparison.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad