If you support Rogers or Sportsnet, you support literal Oilers haters and trolls. Let’s get this Boycott going!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
What did the tweet say?
The cowards deleted it but here's a screenshot of it.

Screenshot (1602).png

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I do too. But do they exist? Seems like some American broadcasts are more neutral. TNT and ESPN have been far better than their Canadian counterparts so far
I've watched a lot of regional and national US coverage over the years. For the most part, pretty neutral. I find the issue with Canadian broadcasting and Canada in general is us having to deal with monopolies. Monopolies in airlines, mobile and cable service and TV broadcasting. God knows what else. You're pretty much forced to take whatever they give you in service and opinion. Don't know about you but I'd like to never step foot on an Air Canada flight again but I don't have much of a choice. Too many monopolies here and we all pay a premium for it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's just a fact that a lot of their employees are Leaf fans. To see the Oilers take the spot light makes them feel jealous and resentful. It makes them feel good to see the Oilers fail.

The funny thing obviously is that the Oilers were a final four team. The hate against them from out east is to prop up some thought that somehow the Leafs are better. It's sad. And honestly it is unprofessional. I know it's just memes and it's fun, but the short term period after getting eliminated is painful and these cackling memes are the last thing you need to see at that moment. So maybe Sportsnet and the Score should care about how their employees conduct themselves. If these employees are using the corporations megaphone for their own personal opinions that is concerning

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
It's just a fact that a lot of their employees are Leaf fans. To see the Oilers take the spot light makes them feel jealous and resentful. It makes them feel good to see the Oilers fail.

The funny thing obviously is that the Oilers were a final four team. The hate against them from out east is to prop up some thought that somehow the Leafs are better. It's sad. And honestly it is unprofessional. I know it's just memes and it's fun, but the short term period after getting eliminated is painful and these cackling memes are the last thing you need to see at that moment. So maybe Sportsnet and the Score should care about how their employees conduct themselves. If these employees are using the corporations megaphone for their own personal opinions that is concerning
It’s hardly their personal opinions though. It’s who pays the bills. At the end of the day probably 70% of the Score and Sportsnet’s market is Leaf fans, and they have the opinions like you said that were shared by the pages, and pleases the majority portion of their market. Bob Mackenzie used to get bombarded with “Toronto Sports Network” and such tweets for years till he finally came out and was like something along the lines of “yeah we know, who do you think pays the bills here”, Darren Dreger on his own podcast talked about how he dreaded and hated covering Marners holdout and negotiations and how embarrassing it was practically sleeping on his doorstep, but that’s what the producers wanted because that’s what gets the clicks.

Whether you like it or not the leafs fanbase dominates the Canadian hockey market, so the sports outlets are going to cater to their veiw points to generate clicks and revenue.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
It’s hardly their personal opinions though. It’s who pays the bills. At the end of the day probably 70% of the Score and Sportsnet’s market is Leaf fans, and they have the opinions like you said that were shared by the pages, and pleases the majority portion of their market. Bob Mackenzie used to get bombarded with “Toronto Sports Network” and such tweets for years till he finally came out and was like something along the lines of “yeah we know, who do you think pays the bills here”, Darren Dreger on his own podcast talked about how he dreaded and hated covering Marners holdout and negotiations and how embarrassing it was practically sleeping on his doorstep, but that’s what the producers wanted because that’s what gets the clicks.

Whether you like it or not the leafs fanbase dominates the Canadian hockey market, so the sports outlets are going to cater to their veiw points to generate clicks and revenue.

…meaning the reason for these cringe tweets was because McDavid and the Oilers live rent free in Leafland. :laugh::help:

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

that's all fine and good, catering to your biggest fan base, but to not only not cater too, but completely alienate another section of your customers is bad business.

They just have a bad business model when it comes to hockey. Rogers treats it like a regional Leafs network, and pretty much shits on any other team in Canada minus Toronto West (Calgary) for some reason. if they were smart, they would dial back the Leafs coverage just a little bit, and up the coverage of the other teams a bit as well, now instead of 70% of the country they have 100% of the country and everybody's happy.

Problem is that will never happen because of personal biases of the people involved, the vast majority are Leafs fans and don't want to cover other teams, especially the Oilers, so they do only what they are contractually obligated to do and nothing more. and Oilers, Jets ,Canucks and Senators fans mainly have to put up the constant disrespect of their franchises.

Rogers is by far the worst sports media outlet I have ever seen, with Bell Media not far behind and unfortunately we have no other legitimate options here in Canada.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
that's all fine and good, catering to your biggest fan base, but to not only not cater too, but completely alienate another section of your customers is bad business.

They just have a bad business model when it comes to hockey. Rogers treats it like a regional Leafs network, and pretty much shits on any other team in Canada minus Toronto West (Calgary) for some reason. if they were smart, they would dial back the Leafs coverage just a little bit, and up the coverage of the other teams a bit as well, now instead of 70% of the country they have 100% of the country and everybody's happy.

Problem is that will never happen because of personal biases of the people involved, the vast majority are Leafs fans and don't want to cover other teams, especially the Oilers, so they do only what they are contractually obligated to do and nothing more. and Oilers, Jets ,Canucks and Senators fans mainly have to put up the constant disrespect of their franchises.

Rogers is by far the worst sports media outlet I have ever seen, with Bell Media not far behind and unfortunately we have no other legitimate options here in Canada.
Completely alienate is a strong opinion for an ill timed meme, and I personally think people are over reacting. The Oilers get their share of coverage obviously not leaf level, but they have given Mcdavid his due and in the playoffs I thought. The media outlets are bad I would agree, but that’s the thing with being Canadian and having minimal selection, Rogers borders on a monopoly. As well like I said about the tweet, it was to appease a leaf fan base that hadn’t generated many clicks with a first round exit

The Oilers get way more coverage then the Jets, Flames, Senators, and lately the Canucks. The amount of coverage and catering is per the size of the fan base/ success of the team in recent years, I would say and it goes like this.

Leafs

Habs

10 piles of ****

Edmonton/Vancouver

Calgary/Winnipeg/Ottawa

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Bell owns TSN, Rogers own Sportsnet. Together they own the Leafs as well as most of the sports media outlets in the country .

Reactions: oilers'72

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
We didn't have a single pro oilers person for any oilers playoff game. Maybe Loui I guess but even he was pumping LA's tires that first series and during the handshakes for example was talking about how amazing LA were all series. It was kind of annoying, lets get an oilers homer that defends the team just to even out some of that bias.

I come in peace.....

Being in Houston, and having to watch the US broadcast, it was just the opposite. It was all Oiler's all the time. Of course, that would mean you'd have to sit through some of the worst commentaries of all time!

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Got a notice that NHL centre ice is done after the playoffs which sucks as I want nothing to do with sportsnet

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
The amount of money Roger's and sportsnet pump into the games I figure they can root for whomever they want.

I'm not gonna cry over it.

I mis Cherry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad