If you support Rogers or Sportsnet, you support literal Oilers haters and trolls. Let’s get this Boycott going!

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
this is where they just laugh at you

if you are serious about about what they did? Write the CRTC and get about 1000 other individuals to write 1000 different letters

Unless the rules have changed 1000 is the number of complaint letters or emails needed to get the CRTC to start an investigation

my guess is other fan bases are laughing their asses off at this thread
This isn’t a CRTC issue. Congrats on getting likes from literal Oilers trolls and hater tho.

Whatever. The best way to shut them up is ignore them. And win the cup.
Better way in the meantime. Take your dollars away from their company.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Why were both tweets deleted if Rogers thought they were a good idea and good for business? Oh that’s right, an adult at Rogers came to work today and said no to both.
They were lame jokes, do you want to go through life getting mad about stuff like that?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Why were both tweets deleted if Rogers thought they were a good idea and good for business? Oh that’s right, an adult at Rogers came to work today and said no to both.
Or they got wind that they might actually lose dollars over this. And they will, people are cancelling their subscription to sportsnet app over it. As they should.

Reactions: draftlottery

draftlottery

May 10, 2015
They were lame jokes, do you want to go through life getting mad about stuff like that?
Again. Why were they deleted if it’s a non-issue? You’re entitled to not care and other people are entitled to think they were classless. Alienating customers is never good for business, even if some people think those people are being thin skinned. Their eye balls and dollars are worth just as much as those people who could care less.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
The same broadcaster last night the PBP guy Cuthbert? Mentioned the AV's close to getting the "Killshot" a few times in the game. said with a type of glee about the Oilers being killed. Not beat, not a team winning. "Killshot" Of course I had problems with that and mentioned it. Its offensive for so many reasons;

1)The broadcast was hoping for the Killshot, for the Oil to be killed, put down.

2)Kids are part of the viewing audience could they use any more appropriate terminology? "Dad, what is a Killshot" "Well son, its when....

3)Its a national broadcast involving the last Canadian team. CBC/Rogers/Snet are co producers so in effect the National Broadcaster is sanctioning a view that the last remaining Canadian Club ought to get killed. That they were behind the US team. This is what we get for our tax money. It needs to be emphasized that this is an in part CBC production and the game was on CBC. the whole series was, most of our playoff games were. So it goes further than boycotting Snet/ CBC. I'll let the reader determine what is involved in that, I can't state it here.

Last edited:

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
The genuine disdain shown towards the Oilers and their fans during this playoff run was complete unacceptable to me. Last time I checked the oilers were canadas last remaining team but the butthurt panel couldn’t get over the gentleman’s sweep of the flames. Sportsnet should be barred from showing Oilers games after that pathetic display. This is a Canadian sports network how about showing some fan fare for a Canadian team you friggin tools?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The source matters. No one gives a shit that they were just “lame jokes” and everyone can obviously handle a chirp or they wouldn’t be spending any time on HF. It’s the fact that it came from Sportsnet, who’s supposed to be a National Canadian Broadcaster without bias, who’s already shown a history of being biased against the Oilers and literally does control the narrative around Hockey in this country.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Again. Why were they deleted if it’s a non-issue? You’re entitled to not care and other people are entitled to think they were classless. Alienating customers is never good for business, even if some people think those people are being thin skinned. Their eye balls and dollars are worth just as much as those people who could care less.
I never said it was a non-issue, I explained why some people are making it an issue.

TypeSly

Jan 29, 2010
Wayne Gretzky Drive
Because some people spend too much time in this echo chamber and have come to believe that the whole world is against them.

Yes, because the all-knowing condescending HF poster says so 🙄. Imagine the Sportnet panel coming out laughing with brooms and re-writing the Oilers logo to have it spell LOSERS post-game. You'd be happy about this? And even if you couldn't care less, how is that professional and constructive for the broadcaster? It wasn't and that's why the tweets from both companies were removed immediately and I'm sure they weren't thrilled with the person(s) who decided to post them. If you read the comments, there were many journalists who commented and weren't happy with lack of class and professionalism shown there.

But I'm sure they were also among the people who spend too much time in this echo chamber too, right?

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
At first I thought it was probably the result of the social media personnel tweeting from what they thought was their personal account after forgeting to sign out of the official one. But there were multiple tweets, right? Hard to believe those tweets were sent from the SN account by mistake.

I wonder how Mark Spector feels about it. Too bad he's not on Stauffer's show today because there is no chance Bob doesn't take the opportunity to take a big ol' dump on SN while Spector is on the show.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This isn’t a CRTC issue. Congrats on getting likes from literal Oilers trolls and hater tho.

Better way in the meantime. Take your dollars away from their company.
actually it is--the score still has a TV broadcast license I assume or is it all on line? Every network has a mandate to serve the public interst and abide by certain things. Did the troll all Canadian hockey clubs the same way? if not they could be in conflict with their mandate. Since their twitter is aligned with their station--it falls under the same umbrella

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Hahaha you guys take things too serious.

It was weird tweets though to say the least. I bet someone probably got let go today.

However the panel was an absolute disgrace this year. Unwatchable intermissions. It’s pathetic we have no other option really. If there is a better option I’m definitely willing to spend the money.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There is an immense difference between some sports blogger posting this sort of thing and it appearing on an official social media site of a company whose name is on the arena that the last game was played in and with an entity that you do tens of millions of dollars in business with each year . There is no doubt that for the bozos who thought this was clever, that this is a firing offense. My guess is that they are already out the door.

Last edited by a moderator:

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
Tweet has been deleted. Anyone care to explain/describe?

Never mind, read an article describing the tweets. National media has got to be better than that, to say the (absolute) least.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The same broadcaster last night the PBP guy Cuthbert? Mentioned the AV's close to getting the "Killshot" a few times in the game. said with a type of glee about the Oilers being killed. Not beat, not a team winning. "Killshot" Of course I had problems with that and mentioned it. Its offensive for so many reasons;

1)The broadcast was hoping for the Killshot, for the Oil to be killed, put down.

2)Kids are part of the viewing audience could they use any more appropriate terminology? "Dad, what is a Killshot" "Well son, its when....

3)Its a national broadcast involving the last Canadian team. CBC/Rogers/Snet are co producers so in effect the National Broadcaster is sanctioning a view that the last remaining Canadian Club ought to get killed. That they were behind the US team. This is what we get for our tax money. It needs to be emphasized that this is an in part CBC production and the game was on CBC. the whole series was, most of our playoff games were. So it goes further than boycotting Snet/ CBC. I'll let the reader determine what is involved in that, I can't state it here.
Given the recent news I was very surprised Cuthbert used that term. It was extremely unprofessional.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Given the recent news I was very surprised Cuthbert used that term. It was extremely unprofessional.
As part of my work I'm very familiar with narratives. Cuthbert would not have used that term in isolation. It would likely be part of an ongoing on and off camera eroding of the commentary. Such things sometimes "leak" in front of a microphone. But they do often in context of inappropriate stuff being stated. So that we see tips of icebergs, but enough of them to get a gist.

In short inappropriate commentary gets amplified in inappropriate settings where people are being inappropriate. Think bar banter. Thats the unfortunate part of this. You hear stuff like that ON the broadcast and you just wonder what else is being stated.

Extremely unprofessional. Yep. Insensitive to countless tragedies currently going on? yep. This is an experienced broadcaster screwing up this bad. On a National network.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There is a reason why many of us have "why are you so pissy" on our avatars. The Canadian hockey coverage has become extremely unprofessional. It's no wonder that players prefer to play in the US. Down there they can leave the rink and live their lives without having to deal with all the BS. It's one thing to legitimately criticize extremely well paid athletes who don't get it done. But the stuff these guys have to deal with is often juvenile.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
As part of my work I'm very familiar with narratives. Cuthbert would not have used that term in isolation. It would likely be part of an ongoing on and off camera eroding of the commentary. Such things sometimes "leak" in front of a microphone. But they do often in context of inappropriate stuff being stated. So that we see tips of icebergs, but enough of them to get a gist.

In short inappropriate commentary gets amplified in inappropriate settings where people are being inappropriate. Think bar banter. Thats the unfortunate part of this. You hear stuff like that ON the broadcast and you just wonder what else is being stated.

Extremely unprofessional. Yep. Insensitive to countless tragedies currently going on? yep. This is an experienced broadcaster screwing up this bad. On a National network.
Come on now I think this is reaching. I agree that the commentary, panelists, media are horrid ... but killshot can reference a litany of perfectly acceptable and G, PG rating tier subjects. Do we not encourage children to go hunting? Video games?

Linking his comments to a school shooting is just as senseless as them grinning ear to ear as the last Canadian team gets eliminated.

What's up with the Oilers hate anyway? Did all of these people grow up when the Oilers dominated the 80's so badly that they've grown to hate them even still? I wasn't around for that but that must be it right? The bias is absolutely brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad