If Marc Bergevin is fired, who do you want for next Habs GM ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Next Habs GM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Money & resources are only useful if it’s about attracting the best & brightest regardless of race, religion, creed or geographic location.....such is not the case for Les Canadiens de Mtl.

Unless tinker bell sprinkles some pixy dust, “times they aren’t a changin”, as the song says
Do you think if the Leafs win a cup and Ottawa becomes a contender, that could potentially start a review/ revamped way of management/ priorities?

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
move away.. if possible Price, Weber, Drouin,

or all of them even tough its pretty much impossible.. somehow maybe Ron Francis wants Shea on his team with Carey.. so they win the cup hehehe. do a Vegas type of 1st year. Do It Ron! ;)

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Hot take but can anyone name a GM who’s done better in a worse situation that Pierre Dorion? I know hahaha we all make fun of the Sens, but given his owner, lack of money, small market etc. he’s and their scouting staff have done an incredible job of actually rebuilding the Sens. They are stacked with young talent and if they didn’t have to blow things up every time players wanted a raise, they’d be a serious threat and continue to develop young players. They’re the Expos of the NHL.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Hot take but can anyone name a GM who’s done better in a worse situation that Pierre Dorion? I know hahaha we all make fun of the Sens, but given his owner, lack of money, small market etc. he’s and their scouting staff have done an incredible job of actually rebuilding the Sens. They are stacked with young talent and if they didn’t have to blow things up every time players wanted a raise, they’d be a serious threat and continue to develop young players. They’re the Expos of the NHL.
I would imagine he would be tickled to go somewhere where money was not an issue.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
We need a new philosophy in this organization. Serge Savard was right of criticizing the team under Bergevin.

9 years under Bergevin and we still have no winning mentality. Patching patching patching. Trading PK and Sergachev set us back in defense for years and now we are stuck with an immobile, atrocious and slow defense. I get the argument of people saying that he won most of his trades and acquisitions (Anderson, Suzuki, Danault, Perry, Vanek, etc) but it does not back up the fact he had a 5 years plan starting in 2012 with drafting Alex Galchenyuk, coming off a Chicago Blackhawks vision of building through the draft.

We are now 9 years later. Lost most of our 1st round picks and in majority because of Trevor Timmins and their development team too. Not saying it's all Bergevin's fault but he has final saying. He is arrogant with the media and the fans and the only reason..the only reason why he still has his job today is because of one man: Carey Price. And he inherited Carey Price.

Letting go of Markov and Radulov was such a set back and will never forgive the Sergachev trade. Weber and Subban trade is justify and Weber helped a lot with leadership, but he is slowing down and this year is showing it unfortunately.

I want a new direction for this team. One that will commit to building a fresh young core with talent. No more patching. No more grinding. We need high end talent. The last time we had success was when we had Alexei Kovalev. The last time we had excitement was with Kovy and PK. Teams like Ottawa and Toronto are gonna be miles ahead of us in the next few years. They have core with young talents: Marner/Matthews and Tkachuk/Stutzle/Batherson/Chabot/Sanderson. Winnipeg has Scheifele/PLD/Ehlers and Vancouver has Pettersson/Boeser/Horvat/Hughes. Looking at the rest of the league, you will see that we are amongst the teams that lack PPG players and only Dallas and St Louis have no PPG lately and won or made the Stanley Cup finals. The rest, all have high end talent. We need talent.

Potential players for PPG season:

Boston: Marchand, Pastrnak Buffalo: Eichel NJ: aucun NYI: Barzal NYR: Panarin, Zibanejad PHI: none PITT: Crosby, Malkin WAS: Ovy (not PPG but seriously), Backstrom, Carlson CAR: Aho for now (Svech is gonna be) CHI: Kane CBJ: aucun Dallas: none Detroit: none FLA: Barkov, Huberdeau NAS: none TBL: everybody ANA: none ARI: none COL: MacKinnon LAK: none MINN: Kaprizov SJS: none STL: none Vegas: Stone, Pacioretty CAL: Lindholm huge season Tkachuk potential EDM: McD et Drai MTL: no one closed OTT: none but Tim Stutzle crazy potential TOR: Matthew, Marner, Tavares VAN: Pettersson, Boeser, JT miller WIN: Scheifele

I am all in for Patrick Roy or overpay Julien Brisebois and charm him to come back to his roots.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
A 17-yr old about to be drafted doesn’t give a f* ck about Mtl Canadiens, and if he’s a high end talent & family is from Quebec they want him as far away as he can possibly be to maintain sanity and live a good life making lots of $ in peace & tranquility.

The Mtl Canadiens haven’t been anything of significance for over 40-years, let that sink in....
Hardly. Up till about the mid 90s (25 years ago) habs were still a top team. Consider we had been to the finals 3 times in 7 years and won twice. Had we not moved Roy, or molson being molson we had a chance at more. Think about top teams now. Go to the finals 3 times in 7 years is a near miracle. Habs were still very relevant after the 70's.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
The overhaul needed, could have Youppi in charge, and we would be better off than Bergy's disaster way of thinking.

We could have nobody as GM and it would still be better than having Marc Bergevin. I think a poster wrote a few years ago how the team would look like if we had no GM and we would be in a better position than where we are with Bergevin right now.

What a disaster indeed.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Isn't he only 50? I think you're referring to Lou. He's 100 yo and still building winning organizations like the Islanders. Age is not a matter in this conversation.
Jr is around 50.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I understand the criticism of the language criteria, still, name me any english names, and you will not have better candidates than Martin Madden Jr, Patrick, Roy and even Bobby Smith. They all have the experience that the others have. And they could CLEARLY be included in the best candidate possible no matter the language they speak. My Dany Dubé pick is outside the zone but whoever wants to talk about Pierre McGuire...has to consider Dubé.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Team has to get it right this time.

MB destroyed an up and coming core and set us back a decade. Years go by quick.

I personally would add to what we have. There’s enough up front and in net to build with (esp if CC is the real deal.) I think rebuilding now actually sets us back.

However, if the new guy wants a full rebuild and commits to it, then I’d get onboard.

Pick a direction and go all in. Either way.

Reactions: Walrus26

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Hardly. Up till about the mid 90s (25 years ago) habs were still a top team. Consider we had been to the finals 3 times in 7 years and won twice. Had we not moved Roy, or molson being molson we had a chance at more. Think about top teams now. Go to the finals 3 times in 7 years is a near miracle. Habs were still very relevant after the 70's.
Roy couldn’t beat Bruins and would’ve lost again in 93 had Buf not pulled off a major upset. In 86 Edm chased him out of next after 1-period in both regular season games. Last two Cups were the result of good luck. And Serge Savard had the benefit of being a GM in an era where players had zero autonomy and yet could draft one top-25 scorer, in an NHL that had very little parity

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Would be cool if they hired a PhD mathematician as GM like in moneyball. They tried it in Arizona and it failed, but maybe it could work with more cap space and a different approach. Athletes are not booksmart, a real sage would do better.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Could we get a English GM if we had a Big name French President ?

I don't know a list of good French GM's available lol

I don't know that there are good GMs available who speak any language. There aren't enough to go around. The habs should start looking for promising people and grooming them.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
It doesn't matter who the GM is as long as we're trying to rebuild on the fly we will continue to have the same results unless NHL draft rules change.

But really the first order of business is to make sure we have the right people in our amateur scouting. That's the key to everything. We just have ZERO top tier talent coming in from our draft picks (hope Caufield bucks that trend).

Second order of business is for whomever comes in to start believing windows exist and to trade away Price, Weber, Petry, Gallagher, etc. But you just know whoever is going to come in is going to keep those guys around...

So no matter who is GM it'll be the same story again. I've seen it too many times.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
It doesn't matter who the GM is as long as we're trying to rebuild on the fly we will continue to have the same results unless NHL draft rules change.

But really the first order of business is to make sure we have the right people in our amateur scouting. That's the key to everything. We just have ZERO top tier talent coming in from our draft picks (hope Caufield bucks that trend).

Second order of business is for whomever comes in to start believing windows exist and to trade away Price, Weber, Petry, Gallagher, etc. But you just know whoever is going to come in is going to keep those guys around...

So no matter who is GM it'll be the same story again. I've seen it too many times.
If a new prez of hockey ops is created and a new GM has free reign then all of Price ,Weber Gallagher etc.They are all over the hill, injury prone overpaid liabilities

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I understand the criticism of the language criteria, still, name me any english names, and you will not have better candidates than Martin Madden Jr, Patrick, Roy and even Bobby Smith. They all have the experience that the others have. And they could CLEARLY be included in the best candidate possible no matter the language they speak. My Dany Dubé pick is outside the zone but whoever wants to talk about Pierre McGuire...has to consider Dubé.
Dean Lombardi. By every measure he's a better choice than any other name.

My other pick would be Dale Tallon, although he left the league under a cloud and is older.

My problem with most of the other picks is that, once again, we'd be handing the most important management job to a rookie. Other teams hire experienced winners to build their roster; Montreal hires interns and then we wonder why we can't win anything.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don’t care who the GM is, it’ll be more of the same with this milquetoast ownership and their fake hockey executive appointee who is all about hotdogs, toilets and whatever else falls within the purview of customer experience once the tarp is removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad