If Marc Bergevin is fired, who do you want for next Habs GM ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Next Habs GM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You mean like in Pittsburgh this year: Candidates emerging for Penguins GM job, team looking for hire in ‘2-3 weeks’ - PensBurgh

Or the Wilds' Job: Minnesota Wild GM Candidate Review: Mark Hunter | Zone Coverage

Os Seattle: Candidate pool for Seattle NHL's coach and GM is long and deep - Sportsnet.ca

He was also consider for Totonro obviously

You see in those article there's tons of options.....why Roy is not even mentioned once while Hunter has been mentioned by every teams looking for a GM?

You see EVERY teams is considering him.
you know McGuire was also considered by various teams at some point, even before being considered here... so fact he was considered at some point by more teams make him a better candidate (than Roy) right ?

besides...

did not get the Penguins GM gig
did not get the WIld GM gig either
and will not GM the Kraken for now

have other examples of Job he did not get ?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
And he never win it maybe there is a reason. Peter Chiarelli is always consider him to for the GM open space, does that mean he's a good GM ?

Chiarelli was an NHL GM, of course he's being considered like every other ex-NHL GM without a job.
Hunter did not get pick, that I agree with.....but at least he's in the talks, 31 others teams doesn't even consider Roy....why should we?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You build by the draft yes but you need to be able to fill the hole with good trade/UFA, like STL. They had a good D and good wingers but they needed C. What they did ? they acquired ROR/Schenn and they won the cup. TB needed a top 4 and grit what they did ? they got McDonagh/Coleman/Goodrow. MTL needed a a top C between 2014-2016 what MB did ? he got Ott/Martinson/Flynn/King/Mitchell

I understand where you are coming from but it starts with a young core first. I would like to see the young core get stronger with few more hits in the draft first. Then you allow them to grow together.

Waiting for trades or UFA's is part of the strategy but timing is hard to predict. I rather have a surplus of assets where we can trade a Center for a LD or vice versa. Same age ish.

Acquiring ROR and Schenn for cheap in a trade is luck

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Chiarelli was an NHL GM, of course he's being considered like every other ex-NHL GM without a job.
Hunter did not get pick, that I agree with.....but at least he's in the talks, 31 others teams doesn't even consider Roy....why should we?

Why has Hunter not been hired yet? It's been a while since the Leafs let him walk.

Seems like we are trying to make a move for the sake of it cause our GM's name is Bergevin and his popularity is low.

I would consider that Hunter not being hired is a sign after your "in the talks" narrative.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
you know McGuire was also considered by various teams at some point, even before being considered here... so fact he was considered at some point by more teams make him a better candidate (than Roy) right ?

besides...

did not get the Penguins GM gig
did not get the WIld GM gig either
and will not GM the Kraken for now

have other examples of Job he did not get ?

Well, you were the one asking why he was not consisdered.....which you were dead wrong about it. (Changing the goal post i see)
He didn't get the jobs, of course, there's 15 candidates every times a GM job opens....and not one of those 15 were ever Roy.

As for McGuire, he's being considered ahead of Roy.....that should tell you what every other teams thinks about Roy.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I understand where you are coming from but it starts with a young core first. I would like to see the young core get stronger with few more hits in the draft first. Then you allow them to grow together.

Waiting for trades or UFA's is part of the strategy but timing is hard to predict. I rather have a surplus of assets where we can trade a Center for a LD or vice versa. Same age ish.

Acquiring ROR and Schenn for cheap in a trade is luck

That's why I said when whe are ready to contend, I was not saying that for this yrs. ROR/Schenn where traded for many pick/prospect what MB never did. Sometime you need to take a gamble to bring your team to an other level

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Why is he not in the AHL then?
There is a reaskn why he just picked un an agent this week....would have needed one if other teams were looking at him

NHL coaches don't go back in the AHL. They don't work for 5-6 years, go in the media, or manage an entire organization in juniors.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
You know that how?
Why would he not be interested to represent his country?
He said it I don't remember when. Team Canada is a great opportunity for CHL coach to make a name in the hockey world, but Roy doesn't need that and maybe he want to concentrate 100 % on his team and not having is head elsewhere during the trade window in the Q.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
great, we can give him a scouting job.

Lol, the guy drafted and developed top NHL players for the last 15 years.....This year he has McMicheals, Foudy and Bouchard.
He build a freaking dynastie years in and years out. His team NEVER missed the PO in 15 years.
Was assistant-GM in the rebuild of the Leafs, Was GM and won gold with Team Canada.

Yeah, we should disregard him cause he speaks english and he's not a familiar name as Roy......

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's why I said when whe are ready to contend, I was not saying that for this yrs. ROR/Schenn where traded for many pick/prospect what MB never did. Sometime you need to take a gamble to bring your team to an other level

I think this is coming but the question is when. Do we be proactive and make that move now (more futures in the line-up) or do we wait till Weber retires in 2 more seasons and Price is likely traded

Reactions: Vachon23

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Well, you were the one asking why he was not consisdered.....which you were dead wrong about it. (Changing the goal post i see)
He didn't get the jobs, of course, there's 15 candidates every times a GM job opens....and not one of those 15 were ever Roy.

As for McGuire, he's being considered ahead of Roy.....that should tell you what every other teams thinks about Roy.
not changing goalposts, find it worse to actually be considered all the time and not be taken, like ever.

I mean, given the move he made (agent), one could argue that Roy was not interested before so that's why he was never considered, but you can't say the same for Hunter. For all we know anyway, both would suck harder than Bergevin, it's probably the hardest thing to measure for fans as 99% of GM work is behind closed doors and no fans ever really know who does what exactly.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lol, the guy drafted and developed top NHL players for the last 15 years.....This year he has McMicheals, Foudy and Bouchard.
He build a freaking dynastie years in and years out. His team NEVER missed the PO in 15 years.
Was assistant-GM in the rebuild of the Leafs, Was GM and won gold with Team Canada.

Yeah, we should disregard him cause he speaks english and he's not a familiar name as Roy......

I'll ask again. Why did some other team not jump on Hunter after the Leafs let him walk? It's been like 2 years now bud. Hunter has a good OHL resume but like I said, it's similar to Smith in Halifax. They got big budgets to hire scouts and they have advantages.

Hunter would be a better head scout consideration vs GM at the NHL level

The one thing I like about Roy is not the language he speaks. It's his no nonsense approach and keeping everyone accountable. I think a respectable high end manager who is going to call people out is lacking with the Habs.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Why is he not in the AHL then?
There is a reaskn why he just picked un an agent this week....would have needed one if other teams were looking at him

Did you see the list of people that agent also represented? Plenty of top quality people.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
He said it I don't remember when. Team Canada is a great opportunity for CHL coach to make a name in the hockey world, but Roy doesn't need that and maybe he want to concentrate 100 % on his team and not having is head elsewhere during the trade window in the Q.

Team Canada is a stepping stone for GM and Coaches for decades.....Roy, not a single team want to touch him with a ten foot pole after the shit show he pulled with Colorado. You think he couldn't use this to help jumping back in the NHL?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

is that the reason he was not chosen by the Wild, Penguins or Kraken ? language ?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
not changing goalposts, find it worse to actually be considered all the time and not be taken, like ever.

I mean, given the move he made (agent), one could argue that Roy was not interested before so that's why he was never considered, but you can't say the same for Hunter. For all we know anyway, both would suck harder than Bergevin, it's probably the hardest thing to measure for fans as 99% of GM work is behind closed doors and no fans ever really know who does what exactly.

He was picked for Team Canada and for assistant-GM (more like the GM at that time) for the Leafs.
I agree with the second part, we don't know half of it when it comes to be a GM......but I know from our own history that picking a familiar with no credential like Roy, Darche, Damphousse don't work, we have the last 25 years as proofs.

Yet, none of our GM have ever been consider by any other teams.....that's not mistake I want to make again. If not one other teams consider them , we should not either.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
is that the reason he was not chosen by the Wild, Penguins or Kraken ? language ?

No it's not......but tell me, why Roy has NEVER been considered by any other teams at all....no, it's not the language, but it's the language that makes Habs fans considering him, that's the problem.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
He was picked for Team Canada and for assistant-GM (more like the GM at that time) for the Leafs.
I agree with the second part, we don't know half of it when it comes to be a GM......but I know from our own history that picking a familiar with no credential like Roy, Darche, Damphousse don't work, we have the last 25 years as proofs.

Yet, none of our GM have ever been consider by any other teams.....that's not mistake I want to make again. If not one other teams consider them , we should not either.
You have a point there I think, although Roy was part of the Avs org as coach though, your boy was asst-GM, both did it for a very short time and did not get another NHL gig after... makes them somewhat equal IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad