If you support Rogers or Sportsnet, you support literal Oilers haters and trolls. Let’s get this Boycott going!

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I wouldn't take it personally.
Do I think Sportsnet hates the Oilers.. nope.
Do I think there's some childish hockey fans in the media that are STILL to this day butt hurt over the McDavid lottery. Oh f*** YAH. That's something I believe whole heartedly.

People are petty and jealous. Fans take it to another level.
There's some clowns in both networks that's are still jealous of the McDavid lottery win. I just take it as sweet salty tears when they do stuff like this.

The real losers are the people that can't get over those feelings.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I know I've said I'd be gone for a while in the last PGDT but I'd like to express the fact that I've hated Sportsnet and Roger's ever since they hijacked HNIC and turned it into a lame joke. The panel likes McDavid but they don't seem to give anyone else on the team all that much respect. That tweet was f***ing embarrassing and it's hilarious that they deleted it due to all the blowback.

I watched TNT's coverage of a handful of playoff games. So refreshing. It's a night and day comparison. If any of you who are reading this happen to be American, I must say that I envy you when it comes to the sports cabel services you get to watch. You're lucky.

Katz should have reached out an oil company like Castrol or Mobile 1 to the sponsor our arena's name, not the greedy swine who work for Roger's.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
I wouldn't take it personally.
Do I think Sportsnet hates the Oilers.. nope.
Do I think there's some childish hockey fans in the media that are STILL to this day butt hurt over the McDavid lottery. Oh f*** YAH. That's something I believe whole heartedly.

People are petty and jealous. Fans take it to another level.
There's some clowns in both networks that's are still jealous of the McDavid lottery win. I just take it as sweet salty tears when they do stuff like this.

The real losers are the people that can't get over those feelings.
Expecting better doesn't make people losers its just about having some iota of standards and expectations.

The whole panel coming out dressed in Cowboy hats is implicit partisan bias. It isn't even debatable. Cowboy hats have everything to do with Calgary and nothing to do with Edmonton. Conversely there was no Edmonton centric signaling once the series shifted here.

Where would you draw the line on wrong? The whole panel wearing Flames Jerseys the whole time in a national broadcast that ought to be impartial.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Like everyone, I just find it strange that the MSM cant hide the Oiler hate.

So many examples of it this post season but the one that really got to me was Kelly Hrudey on the Coleman disallowed goal. He was embarrassment to his profession when the call didn't go his teams way. That said I have re-watched that final 5 minutes with joy about a dozen times!

When a play or call goes against the Oilers it seems we always get told by the media "that's playoff hockey" but when a call goes our way there seems to be way more outrage that the call was wrong or our players are incredibly dirty or whatever fits the narrative.

As mentioned, the Coleman no-goal was 100% outrage from pundits vs the Makar "offside" which was deemed a a great call that the league got right and Oiler fans should stop whining.

Drai getting slew foot - was never really talked about vs the Kane hit on Kadri where every pundit clutched their pearls and demanded action that night.

I guess when you have 2 of the top 5 hockey players of all time wear Oiler blue you should expect a long list of haters.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Expecting better doesn't make people losers its just about having some iota of standards and expectations.

The whole panel coming out dressed in Cowboy hats is implicit partisan bias. It isn't even debatable. Cowboy hats have everything to do with Calgary and nothing to do with Edmonton. Conversely there was no Edmonton centric signaling once the series shifted here.

Where would you draw the line on wrong? The whole panel wearing Flames Jerseys the whole time in a national broadcast that ought to be impartial.
The panel wore cowboy hats the first game in Calgary and Kdays attire the first game in Edmonton. I thought that part was a nothingburger. Many other issues with the makeup of the panel, their analysis and biases, etc, but not with the hat thing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
The panel wore cowboy hats the first game in Calgary and Kdays attire the first game in Edmonton. I thought that part was a nothingburger. Many other issues with the makeup of the panel, their analysis and biases, etc, but not with the hat thing.
I missed the Kdays part which isn't even a thing in Edmonton anymore and so isn't really a trade off. but thanks for letting me know, never saw that. I wasn't citing cowboy hats in isolation, I was seeing it as symbolic.

In anycase wearing Cowboy Hats to salute Calgary and the Stampede is a meaningful gesture to Calgary. Conversely wearing "Klondike Days attire" of a long defunct exhibition that does not exist here is no gesture at all. Its not even a token gesture, or nothingburger using your words.

I mean best to avoid either right? The broadcasts are supposed to be impartial.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
this is a funny thread

Coming from a guy that’s always hand wringing about what some basement dwellers on the Mains think about the Oilers.

Fans and trolls are fans and trolls. This is a corporation that has a vested interest in the success of the team they shit on. Pretty absurd, but my experiences with Rogers is that the customer is always wrong, which reflects in their messaging.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Coming from a guy that’s always hand wringing about what some basement dwellers on the Mains think about the Oilers.

Fans and trolls are fans and trolls. This is a corporation that has a vested interest in the success of the team they shit on. Pretty absurd, but my experiences with Rogers is that the customer is always wrong, which reflects in their messaging.
this joint has been bat shit crazy for awhile and inmates are now running it

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
this joint has been bat shit crazy for awhile and inmates are now running it

Okay bud

1654712426015.jpeg

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They just got a court injunction to shut down offshore streaming services over internet that are delivering free NHL broadcasts, we all know the www address ;) so they are fighting back. Must be feeling the heat.
Just read the article on the injunction. Judge notes: ““unprecedented in Canada” and raises “novel and complex” legal issues, namely on how it could impact “net neutrality” and freedom of expression.”

Ahh of course Rogers is on the forefront of this bullshit. Wonder what their argument to the judge included. Probably “we bought a monopoly on hockey so we could price gouge all Canadians, not just some!”

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I cancelled my cable soon after the cowboy hats and everyone with red outfits during the BoA. Didn’t hurt that Telus App is shit and I work out of town

Not surprised with the “Losers” tweet. We knew they always felt that way, now it’s 100% confirmed. Never understood why some people talk about this city so much if they hate it. Hosers for sure

JSlick

Oct 17, 2016
Edmonton
We didn't have a single pro oilers person for any oilers playoff game. Maybe Loui I guess but even he was pumping LA's tires that first series and during the handshakes for example was talking about how amazing LA were all series. It was kind of annoying, lets get an oilers homer that defends the team just to even out some of that bias.
Am I the only one that prefers neutral commentators?

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

I do too. But do they exist? Seems like some American broadcasts are more neutral. TNT and ESPN have been far better than their Canadian counterparts so far

Reactions: oilers'72

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006

I prefer neutral commentators too. I cannot imagine having a Jack Edwards type of homer calling my games. That shit is annoying as f. Nothing needs to be said about having a hater as a commentor too. Aint nobody wanna hear a dude hating on your team 82 times a year.

Reactions: oilers'72

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Yeh just bat shit crazy. Nothing wrong with the tweets obviously, that’s why Sportsnet deleted them.
Thanks for creating this thread. I'm really fed up with the bias. SN and TSN. That tweet was the tipping point for me. If anyone thinks that this only about one tweet, you haven't been watching. I can list a whole slew of Grade A Fkrs on both channels that almost always have negative takes on the Oilers. I had to stop watching certain programs on both and/or constantly having to mute because of some stupid ass take on the team. It's never positive. FO !! As people have mentioned previously, it's McDavid jealousy. They can't get over it and it's 7 years later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad