Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Single-handedly kept us in game 1 with the 2nd most saves in NHL history & stole game 2.

No one else on the team has returned the favor.

Has looked like garbage since. Was kind of hoping the probable vezina winner with have more stamina and mental toughness than a couple of playoff games. Cup takes 16 wins. Not 2 good games.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I can't imagine the Pittsburgh crowd affecting him. I think that's silly. I think he's just not a big game performer. I feel like I remember him getting pulled at the WJC against Canada too and his playoff numbers in the KHL were worse than regular season numbers. The guy is mentally weak, though I don't think mentally weak enough to let some chants affect him.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
You guys are a joke. His first ever playoff game is a triple OT 80 save performance, 3 days later he’s “just not a playoff performer”.

I know we all thought it was nothing and he was acting, but I think it’s certainly MORE LIKELY that Igor tweaked something or is masking a head injury after the Carter collision than it is that he’s this weak mentally after all we’ve seen from him so far. Far more likely. Players have been more injured from hits that looked like less. Yes, to me it looked like a flop and embellishment at the time as well, but it certainly lines up coincidentally with him being off ever since.

The team in front hasn’t given him ANY help but he still stops half of these normally. Something is off, and I’m more inclined to believe he tweaked something but didn’t want to get pulled from the lineup than I am to believe that opposing chants shattered his confidence.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
This whole thing with the team and Igor, is just odd.

Im sorry.

It doesnt really make any f***ing sense at all and I dont want to waste my time analyzing it. Its painful

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
He was injured.
Was he? Many think Igor is too.
You’ve got to admit Igor was playing well the first 2 games when he had a .952 SV%, no? He bailed us out so much those first two games, his first playoff game he put up the franchise record for saves in a game and the 2nd most in NHL history! no one is returning the favor. The whole team is playing like shit and I just don’t think Igor is near the top of the list. Mika has been a ghost the entire series.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
… I’ll put a $10 bill down on it coming out that Shesterkin is too.
Even if he's not, he is probably facing down borderline severe exhaustion. He was basically the only person who played periods 2,3,4,5 & 6 in game 1 and somehow looked awesome in game 2. I actually expected this type of performance in game 2, but am completely unsurprised it occurred anyway.

The fools on this board will easily be outed in this conversation. Maybe the rest of the team should show up once in a while.

Reactions: LokiDog

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
… I’ll put a $10 bill down on it coming out that Shesterkin is too.

That's always the excuse. He didn't exactly look like a big game goalie at the end of the season, other than a few games against shit teams.

Was he? Many think Igor is too.
You’ve got to admit Igor was playing well the first 2 games when he had a .952 SV%, no? He bailed us out so much those first two games, his first playoff game he put up the franchise record for saves in a game and the 2nd most in NHL history! no one is returning the favor. The whole team is playing like shit and I just don’t think Igor is near the top of the list. Mika has been a ghost the entire series.

The entire team is playing like shit, but when your goalie plays like shit you end up with 10 goals in 3 periods. Literally the equivalent of a 10 goal game against. That is an abomination. If he's so injured that he gave up 10 goals in 3 periods then play Georgiev, as hard as it is for me to type this he can't do much worse than 10 goals in 3 periods, it's almost impossible to do worse.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Even if he's not, he is probably facing down borderline severe exhaustion. He was basically the only person who played periods 2,3,4,5 & 6 in game 1 and somehow looked awesome in game 2. I actually expected this type of performance in game 2, but am completely unsurprised it occurred anyway.

The fools on this board will easily be outed in this conversation. Maybe the rest of the team should show up once in a while.

10 goals in 3 periods. There is no excuse for it. It's ECHL level garbage.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We need to remember that young players sometimes need to learn hard lessons in the playoffs. Shesterkin has not even looked as bad as Lundqvist in that series. Lundqvist looked terrible. Shesterkin has looked average behind a terrible team.

Lundqvist didn't have one high in that series, but his lows weren't as low as Shesterkin's. His play has been a disgrace, no two ways to put it. Either he's hurt and then shouldn't be playing, or he's a bum. You don't overcome mental weakness. I doubt he's someone you can win a cup with. Shutting out Winnipeg, he's your man however.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I dont know if its injury or exhaustion but its easy to see 3 things.

1. Igor is not moving as fast as normal.
2. Igor is not blocking his 5 hole with his stick.
3. Igor has dropped multiple pucks out of his glove that he would normally catch.

The Rangers stopped skating in period 2 in game 1 and in period 2 and 3 tonight. I did have more faith in Georgie the last 2 games because Georgie was moving and anticipating better.

Reactions: leetch99

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
Today was not an Igor failure, today was a complete system failure. Sure, Igor fluffed his lines but the Pens got into too many high % positions because the guys in front of him were puck-watching and fluffing their lines too...

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Lundqvist didn't have one high in that series, but his lows weren't as low as Shesterkin's. His play has been a disgrace, no two ways to put it. Either he's hurt and then shouldn't be playing, or he's a bum. You don't overcome mental weakness. I doubt he's someone you can win a cup with. Shutting out Winnipeg, he's your man however.

The exact same questions were raised with Lundqvist following that series. Why was he playing if he was injured? Is he mentally tough enough to win? In the end, we didn’t win with Lundqvist, but not due to his effort or mental toughness. The playoffs are a different animal and lessons have to be learned. If every young hot shot goalie went into his first playoffs like Roy or Dryden, then what they did wouldn’t have a special place in hockey lore.

I am incredibly disappointed in what has happened, but I am not surprised or ready to blow it up again.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The exact same questions were raised with Lundqvist following that series. Why was he playing if he was injured? Is he mentally tough enough to win? In the end, we didn’t win with Lundqvist, but not due to his effort or mental toughness. The playoffs are a different animal and lessons have to be learned. If every young hot shot goalie went into his first playoffs like Roy or Dryden, then what they did wouldn’t have a special place in hockey lore.

I am incredibly disappointed in what has happened, but I am not surprised or ready to blow it up again.

But we knew that Lundqvist was injured, or at least found out after the series. We're just speculating with Shesterkin.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
It would be nice to get him a win Wednesday, and then just play well on the road Friday, doesn’t have to be a win.

The amount of odd man rushes tonight was comical, Pitt should have had like 8 goals after the 2nd.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad