If Marc Bergevin is fired, who do you want for next Habs GM ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Next Habs GM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
No, he is a close friend of my uncle and I got to meet him at my cousins wedding in October 2016 and we talked about hockey of course and the Subban trade at the time. I was looking for a picture of him at the wedding I have but damn I can't find it. Also got to see the Panthers v Caps in his seats.

14691376_10157767633510045_9163315835781953325_o.jpg
And he wanted to quit Florida for MTL ?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
...you're stating what you think happened as fact and then turning my argument into a ridiculous straw-man by basically contradicting your first point.

Patrick Roy Statement

We know the vision he wasn't aligned with. It lead to one of the worst teams in the NHL being one of the best run in the NHL.

Patrick Roy talks decision to leave Avalanche

This is mostly directly from Roy. He didn't agree with the team vision, he didn't like the players they were bringing and he didn't like how people working from the team. I could point out that this was right around the time or right after they brought in guys like MacFarland, Dawson Sprigings and Arik Parnass.

Will you relax haha
My point is: nobody know what was the nature of the difference in philosophy.

The Avs were going to become a good team after Roy regardless. To say the team was terrible when he was there and then it became good, is a big “yeah no shit”. It’s not a proof of bad work by Roy and good work by Sakic.

Reactions: Vachon23

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Brodeur wouldn't play here because of the media and he won't GM here. No idea if we would want him to.

Roy would be fine if we are tanking, maybe. Wouldn't be surprised if he motivated a bad team to scrape into the playoffs and trashed the tank, though.

The habs should start grooming more people and getting groups of hockey guys together. Then evaluate them and promote the best. Without putting huge value on ex-stars or local boys.

They really managed to mess up with the local boys, Houle was never going to be a good GM, Tremblay and Carbonneau might have worked out if they'd started off at a lower level, done some training, taken some courses, gotten some experience, but they didn't, just started at the top and failed badly. Savard did OK but they kept him after he stopped caring. Gainey was a great player and a terrible GM. Jarvis looked good but they let him go.

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
Brodeur as GM
Martin Madden Jr AGM (amateur scouting) Change all the personnel or most.
Roy coach

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Roy sounds entertaining as hell so voted him.
I'm a big fan of Damphousse - who supposedly was in the running, so surprised he's not there.

But honestly - I like them both as players, no idea how they'd do gm-wise. I know one of my biggest issues with Bergevin is his passiveness and complacency (not this season, but in the past) - and I know for a fact Roy would be the opposite based on his temperament. So that's attractive. Of course being overly emotional isn't necessarily a great trait in a gm either

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Why is Roy getting so much love? He's done f*** all since his winning the Memorial cup 15 years ago.

1. Rest of the options suck
2. He's entertaining as hell
3. Rest of the options suck
4. Bergevin is passive as hell. Roy would be the opposite of that
5. Rest of the options...suck?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Given the sharp turnaround of the AHL club, I'd be inclined to give Joel Bouchard the reigns. He's done great work, and has a keen sense of the youth already playing in the system.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Why is Roy getting so much love? He's done f*** all since his winning the Memorial cup 15 years ago.

And this is why the Habs are a mediocre team for the last 25 years.
Fans never learn from their past mistakes and simply want more of the same.

Did it ever worked? Nope, not even close.
Will we make the same mistakes again? According to this poll, yes.

You would think that after following the last 25 years of being one of the bad franchise in hockey, people would want something different, but nope. Fans hold on to the history of winning of this franchise.

But when we were winning, we would have the best candidate as GM, not the french one with a familiar name that will fill seats at the bell center.

3/4 of those names shouldn't even be considered.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

You would think that after following the last 25 years of being one of the bad franchise in hockey, people would want something different, but nope. Fans hold on to the history of winning of this franchise.

But when we were winning, we would have the best candidate as GM, not the french one with a familiar name that will fill seats at the bell center.

Yup - and most important of all with self imposed restrictions of not hiring the best candidate but best French speaking candidate have a very limited cesspool to choose from w perhaps none of them even qualified or barely.....

Reactions: Milhouse40

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Brodeur wouldn't play here because of the media and he won't GM here. No idea if we would want him to.

Roy would be fine if we are tanking, maybe. Wouldn't be surprised if he motivated a bad team to scrape into the playoffs and trashed the tank, though.

The habs should start grooming more people and getting groups of hockey guys together. Then evaluate them and promote the best. Without putting huge value on ex-stars or local boys.

They really managed to mess up with the local boys, Houle was never going to be a good GM, Tremblay and Carbonneau might have worked out if they'd started off at a lower level, done some training, taken some courses, gotten some experience, but they didn't, just started at the top and failed badly. Savard did OK but they kept him after he stopped caring. Gainey was a great player and a terrible GM. Jarvis looked good but they let him go.

Gainey was a good GM before the death of his daughter. He build a Stanley Cup winning team in Dallas and he rebuild the Habs before his daughter died

Reactions: dcyhabs

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
If Roy can become the President of Hockey Ops, and put his ego aside to allow the best GM candidate available (french or not) make the player decisions - im fine with it. It just might allow us to hire someone without language being an issue.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

What mistake ?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If Roy can become the President of Hockey Ops, and put his ego aside to allow the best GM candidate available (french or not) make the player decisions - im fine with it. It just might allow us to hire someone without language being an issue.
Simple question, why do you want a hockey president ?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

I disagree that Roy is the same mistake, it's about as different you can go on the GM scale.

If we are real here for a second, this organization is very much still rolling with the Gainey group with some added Bergevin stooges (for the past 18 years). Roy isn't coming here without a total reset.

I don't want Roy as much as I want a total reset.
And frankly, if you think Roy is "the same mistake", well I don't know what to tell you besides you have no idea who Patrick Roy is. We'd make new mistakes, not sure they would be better, but they would be new.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
1. Rest of the options suck
2. He's entertaining as hell
3. Rest of the options suck
4. Bergevin is passive as hell. Roy would be the opposite of that
5. Rest of the options...suck?

It's not like we are in a position to judge who is a strong candidate anyways.
You probably don't even know what most of the people on that list have done and you have to Google it.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's not like we are in a position to judge who is a strong candidate anyways.
You probably don't even know what most of the people on that list have done and you have to Google it.

You kind of answered your own question.

No - I don't know what most people on that list have done without googling, you're right. And I didn't bother googling all of them. Roy is a fun option, with some cons but some pros too, and so I voted for him. Probably a lot of others did something similar

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Carbonneau might have worked out if they'd started off at a lower level, done some training, taken some courses, gotten some experience, but they didn't, just started at the top and failed badly.

Carbonneau's record doesn't look like someone who "failed badly" IMO:

2006-07Montreal CanadiensNHLHead824234060.549
2007-08Montreal CanadiensNHLHead8247250100.634
2008-09Montreal CanadiensNHLHead†663524070.583
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: dcyhabs

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You kind of answered your own question.

No - I don't know what most people on that list have done without googling, you're right. And I didn't bother googling all of them. Roy is a fun option, with some cons but some pros too, and so I voted for him. Probably a lot of others did something similar
What fun? He's not gonna be in the press every week cracking jokes.
Did you forget the objective is to win? Bergey is actually pretty fun during his pressers, and he makes good individual trades. How's that working? Right.
You probably don't even know who the 31 GMs are, neither do I, let alone some of their assistants.
Let's hire the most qualified, not who's the most fun.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Montreal does groom candidates in how to become GMs. Unfortunately, they do it by giving rookies the actual job and then praying they figure it out. By the time our rookie GMs learn from their mistakes and strengthen their weaknesses (assuming they do) the team is four steps behind. Marc Bergevin is a better GM today than he was when he started; unfortunately, today's Habs are still recovering from his early mistakes and inexperience.

In Montreal, it's become oddly normal to treat the GM and head-coach positions as internships. We happily accept the untrained and less-qualified for the two most important management jobs in professional hockey. Sure, sometimes a rookie can be the best qualified, but that's rare and – most important – 'best-qualified' is not the hiring metric we're using here. In Montreal, we use the metrics of a reality show to hunt for the next GM or coach. The vetting isn't governed by proper HR standards but by media buzz. First, find the most popular personality. Second, hope he might, maybe, someday become a successful GM. Winning is a priority. However, it's not the top priority.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I vote we keep Bergevin and continue our search for a coach if we fail to make the playoffs. Bergevin's done some solid work these last few seasons and we're sitting on a nice stockpile of picks and prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad