If you support Rogers or Sportsnet, you support literal Oilers haters and trolls. Let’s get this Boycott going!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Come on now I think this is reaching. I agree that the commentary, panelists, media are horrid ... but killshot can reference a litany of perfectly acceptable and G, PG rating tier subjects. Do we not encourage children to go hunting? Video games?

Linking his comments to a school shooting is just as senseless as them grinning ear to ear as the last Canadian team gets eliminated.

What's up with the Oilers hate anyway? Did all of these people grow up when the Oilers dominated the 80's so badly that they've grown to hate them even still? I wasn't around for that but that must be it right? The bias is absolutely brutal.
My first take on the term "Killshot" was what happens on a killing floor in a "packing plant" Fourier reminded that the term has other connotations as well. In anycase its an offensive and inappropriate term to be using in front of an audience that would include youth and kids. Its offensive to Oilers viewers in general that the National Broadcast we pay for was wanting the Oilers to be euthanized and cheering it on.

Whether parents encourage X activity or not is one thing. this is a hockey telecast that could be using some professional restraint and at least somewhat partisan broadcast. The whole televising of the Oilers during playoffs contained contempt.

Reactions: oilers'72

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Come on now I think this is reaching. I agree that the commentary, panelists, media are horrid ... but killshot can reference a litany of perfectly acceptable and G, PG rating tier subjects. Do we not encourage children to go hunting? Video games?

Linking his comments to a school shooting is just as senseless as them grinning ear to ear as the last Canadian team gets eliminated.

What's up with the Oilers hate anyway? Did all of these people grow up when the Oilers dominated the 80's so badly that they've grown to hate them even still? I wasn't around for that but that must be it right? The bias is absolutely brutal.

It IS a strange thing to say though, tbh. It's hard to make it sound less vitriolic.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Bush league, but I found it funny. I find many inappropriate things funny. Especially at the Oilers expense. Apologies should be coming.

Megapint

May 18, 2022
Leaf homers basically all inundated within the broadcasting team. Jealous to the core. Moss pit blew Jurassic Park out , our arena was nicer louder, fanbase more electric ... poor Media lol. They have nothing.

1st round exit next year at the hands of the Hurricanes, you heard it here first !

Apparently the tweet has been deleted.

The West needs thier own broadcasting rights. Pro Oilers, Flames, Canucks. These guys from the East are tweeners.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
There is an immense difference between some sports blogger posting this sort of thing and it appearing on an official social media site of a company whose name is on the arena that the last game was played in and with an entity that you do tens of millions of dollars in business with each year . There is no doubt that for the bozos who thought this was clever, that this is a firing offense. My guess is that they are already out the door.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote, and I hope people don't misinterpret my earlier post as excusing HNIC for their actual transgressions (the aforementioned tweet being a prime example). Rogers is generally a terrible company and an even worse sports broadcaster. What they've done and continue to do with HNIC is a travesty.

But I stand by my original comment. All too often I see Oilers fans, (and Edmontonians, and even western Canadians in general) all too eager to play a sort of victim role. And they'll grasp at flimsy things to support this narrative. I mean, we're actually going to call out Cuthbert now for harbouring some kind of anti-oiler sentiment? Seriously? The man is pure class and one of the best in the businees (and on a whole other tier than genuine biased goofs like Hrudey). I guess I shouldn't be surprised - many in this fanbase also say and said the same things about Simpson, Singh, Remenda, Ferraro.

And while we're at it, killshot is generally a dumb term and is maybe not something we should be using anymore given the associations (can we omit "dagger to the hear" and"annihilate", then too? Or how about "own" or "dominate", etc as well?). But it's also a term that's used in tennis and has pretty clear understanding outside its literal meaning.

But that's all just IMO.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The absurdity of this still boggles my mind. They literally just threw shade at a team they have the broadcasting rights to and naming rights on their building to pump the tires of a team that they have zero stake in financially.

I consider this to be the equivalent to if Disney put out a tweet mocking the latest Marvel movie to pump the tires of the latest DC movie.

Who the hell shits directly on their own product.

Last edited:

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
I don't really care either way, but it's weird considering the situation. You have Draisaitl gutting it out with one leg, visibly struggling several times to skate back to the bench, adding four primary assists to force an overtime. You have Darnell Nurse playing with a torn hip flexor, at below 50% of his usual capability. And you have Mike Smith, 40 year old goaltender finally looking his age. The end result is, they can't get it done against the most stacked team in the league.

This loss wasn't embarassing. The core guys have nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone left all they had on the ice. Injuries and goaltending weren't on their side, but ultimately it was just about being beaten by the best team in the league. Last year was completely different and they earned being ridiculed. This year though? Err... it just seems forced.

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014
It seems like the tweet has been removed. Does anyone have a screenshot to share?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't disagree with anything you wrote, and I hope people don't misinterpret my earlier post as excusing HNIC for their actual transgressions (the aforementioned tweet being a prime example). Rogers is generally a terrible company and an even worse sports broadcaster. What they've done and continue to do with HNIC is a travesty.

But I stand by my original comment. All too often I see Oilers fans, (and Edmontonians, and even western Canadians in general) all too eager to play a sort of victim role. And they'll grasp at flimsy things to support this narrative. I mean, we're actually going to call out Cuthbert now for harbouring some kind of anti-oiler sentiment? Seriously? The man is pure class and one of the best in the businees (and on a whole other tier than genuine biased goofs like Hrudey). I guess I shouldn't be surprised - many in this fanbase also say and said the same things about Simpson, Singh, Remenda, Ferraro.

And while we're at it, killshot is generally a dumb term and is maybe not something we should be using anymore given the associations (can we omit "dagger to the hear" and"annihilate", then too? Or how about "own" or "dominate", etc as well?). But it's also a term that's used in tennis and has pretty clear understanding outside its literal meaning.

But that's all just IMO.
Political correctness is obviously something one has to have it limits and truthfully I have no issue with Cuthbert. But given the events of recent days it would seem to me that this term was inappropriate in a hockey broadcast. But really that is just a side bar to the topic of the thread.

Reactions: oilers'72

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
There is an immense difference between some sports blogger posting this sort of thing and it appearing on an official social media site of a company whose name is on the arena that the last game was played in and with an entity that you do tens of millions of dollars in business with each year . There is no doubt that for the bozos who thought this was clever, that this is a firing offense. My guess is that they are already out the door.

It seems like the tweet has been removed. Does anyone have a screenshot to share?

Fourier's linked article on Page 3 has screen caps of them.

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014
Fourier's linked article on Page 3 has screen caps of them.
Thanks man. No wonder there’s a national celebration whenever Leafs lose in the first round

Some 19-year-old Leaf fan intern just got in trouble.
Imagine the fan of a team that loses in the first round every year is mocking a team that made it to the west final 😎

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Thanks man. No wonder there’s a national celebration whenever Leafs lose in the first round

Imagine the fan of a team that loses in the first round every year is mocking a team that made it to the west final 😎

I keep seeing the "team x won the same amount of games the Oilers did in the conference finals" joke from Canucks, Flames, and Leaf fans

I can't fathom how stupid a person has to be to make that joke. It clearly only works as a first-round joke, but I keep seeing it repeated.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I keep seeing the "team x won the same amount of games the Oilers did in the conference finals" joke from Canucks, Flames, and Leaf fans

I can't fathom how stupid a person has to be to make that joke. It clearly only works as a first-round joke, but I keep seeing it repeated.

It’s tough for fans of those teams to remember what a conference final actually means. At least it’s “only” been 11 years for the Canucks, I guess

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
The internet has created a society where content which creates hate and vitriol is king. It's what drives clicks, which drives ad$. That's why theScore is so ridiculous on Twitter, they are dying, hoping that a combination of gambling deals and shi*tposting will save them.

By the way.... Flames suck !!

Reactions: LevelingSolo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad