If Marc Bergevin is fired, who do you want for next Habs GM ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Next Habs GM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Based on what ? The guy just want to win, I do think he will surround himself the best way he can to be successful

And yes I don't think he's getting fired either it was more wishful dream then a scenario

Is there anyone in any front office anywhere in the NHL that doesn't want to win, doesn't want to be successful, or doesn't want to surround themselves with the best? You're not going to find a candidate anywhere that doesn't fit that mold.

He's GM AND Coach in the Q. He only agreed to be head coach in the NHL if he also got a front office role as well. He quit when he didn't agree with direction the Avs were going in/felt like his input wasn't being used. He quit on the Habs because of coaching decisions.

He was also vocally anti-data (played a role in why he quit the Avs) and doesn't appear to have anyone in that role with the Remparts now.

The front office isn't the roster or even the coaching staff. You (in this case, "you" is Molson) don't look at acquiring a head scout or an AGM to fill out your front office roster. You find the right guy to run your front office and let them do your thing.

I simply don't believe Roy is going to do, say, what Shanahan has done in Toronto or what Dundon/Waddell has done in Carolina (build a player development staff, a hockey research and development staff, integrate those staffs in the decision making process like the scouting staff, etc.), which is what Bergevin hasn't done and what he should have done.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Is there anyone in any front office anywhere in the NHL that doesn't want to win, doesn't want to be successful, or doesn't want to surround themselves with the best? You're not going to find a candidate anywhere that doesn't fit that mold.

He's GM AND Coach in the Q. He only agreed to be head coach in the NHL if he also got a front office role as well. He quit when he didn't agree with direction the Avs were going in/felt like his input wasn't being used. He quit on the Habs because of coaching decisions.

He was also vocally anti-data (played a role in why he quit the Avs) and doesn't appear to have anyone in that role with the Remparts now.

The front office isn't the roster or even the coaching staff. You (in this case, "you" is Molson) don't look at acquiring a head scout or an AGM to fill out your front office roster. You find the right guy to run your front office and let them do your thing.

I simply don't believe Roy is going to do, say, what Shanahan has done in Toronto or what Dundon/Waddell has done in Carolina (build a player development staff, a hockey research and development staff, integrate those staffs in the decision making process like the scouting staff, etc.), which is what Bergevin hasn't done and what he should have done.

Yes he want to have the final word in the decision but it doesn't mean he doesn't want to be surrounded by the best, he just want to have the final word.

That's false, Benoit Desrosiers is his assistant coach and he's a analytic guy and Roy use it and like it more then he taught. He just doesn't like the Corsi stats (What I agree with him) what was used by the Avalanche at that time. Patrick Roy se laisse tenter par les statistiques avancées

And not it's not Molson, but Roy that will choose his assistant. I'm just confident that he will well surrender himself. In the Q (I know it's not the NHL but it's the best way to see what type of executive he his), he surround himself by Christian Vermette, who was considered the best head scout in the Q, Martin Laperrière who is the best AC in the Q and many team would like as HC and Benoit Desrosiers a analytic guy. Why would't he hired the best staff possible in the NHL when he does it in the Q ?

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Yes he want to have the final say but it doesn't mean he doesn't want to be surrounded by the best, he just want to have the final word.

That's false, Benoit Desrosiers is his assistant coach and he's a analytic guy and Roy use it and like it more then he taught. He just doesn't like the Corsi stats (What I agree with him) what was used by the Avalanche at that time. Patrick Roy se laisse tenter par les statistiques avancées

And not it's not Molson, but Roy that will choose his assistant. I'm just confident that he will well surrender himself. In the Q (I know it's not the NHL but it's the best way to see what type of executive he his), he surround himself by Christian Vermette, who was considered the best head scout in the Q, Martin Laperrière who is the best AC in the Q and many team would like as HC and Benoit Desrosiers a analytic guy. Why would't he hired the best staff possible in the NHL when he does it in the Q ?

Benoit Desrosiers is not an "analytics guy" in the sense that most people use it (management), he's a guy that explained them to Roy. Which is useful, but the stats that a GM uses and the stats that a coach uses are different.

For one, Corsi is generally very useful to the front office. For another, the Avs never used Corsi in their decision-making process. I'll believe it when I see it, but he's a lot more of a Hunter than a Dubas, and there is definitely a reason teams like Toronto went for one and not the other.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Benoit Desrosiers is not an "analytics guy" in the sense that most people use it (management), he's a guy that explained them to Roy. Which is useful, but the stats that a GM uses and the stats that a coach uses are different.

For one, Corsi is generally very useful to the front office. For another, the Avs never used Corsi in their decision-making process. I'll believe it when I see it, but he's a lot more of a Hunter than a Dubas, and there is definitely a reason teams like Toronto went for one and not the other.

«Quand j’ai commencé, on travaillait avec des cassettes! Les méthodes ont grandement changé et chacune a ses forces et ses faiblesses. Quand je dirigeais l’Avalanche, les statistiques avancées se limitaient au Corsi, qui faisait en sorte que si un joueur prenait un tir depuis le restaurant en face de l’aréna, il avait un plus au même titre qu’un joueur qui prenait un bon tir dans l’enclave. Le jeu évolue rapidement et je pense que l’enseignement devient de plus en plus important.»

CH: Patrick Roy flatté - TVA Sports

I do agree that there is difference in the stats that the coach and the GM used but he does show that he's open to that part of the game. For Hunter I do think that his draft resume with the Leafs din't help him and with Shanahan, Dubas was a better fit then Hunter.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The franchise has never been the same since Patrick left...he has a desire to win so I believe in him. Honestly he is my second choice...my first is Julien Brisebois but unless there are some palms greased and some secret handshakes I don't think that can happen. If Patrick ends up being the guy I have no issue with it, he is a winner.

I liked him as a goalie and is passionate,but that might be why he's not the ideal choice,too emotional.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
«Quand j’ai commencé, on travaillait avec des cassettes! Les méthodes ont grandement changé et chacune a ses forces et ses faiblesses. Quand je dirigeais l’Avalanche, les statistiques avancées se limitaient au Corsi, qui faisait en sorte que si un joueur prenait un tir depuis le restaurant en face de l’aréna, il avait un plus au même titre qu’un joueur qui prenait un bon tir dans l’enclave. Le jeu évolue rapidement et je pense que l’enseignement devient de plus en plus important.»

CH: Patrick Roy flatté - TVA Sports

I do agree that there is difference in the stats that the coach and the GM used but he does show that he's open to that part of the game. For Hunter I do think that his draft resume with the Leafs din't help him and with Shanahan, Dubas was a better fit then Hunter.

I read that article already. Roy straight up doesn't understand how to interpret data if that's his position on Corsi. And that's more than a little concerning. And I don't trust that he'd surround himself properly if he's missing the point that much.

My argument is about process over actual decisions. Like with Hunter, it was less his draft records, but more why certain players were drafted and why those decisions were made. Hunter seems pretty analogous to Roy in terms of a FO choice and it seems pretty similar to what Montreal has already.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Montreal is in a terrible position. They need to completely gut the team instead of what they have been doing for the last 10 years. The Canadiens roster is going nowhere as it's built. You have to draft your stars instead of trying to sign/trade for them. That pretty much goes for most Canadian teams with the exception of the leafs. Trying to get a name brand guy like Roy to come in might not be the move at this point.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Poor cap/asset management.
Ugh so dumb and this all can be traded back to Drouin for Sergachev....make that trade, give Drouin a not terrible but not great contract. Don't sign Markov and still need a left D so sign Alzner to a way too long and way to rich contract. Now he is hurting the cap without even being on the team anymore...fun times.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Ugh so dumb and this all can be traded back to Drouin for Sergachev....make that trade, give Drouin a not terrible but not great contract. Don't sign Markov and still need a left D so sign Alzner to a way too long and way to rich contract. Now he is hurting the cap without even being on the team anymore...fun times.

The BIGGEST, most consistent issue with the Bergevin era that involved actions taken (as opposed to actions not taken) is his complete inability to understand how modern NHL D works. The Sergachev for Drouin trade, the ****ing with Markov, the Weber/Subban trade (which only looks good due to a back injury to Subban), the Alzner signing, the Chiarot+Edmundson signings instead of PMD.

Reactions: dcyhabs

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Perhaps a combo like this? Tallon has ton of GM/President experience he could babysit Roy, while Roy does all the day to day work.

President: Dale Tallon
GM: Patrick Roy

Reactions: Capitano

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Perhaps a combo like this? Tallon has ton of GM/President experience he could babysit Roy, while Roy does all the day to day work.

President: Dale Tallon
GM: Patrick Roy
Tallon was almost the Habs GM instead of Bergevin but Florida would not let him out of his contract.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
do you have a link of that ?
No, he is a close friend of my uncle and I got to meet him at my cousins wedding in October 2016 and we talked about hockey of course and the Subban trade at the time. I was looking for a picture of him at the wedding I have but damn I can't find it. Also got to see the Panthers v Caps in his seats.

14691376_10157767633510045_9163315835781953325_o.jpg

Reactions: Vachon23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad