If Marc Bergevin is fired, who do you want for next Habs GM ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Next Habs GM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Molson will have interviews with potential GMs and hire the one who will be his best friend and promises they can create a contender with a few moves and not a rebuild. They don’t wanna lose $ with a bad team for a few years, they wanna try and be ‘competitive’ because they are short sighted AF.

Last edited:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Roy couldn’t beat Bruins and would’ve lost again in 93 had Buf not pulled off a major upset. In 86 Edm chased him out of next after 1-period in both regular season games. Last two Cups were the result of good luck. And Serge Savard had the benefit of being a GM in an era where players had zero autonomy and yet could draft one top-25 scorer, in an NHL that had very little parity
So a pointless rant that has nothing to do with how people still thought the habs were a good team even 25 years ago. Way to go missing the point just to pat yourself on the back, and still be wrong.

By that logic, every team in the last 25 years is lucky to have won a cup including the devils, wings, pitts, chi and avs. Boston won a cup by winning in OT game 7 against a piss poor montreal team in round 1, must have been a fluke:confused: They don't deserve the respect of people thinking they are still a good team.

Last edited:

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
What dirt MB must have on Molson......how any other senior exec trusted with this sort of brief gets away with such mediocrity and - perhaps worse than the results - gets away with such a lack of a coherent, cogent plan fit for the current "business" environment they work in......

It's beyond me, it really is.

Mister Ppil

Jun 22, 2019
It doesn't matter who the GM is as long as we're trying to rebuild on the fly we will continue to have the same results unless NHL draft rules change.

But really the first order of business is to make sure we have the right people in our amateur scouting. That's the key to everything. We just have ZERO top tier talent coming in from our draft picks (hope Caufield bucks that trend).

Second order of business is for whomever comes in to start believing windows exist and to trade away Price, Weber, Petry, Gallagher, etc. But you just know whoever is going to come in is going to keep those guys around...

So no matter who is GM it'll be the same story again. I've seen it too many times.

Was about to write something similar.

I’m not advocating to keep MB, but I do not see a world where changing the GM will drive any significant results.

Any new GM will come in and say that he’ll need to build through the draft because UFA do not come here (or in Canada in general) and trades are difficult to make (and as many are noting, we do not have that much of value to trade), so we should give him 5 years to achieve his plan and deliver results, and then we cross our fingers that he finds that needle in a haystack in the draft that will make the big difference...

And we know that 2 years in, we’ll have a semi-decent year with our current prospects and he will be pressured to make a push for a playoff spot by the ownership to make that playoff money (and let’s not kid ourselves, the fans and the media will get excited as well and would be pretty mad if we finish the year 9 or 10 by doing nothing), so he’ll trade our second round pick for a veteran, lose in 6 games in the first round, and end up drafting late in the first, which will put the team behind on its “build through the draft plan”.

And in 5 years, most fans will be calling for his head, then rinse and repeat...

Also, as much as Julien Brisebois is doing a good job, Tampa’s success is based on great drafting, solid development, and convincing players to sign below market value because their post-tax take home will be the same in Tampa vs most other markets. Maybe he can bring the first 2 elements in Montreal, but certainly not the last one... There is no way he could have fit his Stanley Cup winning team under the cap in Montreal, nor any other team they had for the past few years...

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Pretty strongly doubt that Madden wants to relocate to Montreal given where he lives/works. Murray is getting up there in age and the door’s wide open for him to take over in Anaheim.

Brisebois? Fuggedaboutit. No state tax. Golf year round. The amazing local news headlines in Florida. That ship has long since sailed.

Reactions: Supersonic

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Don’t see too many interesting candidates in that group tbh. I think I’d give Pierre a try in all honesty.

I am a Mike Gillis fan, but feel I’m probably in the minority there given how that goaltending situation was handled.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So a pointless rant that has nothing to do with how people still thought the habs were a good team even 25 years ago. Way to go missing the point just to pat yourself on the back, and still be wrong.

By that logic, every team in the last 25 years is lucky to have won a cup including the devils, wings, pitts, chi and avs. Boston won a cup by winning in OT game 7 against a piss poor montreal team in round 1, must have been a fluke:confused: They don't deserve the respect of people thinking they are still a good team.
Habs never came up in the conversation as a Cup favorite in either 86 or 93...no different than present day.

Det, NJD, Avs all defeated the top teams in the league either at the finals or semis - and all were favored by pundits as being favorites for the Cup.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Habs never came up in the conversation as a Cup favorite in either 86 or 93...no different than present day.

Det, NJD, Avs all defeated the top teams in the league either at the finals or semis - and all were favored by pundits as being favorites for the Cup.
You said the habs haven't been significant in over 40 years. Even if not "legit" contenders, you win a cup and you get accolades. Convenient you skipped over anything modern. Do you even like the habs honest question?

I don't live in quebec and we still have enough hab fans that when montreal plays in detroit we make up half the crowd. I would think that is "significant". Even if they haven't done much to deserve it in your eyes.

You don't have to be a cup favourite to be significant. Blues were cup favourites for years, no one gave a crap about them anyway.

Reactions: Astormynight

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
He is 77, no thank you.
That is his dad Martin Madden Sr who has been a scout since the late 60's and was the director of amateur scouting for the Nordiques for the entire decade of the 80's then became their GM for a few seasons before being fired.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
You said the habs haven't been significant in over 40 years. Even if not "legit" contenders, you win a cup and you get accolades. Convenient you skipped over anything modern. Do you even like the habs honest question?

I don't live in quebec and we still have enough hab fans that when montreal plays in detroit we make up half the crowd. I would think that is "significant". Even if they haven't done much to deserve it in your eyes.

You don't have to be a cup favourite to be significant. Blues were cup favourites for years, no one gave a crap about them anyway.
Just because I’m a Habs fan doesn’t mean I need to be blinded by the fact the team has now simply become nothing more than 1-of-31 NHL teams to the younger (future) populace, and the crowds out West and other locales who turn up are representative of the Gen X and older populations who had the fortune of seeing and knowing of a once dominant franchise.

As a hockey franchise the Habs haven’t been of any significance for 40 years

Reactions: EXPOS123

First Line

Summer of Love
Aug 21, 2002
Laval
Was about to write something similar.

I’m not advocating to keep MB, but I do not see a world where changing the GM will drive any significant results.

Any new GM will come in and say that he’ll need to build through the draft because UFA do not come here (or in Canada in general) and trades are difficult to make (and as many are noting, we do not have that much of value to trade), so we should give him 5 years to achieve his plan and deliver results, and then we cross our fingers that he finds that needle in a haystack in the draft that will make the big difference...

And we know that 2 years in, we’ll have a semi-decent year with our current prospects and he will be pressured to make a push for a playoff spot by the ownership to make that playoff money (and let’s not kid ourselves, the fans and the media will get excited as well and would be pretty mad if we finish the year 9 or 10 by doing nothing), so he’ll trade our second round pick for a veteran, lose in 6 games in the first round, and end up drafting late in the first, which will put the team behind on its “build through the draft plan”.

And in 5 years, most fans will be calling for his head, then rinse and repeat...

Also, as much as Julien Brisebois is doing a good job, Tampa’s success is based on great drafting, solid development, and convincing players to sign below market value because their post-tax take home will be the same in Tampa vs most other markets. Maybe he can bring the first 2 elements in Montreal, but certainly not the last one... There is no way he could have fit his Stanley Cup winning team under the cap in Montreal, nor any other team they had for the past few years...
While this could all be true, simply getting “great drafting, solid development, ” would be a huge improvement.
I have doubts Timmins is part of the solution but a patient , competent GM certainly is. If the plan is to build through draft don’t trade a top 10 pick for immediate need.( McDonagh, Galchenyuk, Sergachev) Stop drafting to fill holes! Draft BPA , develop properly.
Not sure how much this has to do with Timmins but without a new GM , there will be no change in drafting philosophy.

Reactions: psychonaut

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
This is the best fit for Madden's skill & experience.

Certainly.

Would love to have a shot as VP of Hockey Ops (would hire a GM), but would never work under this Molson (now if Andrew...). I think Geoff should fire himself if he fires Bergevin.

None of my choices would be about popularity or inside tracks, it would be about competence over everything else.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
If the right candidate isn't available (I don't like many of them), hire a President of Hockey Ops who speaks french and hire Tallon as interim GM (like Hunter in TO) until we find the right person.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It doesn't matter who the GM is as long as we're trying to rebuild on the fly we will continue to have the same results unless NHL draft rules change.

But really the first order of business is to make sure we have the right people in our amateur scouting. That's the key to everything. We just have ZERO top tier talent coming in from our draft picks (hope Caufield bucks that trend).

Second order of business is for whomever comes in to start believing windows exist and to trade away Price, Weber, Petry, Gallagher, etc. But you just know whoever is going to come in is going to keep those guys around...

So no matter who is GM it'll be the same story again. I've seen it too many times.
Yup, our drafting and developing of homegrown talent has been so bad for so long that we've forgotten how essential they are to building a team. Almost every top team has a core of stars they drafted themselves, who are also cost-controlled for the first few years. Montreal currently has two potential core players to show for a decade of drafting – Kotkaniemi and Romanov. Both might become good players but neither is elite. Caufield looks like the first legit star since Gallagher.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
5F508E02-967C-4178-8B72-1E88BC717781.jpeg

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
Habs need to hire a good GM if MB is put and clean the house

Timmins, Lapointe and pour Q scout needs to go..

Nick034

Dec 6, 2017
As a Leafs fan i wish you Peter Chiarelli, all jokes aside someone as good as Sakic or Steve Y. Would be good for you but Molson will probably go with Roy insted of MMjr.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Roy = GM
Martin Madden Jr = Assistant GM + head scout
Dale Hunter = Assistant GM

Bob Hartley = Head Coach
André Tourigny = Assistant Coach
Alex Burrows = Assistant Coach

??

Status
Not open for further replies.