Im gonna ask the question: Is Nashville elite now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Following up on my last post and pointed out by others, the centre depth simply is not good enough and it's the same issue that plagued the 2017 team after still-pretty-good-Johansen went down. Winning a cup with ROR and Novak as your top 2 C's isn't gonna cut it.

Reactions: HockeyScotty

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Tommy Novak at 2C, watch out now

In a vacuum, I agree that he’s a weak and at best unproven player to be counted on in that kind of role. But if Nashville keeps their existing first line together…I can see the synergy they are going for by having a second line with Novak flanked by Stamkos and Marchy. Novak is a very adept playmaker and I see his vision and IQ meshing really well with a couple of elite, veteran wingers who know how to get to prime scoring spots. Novak’s /60 production without good wingers has been quite good - there’s reasons to be bullish about what he can do in this setup. Now that line construction would be a heavily o-zone line as it lacks size and defensive ability…but between ROR and Sissons’ lines, you can probably be ok with having your second line be more specifically offensive leaning.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
I agree with a lot of what BKArchitect says in his post above. The 2C role however is a big question mark. If it is Novak, can he handle that for a full season? He was really streaky last year and he's not a "prospect"; he's in his prime. If they go with Stamkos at 2C and elevate Evangelista to 2nd line wing I think it could be more potent 2nd line.

As a team "elite" is relative. I do think they leap frog Winnipeg into the top 3 of the Central; but this team isn't necessarily built for the regular season; they are built for the playoffs.

Could they matchup against Colorado or Dallas in round 1? They are pretty close. Avs are in so much flux right now with Landeskog and Nichushkin that it is hard to predict. I know everyone craps on O'Reilly; but I'm still a huge fan and he is so dang effective at shutting down opponent's elite 1C's; now if they have a dangerous 2nd line it could be the tipping point to break thru.

Against the Pacific, if that is where they fall in a wildcard matchup; they look like a great matchup against anyone besides Canucks and Oilers. But similiar to the Avs; the Preds could be a really tough trial for the Oilers.

So I see them as 5th best team in the Western Conference; not exactly "elite" but knocking on the door.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Just feel like because it's not a "flashy" group like COL or EDM that they're being undersold significantly in this thread. Not sure what elite is, but I'd definitely put them in the top tier with COL/DAL in the Central.

Just funny to me that they're "not COL" is seen as a negative. If you combined the teams and ranked the players, COL would obviously have the top 3 players, but I'd bet 8 of the next 10 would be NASH players.

That depends on what happens with Landeskog and Nichushkin.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I really dig what Nashville did. They have always been a thorn to play against in the playoffs due to their grinding, super physical style. They added a bunch of skill with their big 3 signings. My concern with them is their defensive depth. I'd put them as an 85% chance to make the playoffs and I could absolutely see them winning the cup, though I wouldn't describe them as elite. I have them around #10 overall in the league standings for the regular season, and who knows for the playoffs.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
They look better but definately not Elite.... they will make the playoffs forsure but will be knocked out round 1 or MAYBE round 2

now having said that, i heavily applaud the changes they made for next season.. fans should be pumped to see the GM going for it

Reactions: x Tame Impala

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
where do you think they'd rank against Forsberg, Josi, Saros, O'Reilly, Stamkos, Marchessault, Nyquist and Skjei?

Both were nearly ppg, two way wingers last we saw them. If that were to continue, the only guys Nashville has that would be clearly better currently are Forsberg and Josi. Maybe Saros too, but he had a down year last year.

I don’t have any idea what’s actually going to happen with those guys. Assuming they won’t play AND their roster spots/cap space go unused is not a good bet.

Reactions: triggrman

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
That depends on what happens with Landeskog and Nichushkin.
I think that it's pretty apparent what happens with Landeskog, or in the unlikely event he returns, what level of player he'll be because it's very likely that he'd take a significant step back. Nikhushkin is much more complicated with how much you can count on him. And IMO, even if you include Nuke without any sort of reservation - who else beyond Toews is in the conversation?

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Both were nearly ppg, two way wingers last we saw them. If that were to continue, the only guys Nashville has that would be clearly better currently are Forsberg and Josi. Maybe Saros too, but he had a down year last year.

I don’t have any idea what’s actually going to happen with those guys. Assuming they won’t play AND their roster spots/cap space go unused is not a good bet.
Who do you think they would be able to use the cap space on by the time it's determined that one, or neither, player returns?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Nope. I just the additions probably just guaranteed they are a playoff team rather than a bubble team. I think they have the ability to challenge Colorado/Winnipeg.

It also helps that very few teams in the west improved. Edmonton is probably the only playoff team in the west that improved.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Very good, not elite. Expect them to make the 2nd round and possibly the 3rd, I don't think they're contenders though.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Skjei for McDonagh seems like a bit of a downgrade, and beyond Josi their D group overall looks fairly suspect.

I bet Stamkos will score his fair share of PP apples during the RS though, but that on its own doesn't make you elite.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think that it's pretty apparent what happens with Landeskog, or in the unlikely event he returns, what level of player he'll be because it's very likely that he'd take a significant step back. Nikhushkin is much more complicated with how much you can count on him. And IMO, even if you include Nuke without any sort of reservation - who else beyond Toews is in the conversation?

Who would be in the conversation from the Nashville side? Mittelstadt, Drouin, and Lehkonen were all at ~60 point pace or better last year. There are only about 3 guys on the Preds that are locks to clear 60 points. You can throw ROR in with that group too since his 2 way play gives him the tie breaker. You give Marchessault the benefit of the doubt due to his Conn Smythe. After that, it thins out a lot.

Who do you think they would be able to use the cap space on by the time it's determined that one, or neither, player returns?

Worst case, it’d give the Avs a lot of flexibility at the TDL to add rentals. I’ll just be shocked if the Avs have a $75m roster for game 1 of the playoffs.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think they beat Vancouver in the first round with this roster instead of losing like last year. Beyond that I can't imagine how anyone thinks they're a serious contender. You'd have to expect Stamkos and Marchessault to light the league on fire, Josi to be a Norris contender at 34 years old, Saros to be a brick wall, and ROR to be a two-way monster.

They'll be a good team that loses to the great team in the playoffs.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think you know what elite is. Contender is a good word too.

Well elite for me is a class of its own. The 2018-19 Lightning, the 2022-23 Bruins, the 2005-06 Red Wings, etc.

Favorites to win the Presidents Trophy type of teams. Can't put the Preds there but I do think they'll be in the top 7-8 contenders in the league. It's a 32 team league, if you're in the top 1/4 I don't think that makes you elite.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
They added 95G and 197P to a roster that made the playoffs in the toughest division in hockey.
They subtracted 35 year old Ryan McDonagh, a washed up Tyson Barrie, and whatever Yakov Trenin does.

That's a major upgrade and this thread is underrating them. I dunno what elite really means here and you always need to see how the mix works out but I'd definitely put them into the contender category.

They also arguably overachieved massively last season. They went on that crazy run after the U2 concert thing and barely made the playoffs. This is with several guys having top of their career seasons.

I don't think they moved the needle very much and wouldn't be shocked to see them back in a wildcard spot again

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think Dallas and Edmonton are a significant step ahead, probably Colorado and Vegas too

They improved and almost certainly will be a playoff team, but feel like we'll see some regression to the mean for players like Nyquist who had insane years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad