Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
This reminds me of famous Dutch football coach Co Adriaanse when footballing legend Marco van Basten was announced as the national team coach, who said "A good horse doesn't make a good jockey".

Time and time again we've seen this in sports where great players can't cut it in a coaching role. I think that applies to Lundqvist as well. His current role, as Valiquette's sidekick in the studio, is perfect for him.

This is more about being a good teammate or a decent human being than being a potential coach. The best athletes usually have the biggest egos; guys like Jeter, Messier, Jordan, etc.

Hank comes across petty here... doesn't take a lot of effort to do a few simple things to help the kid make the transition into the NHL. Clearly Hank wasn't ready to pass the torch & wasn't willing to share any of his wisdom with Igor. This quote seems to back that up. From what I've been told by a few people around the team, during his last 2-3 seasons Hank was a loner in the locker room.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Does this chart imply that Shesterkin is playing great and/or the Rangers are incredibly lucky to be where they are in the standings?

upload_2021-11-20_14-6-50.png

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Does this chart imply that Shesterkin is playing great and/or the Rangers are incredibly lucky to be where they are in the standings?

View attachment 482165
kinda both. Shesterkin was really, really good the first 15 games or so. The Rangers had that horrible stretch against Calgary/Florida/Seattle where they were barely an NHL team that tanked their numbers.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Shesterkin has a solid chance to do something Lundqvist never did... ( besides win the cup(s) )

40 W's. On pace for mid 40's.

He's the rightful heir to the throne. ShesterKING.

The real test will be whether he can keep it up year after year in the NHL like Lundqvist. That was the real magic Lundqvist had...he was a constant top goalie for almost his entire career while most top goalies have a couple of high point years, and a mix of so so years

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
My only complaint so far is that he seems incapable of getting shutouts. But that's also in part because the defense is a bit inconsistent.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

View attachment 482165
Its not that simple. There have been like 3 different rangers teams over the course of these 21 games. The season started off not great for like the first 7 games, then we got our skulls kicked in on the west coast road trip, and then these past few games we have legitimately looked good. The stats reflect this pretty well breaking it down into those chunks. That west coast road trip is dragging our overall down hard right now.

Its easy to look at those overall numbers and say the rangers are pretenders and that Shesterkin is carrying us and we will implode soon. Thats just lazy analysis and not taking into account there is a new coach who was getting acquainted with his players and ignoring the obvious progression we have seen by the eye test and in the metrics. If the trend continues, I highly doubt we continue to be in the bottom of xGF%.

Gordon Bombay

Built for the HFNYR Offseason
Oct 13, 2006
He is just so calm back there. Everything looks easy by his movements. His tracking of the puck has been so good this year too. Multiple times he's made high level saves and put the rebounds in the corner because he was all over it.

Let's get this guy an empty netter now.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The real test will be whether he can keep it up year after year in the NHL like Lundqvist. That was the real magic Lundqvist had...he was a constant top goalie for almost his entire career while most top goalies have a couple of high point years, and a mix of so so years
I mean he's pretty consistent. Dominates everywhere

He's had some injury issues but lets hope they are freak things

vrOpfvC.png

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Gallant said it was not as bad as it looks but there are also reports that he’s getting an MRI.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Any news on his injury? How bad is it?
"They’re telling me it’s not as bad as it looks," coach Gerard Gallant said after the game. "The trainer (Jim Ramsay) just said, ‘Don’t worry about it.’ That’s all he told me. Minor lower-body (injury)."

Igor Shesterkin injury: NY Rangers goalie leaves vs. Sharks

He's having an MRI tomorrow. Kinkaid won't be able to be the backup because he's apparently one of the dozen or so Hartford guys in the COVID protocol. Presumably that leaves Huska.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad