Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm hoping this is just an early career thing. It would be devastating if his career is cut short or if he struggles with this whole career. Lundqvist missed some time in 05-06 and 14-15, but I think that was it. I really hope Shesterkin isn't a guy that misses a ton of games each year especially when doing a split just causes an injury. He's a goalie he's going to be making splits a lot.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
As Trent Dilfer used to say “Your best ability is your availability”. I don’t care how good of a player you are, if you’re missing 10 games every season, that’s not good enough. And I’m not talking about freak accidents where an opposing player runs into him and his knee gets caught and buckles which would hurt every goalie in the league. When you get hurt just by doing the splits and other expected moves a goalie would make, that’s a problem.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
"They’re telling me it’s not as bad as it looks," coach Gerard Gallant said after the game. "The trainer (Jim Ramsay) just said, ‘Don’t worry about it.’ That’s all he told me. Minor lower-body (injury)."

Igor Shesterkin injury: NY Rangers goalie leaves vs. Sharks

He's having an MRI tomorrow. Kinkaid won't be able to be the backup because he's apparently one of the dozen or so Hartford guys in the COVID protocol. Presumably that leaves Huska.
MRI for a minor injury sounds like a bit much...

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
I'm hoping this is just an early career thing. It would be devastating if his career is cut short or if he struggles with this whole career. Lundqvist missed some time in 05-06 and 14-15, but I think that was it. I really hope Shesterkin isn't a guy that misses a ton of games each year especially when doing a split just causes an injury. He's a goalie he's going to be making splits a lot.

Most of the goalies dont do splits that often nowadays because you cant easily follow up after splits. Goalies are so quick in the butterfly nowadays that the splits are mostly a desperation move.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
any word on if its a knee or groin or what? such a bizarre play, didn't even see a point he had any real strain on that leg. guy is unfortunately looking pretty fragile...if its another groin feel like it's never going away. best case scenario its stemming from something fixable - remember gaborik had a ton of these and a doctor finally identified some underlying issue that was corrected via surgery which eliminated them. if its not something like that we better budget for a much higher quality backup.

also "not as bad as it looked" isn't all that comforting, because it looked like his season was over. does not as bad mean 3-6 weeks or 3 months? on the other hand the injury against the devils a couple years ago looked similarly devastating and only cost a couple weeks.

regardless if i'm drury i'm not looking to go any period of time leaning on georgiev - and by any period i mean anything beyond tomorrow.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
If Igor is out any extended period of time, this season is over

I don't think so. I think this might be the strongest assembled team post lockout.

I think they are a playoff team without him. But, they aren't a Cup contender without him. Which is what the team was looking like.

Reactions: egelband

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
As Trent Dilfer used to say “Your best ability is your availability”. I don’t care how good of a player you are, if you’re missing 10 games every season, that’s not good enough. And I’m not talking about freak accidents where an opposing player runs into him and his knee gets caught and buckles which would hurt every goalie in the league. When you get hurt just by doing the splits and other expected moves a goalie would make, that’s a problem.
10 games a season doesn’t seem so bad to me. With a player as seemingly fragile as Igor, I’d sign up for that right now.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
With the medical access a professional sports team has, getting an MRI is as baseline precautionary as layfolk like us going to the doctors office and them asking you to step on the scale to check your weight.
That’s honestly such a disgusting disparity in healthcare and allocation of resources. Having to do prior auths and fighting with insurance companies for patients who actually need MRIs only for that to be rejected and the patient not being able to afford the insane cost is depressing, even more so to see some rich assholes get that test for a cramp (not saying that’s what happened here, but if it’s really as minor as they’re playing it off to be..,)

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
Hoping Igor does not run into the same issues Richter had, who was also a very athletic goalie.

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
When I initially saw it, I thought someone stepped on his glove hand with their skate. After the replay I thought, oh no, groin tear or knee ligament. One thing is for sure, Igor seems to be cursed with the "fragile" tag. I also feel if he misses significant time, the team will rally behind whomever is in net and play that much harder knowing they will need the entire time to support their netminder.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Call me crazy but the best ability is actual ability. I’d take an elite goalie available 70 games a season over an average one who’s available every night and I can’t imagine many people or teams wouldn’t

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
That’s honestly such a disgusting disparity in healthcare and allocation of resources. Having to do prior auths and fighting with insurance companies for patients who actually need MRIs only for that to be rejected and the patient not being able to afford the insane cost is depressing, even more so to see some rich assholes get that test for a cramp (not saying that’s what happened here, but if it’s really as minor as they’re playing it off to be..,)

personally i'm ok with the pro athlete who maintains their body meticulously getting thrown in the tube ahead of paul the bowling ball shaped desk jockey who threw out his back reaching for a donut.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

I can see why someone who wasn’t any good, like Trent Dilfer, would have that opinion

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Most goalie tear something at one point in theirs carrier. Its part of the inherances of doing all kind of sudden movement in order to stop a vulcanized bullet shoot at you over an hundred mph.

Reactions: FultonReed

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
any word on if its a knee or groin or what? such a bizarre play, didn't even see a point he had any real strain on that leg. guy is unfortunately looking pretty fragile...if its another groin feel like it's never going away. best case scenario its stemming from something fixable - remember gaborik had a ton of these and a doctor finally identified some underlying issue that was corrected via surgery which eliminated them. if its not something like that we better budget for a much higher quality backup.

also "not as bad as it looked" isn't all that comforting, because it looked like his season was over. does not as bad mean 3-6 weeks or 3 months? on the other hand the injury against the devils a couple years ago looked similarly devastating and only cost a couple weeks.

regardless if i'm drury i'm not looking to go any period of time leaning on georgiev - and by any period i mean anything beyond tomorrow.

The training staff told Gallant it's not as bad as it looked, not to worry, and it was a minor lower body injury, so I don't think we are looking at anything long term. Last year looked even worse and he was out 3 weeks. Even if he is out 2-3 weeks they will be fine as they have been banking the points and have built up a nice cushion.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
The training staff told Gallant it's not as bad as it looked, not to worry, and it was a minor lower body injury, so I don't think we are looking at anything long term. Last year looked even worse and he was out 3 weeks. Even if he is out 2-3 weeks they will be fine as they have been banking the points and have built up a nice cushion.
I just hope it was a puck to the knee because another groin injury would suck. I was talking to my brother last week saying that groin will be a serious issue with Shesty. Eventually he’s going to have a bad injury. I just hope it was a stinger on his knee since no one really knows

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad