If Marc Bergevin is fired, who do you want for next Habs GM ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Next Habs GM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Roy wasnt gm of team Canada.
He didnt build a 15 years dynastie like Hunter did and he did not had à executive job either
The only time Hunter was GM for team Canada is this yrs and it's for the WJC-20 where it's more the coach who make the decision and for the team he but in the London, it's easier when you have more money then anyone and that all the US player and Euro player only want to play with your team. Roy have this advantage to0 you will say but not like London. The US player are not that attractive by a French market and the OHL have the exclusivity for more US player. And Roy was VP of hockey operation and in charge of the trade so he does have a little bit of experience

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
...What? That argument makes zero sense. What's the point of even hiring a GM if a team is going to be a good team regardless. Its not like teams like Buffalo, Edmonton, etc. Colorado was just going to be good.

I'm not sure how you can hand wave the poor job Roy did coaching and his clear philosophy clash. I mean, **** it, just hire anyone off the street who's bilingual. If the Habs are meant to be good, they'll be good.

Because it was apparent what was needed and the youth that was coming - while the Duchene club party needed to go.

Poor job? The Avs had no business winning anything with the team they had and Roy played his cards. Not sure you can say more than that about his "coaching performance". Roy resigned, he was not pushed out.

The vast majority of teams who tank gets much better and contenders in a 5-7 years period. Buffalo isn't proving anything, they are the exceptions.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think better our days are coming soon... like when Ron Francis been fired in carolina. The next few years carolina did really well. It wasnt because Don Wadell moves. Maybe Francis didnt win a lot during his management time, but he built something strong especially in farm club/prospect pool, for many years.

Agreed. With or without Bergevin as our GM, I like our direction.

The biggest question with me is do we keep the vets or do we make more moves to futures. When? This offseason or in 2 years when Weber retires? A new GM might consider that more than Bergevin IMO.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think better our days are coming soon... like when Ron Francis been fired in carolina. The next few years carolina did really well. It wasnt because Don Wadell moves. Maybe Francis didnt win a lot during his management time, but he built something strong especially in farm club/prospect pool, for many years.

Francis was fired, but no one else important really was. They reorganized, moved to a more horizontal management structure and promoted guys like Tulsky and Yorke. The people who were helping Francis build are still there, but with more power.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
...What? That argument makes zero sense. What's the point of even hiring a GM if a team is going to be a good team regardless. Its not like teams like Buffalo, Edmonton, etc. Colorado was just going to be good.

I'm not sure how you can hand wave the poor job Roy did coaching and his clear philosophy clash. I mean, **** it, just hire anyone off the street who's bilingual. If the Habs are meant to be good, they'll be good.

Are there any details of this clear philosophy? What is Roy's philosophy or for that matter what is Sakic's?

Because it's not like Sakic wanted to rebuild by acquiring top picks and Roy wanted to compete right now because Roy left and Sakic did nothing to actually rebuild.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'm not so sure what moves you want him to make? The only moves he really can make is trading Weber and Price with retention for whoever futures he can get and we have another re set hoping to win a draft lottery at the right time?

The only critics I'll accept from fellow Habs fans on Bergevin is to stop with the vets and trying to win with Price/Weber cause it won't work. I'm on the fence about that but it's a valid debate. Lets face it, if we end up in the 2nd or 3rd round, we get some luck along the way.

So maybe the timing is now to double down on the youth movement. A new GM would be more open to that than Bergevin. That's a fair comment
When we will be ready to contend, we will sure have some holes so someone who will pay the price even if it's step to get the player that we need and not someone who will go in the bargain market and will get a #5-6 for cheap price when you need a top 4 PMD.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I'm 50/50 on Roy and 0 on Hunter. I rather Bergevin over Hunter.

The thing with Roy is he understands top talent more than Hunter or Bergevin. Roy has actually played on cup winning teams and understand this more than depth players who become management.

I'd take a shot on Roy but I'd bring in a guy like Smith to be his president. Someone Roy respects and can work well with

Well, it's just that Hunter's team in the OHL is one of the best place for developping NHL players in the last 15 years.
Marner, Tavares, Domi, Anderson, Tkachuk, Perry, Athanasiou just to nake a few.....so how Roy understand top talent more?

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Agreed. With or without Bergevin as our GM, I like our direction.

The biggest question with me is do we keep the vets or do we make more moves to futures. When? This offseason or in 2 years when Weber retires? A new GM might consider that more than Bergevin IMO.
Imo, one of Weber/Price should leave. It always depend on the trade market. We will need cape space. I mean, i don’t know if a GM is in love with weber. If im Bergevin and i heard about it. Im trading Weber right now. Lol. Tatar has to leave too. You need to clear space about the cap and signing maybe better ufa or just resign your young players on a better salary for more years.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The only time Hunter was GM for team Canada is this yrs and it's for the WJC-20 where it's more the coach who make the decision and for the team he but in the London, it's easier when you have more money then anyone and that all the US player and Euro player only want to play with your team. Roy have this advantage to0 you will say but not like London. The US player are not that attractive by a French market and the OHL have the exclusivity for more US player. And Roy was VP of hockey operation and in charge of the trade so he does have a little bit of experience

Yep, he couldn't be before cause he was Asst-GM for the leafs.....then why they didn't picked Roy even as an assistant-gm during all those years?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Well, it's just that Hunter's team in the OHL is one of the best place for developping NHL players in the last 15 years.
Marner, Tavares, Domi, Anderson, Tkachuk, Perry, Athanasiou just to nake a few.....so how Roy understand top talent more?
But you need to understand that s big part those player choose to play for London, Hunter has nothing to do with that

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When we will be ready to contend, we will sure have some holes so someone who will pay the price even if it's step to get the player that we need and not someone who will go in the bargain market and will get a #5-6 for cheap price when you need a top 4 PMD.

A strategy of filling in key holes in trades and UFA signings is a bad plan. You won't get better results than what Bergevin has done recently and look at where we are?

If you hired Yzerman as the GM and you were the President who tells him this strategy, you know what he tells you? Screw that plan and lets trade some vets for futures and let the youth grow together. All in move comes after they are in their prime years.... if that move is available.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Big budget like Smith in Halifax. I rather pluck Smith as President and let Hunter enjoy his Ontario time.

Leafs pass on Hunter and you think he is a good fit for the Habs? I rather not go there

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Because it was apparent what was needed and the youth that was coming - while the Duchene club party needed to go.

Poor job? The Avs had no business winning anything with the team they had and Roy played his cards. Not sure you can say more than that about his "coaching performance". Roy resigned, he was not pushed out.

The vast majority of teams who tank gets much better and contenders in a 5-7 years period. Buffalo isn't proving anything, they are the exceptions.

The youth was not coming. Rantanen was coming. And you're missing the key pieces the team acquired after Roy left, most of which weren't obvious moves.

And the vast majority of teams who tank get better, but don't reach contender status. Nor do all even reach playoff level. All you need to do is look at the top-10 picks in the 2015 and 2016 drafts and see which teams are actual contenders now. Its basically Toronto, Colorado and Carolina.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
yet, if Hunter is so good, why no teams are considering him ?

You mean like in Pittsburgh this year: Candidates emerging for Penguins GM job, team looking for hire in ‘2-3 weeks’ - PensBurgh

Or the Wilds' Job: Minnesota Wild GM Candidate Review: Mark Hunter | Zone Coverage

Os Seattle: Candidate pool for Seattle NHL's coach and GM is long and deep - Sportsnet.ca

He was also consider for Totonro obviously

You see in those article there's tons of options.....why Roy is not even mentioned once while Hunter has been mentioned by every teams looking for a GM?

You see EVERY teams is considering him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Imo, one of Weber/Price should leave. It always depend on the trade market. We will need cape space. I mean, i don’t know if a GM is in love with weber. If im Bergevin and i heard about it. Im trading Weber right now. Lol. Tatar has to leave too. You need to clear space about the cap and signing maybe better ufa or just resign your young players on a better salary for more years.

If I trade the vets, It's not about cap space. It's about the draft

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
A strategy of filling in key holes in trades and UFA signings is a bad plan. You won't get better results than what Bergevin has done recently and look at where we are?

If you hired Yzerman as the GM and you were the President who tells him this strategy, you know what he tells you? Screw that plan and lets trade some vets for futures and let the youth grow together. All in move comes after they are in their prime years.... if that move is available.

You build by the draft yes but you need to be able to fill the hole with good trade/UFA, like STL. They had a good D and good wingers but they needed C. What they did ? they acquired ROR/Schenn and they won the cup. TB needed a top 4 and grit what they did ? they got McDonagh/Coleman/Goodrow. MTL needed a a top C between 2014-2016 what MB did ? he got Ott/Martinson/Flynn/King/Mitchell

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Big budget like Smith in Halifax. I rather pluck Smith as President and let Hunter enjoy his Ontario time.

Leafs pass on Hunter and you think he is a good fit for the Habs? I rather not go there

Since when the Leafs is the organization to follow?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
You mean like in Pittsburgh this year: Candidates emerging for Penguins GM job, team looking for hire in ‘2-3 weeks’ - PensBurgh

Or the Wilds' Job: Minnesota Wild GM Candidate Review: Mark Hunter | Zone Coverage

Os Seattle: Candidate pool for Seattle NHL's coach and GM is long and deep - Sportsnet.ca

He was also consider for Totonro obviously

You see in those article there's tons of options.....why Roy is not even mentioned once while Hunter has been mentioned by every teams looking for a GM?

You see EVERY teams is considering him.

And he never win it maybe there is a reason. Peter Chiarelli is always consider him to for the GM open space, does that mean he's a good GM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad