Im gonna ask the question: Is Nashville elite now?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It’s a young man’s league. Imo Preds are an older group who will miss the playoffs.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
As a lontgime Preds fan, I remain optomistic. They have some question marks in Novak (can he step it up?) and lower D pairs. I like Statsney a LOT. He looks very smooth. But injuries and bad puck luck could make them tread water at best. Proof is in the playing. Like most of our fanbase I feel it is time for them to be relevant.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
As a lontgime Preds fan, I remain optomistic. They have some question marks in Novak (can he step it up?) and lower D pairs. I like Statsney a LOT. He looks very smooth. But injuries and bad puck luck could make them tread water at best. Proof is in the playing. Like most of our fanbase I feel it is time for them to be relevant.
I agree with this, especially Stastney. Novak was on a 52 point pace last season, which was just his 2nd full season. Evangelista though, IMHO will show the most growth this season up front

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
FA signings seem to take a year or so to work out. They’ll be in a battle to make the playoffs, and if they do, they could win a round.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I'll say they'll be a possible wildcard team at best that might steal a round. Their biggest issue is that they're weak down the middle (relative to the real elite teams). O'Reilly is solid in both ends and a clutch playoff performer, but he's 33 this year and he plays a hard game. At this point in his career he's best suited for a 2nd line role. Does Nyquist play the middle or is he wing? Either way he doesn't have a proven track record as being anything more than an average 2nd liner, notwithstanding last season. Then who?

They are well-positioned on the wings no doubt, and perhaps Stamkos can fill in there for spurts if needed, but their defence looks pedestrian. After Josi and Skjei, who? Their PP looks to make a stark improvement, though.

They'll be a bubble 7-8 team and probably get put down quick unless Saros stands on his head (and against Edmonton/Vancouver/Colorado/Dallas that probably won't be enough). Who are they displacing in their division? Colorado? Dallas? Winnipeg? Seattle will be better, and they won't surpass the odd man out of Edmonton/Vancouver/LA/Vegas (well, maybe LA). To me they'll be one of those tweener teams who won't be good enough to compete for the cup but won't be bad enough to add high end pieces at the draft. They're in purgatory. If things don't go their way this season, they'll be stuck with this core for at least 2 more seasons following.

I'm not as optimistic about this bunch as others.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Doesn't really look like an "elite" lineup. Maybe closer to elite if we just look at the name brands within it.
Stamkos had 40g/81p last season. Marchessault had a career season (42g), Josi had his second best offensive season (85p) and ROR went from looking totally washed as an impact player in this league to once again looking like one of the top two-way forwards in the game.

I feel like you're kind of doing the opposite of only looking at the names and looking too much at age over last seasons production.

No doubt they have at best two seasons to get something done with those four aforementioned guys but for next season at least I think they are every bit as good on the ice as their names on paper suggest.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Well elite for me is a class of its own. The 2018-19 Lightning, the 2022-23 Bruins, the 2005-06 Red Wings, etc.

Favorites to win the Presidents Trophy type of teams. Can't put the Preds there but I do think they'll be in the top 7-8 contenders in the league. It's a 32 team league, if you're in the top 1/4 I don't think that makes you elite.
Yeah

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
They'll be a playoff team for sure imo.

I think a lot depends on how much/if Stamkos and Marchessault's numbers go down away from Eichel/Kucherov. It'll impact Stamkos more for sure, but if Nyquist and the rest of the top line can play like they did this year they'll be a threat.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Imagine Brady Skjei and Roman Josi as your match up… I’d cry. So much sexy body and hart, that alone would overwhelm most forwards.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they win the presidents trophy and are a favourite for a cup… skjei is a favourite for the conn smythe ofc.

• Haha
Reactions: BonMorrison

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
They have three 40 goal scorers, a top 5 starter and a top 3 dman in the NHL, so yes.

Not many other teams have all that. How many teams have three 40 goal scorers? Forsberg almost scored 50 this year.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
We'll have to see how it comes together - but they have the potential to be. President's trophy is a possibility. Of course - a bubble/wildcard team is also possible

Evergreen

I think they will squeak into the playoffs but I don’t expect much more than that.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I'm still not used to seeing Stamkos' name on a jersey that doesn't have a lightning bolt on it, but as one of my favourite players, I will watch the Preds games with great interest.

I don't think I would classify this lineup as elite, primarily due to the age of some of the players. Maybe 5-7 years ago I would say so. BUT veteran players, when mated in a line up with other good players may develop good chemistry that will contribute to success. It remains to be seen how these guys will mesh together.

On paper though, purely because of their collective ages, I would put the Preds as a good team, but not great. Playoff bound, pretty certain of that.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
They're a very good team with the goaltending to make serious noise in the playoffs.

They're also an old team - they're likely to have at least 5 of their top 6 forwards be 30+, as well as half their D-core (including their top 2 D).

There's a wide range of potential outcomes, from contender/near contender to missing the playoffs.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Nashville is a huge threat to win a single game at home and lose in the first round 4 games to 1.

Might even go on an unsustainable POD bender and steal one on the road too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $707.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $325.00