Line Combos: Ideal Lines Vs. Projected Lines 2024/2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think to start the season you will have:
Buch/Thomas/Kyrou
Neighbours/Schenn/Saad
Holloway/Texier/Kappy
Joeseph/Faska/Torp
Walker-Sylvegard

Broberg-CP
Leddy-Faulk
Suter-Kessel
Joesph

JB-Hofer

Sunny on IR
Krug on LTIR
Perunovich is waived

Swap Bolduc and Kappy, and swap Broberg and Leddy and I’d agree.

Last edited:

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Swap Bulduc and Kappy, and swap Broberg and Leddy and I’d agree.
Leddy and Faulk where pretty solid last season, I also liked Kessel with CP.
Kappy's reigning threw me off a bit. I like Bolduc a lot and hope he forces the tough decissions during camp.
Would be great is Kappy and Peru hit waivers and where claimed. That would free up some cap.

Reactions: Mike Liut

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Kappy's reigning threw me off a bit. I like Bolduc a lot and hope he forces the tough decissions during camp.
Would be great is Kappy and Peru hit waivers and where claimed. That would free up some cap.
Leddy and C55 are pretty good at stabilizing any pair. Neither are total stud muffins, but it's good to have a legit #2 and a #3flex.

Scotty P is waiver bait, but also good insurance to have in case of injury during TC or especially if POJ flops. But neither are waivers exempt, so we will probably see both on the opening-night roster.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
IS Sunny still Hurt?

I think Sunny could be back by beginning of season, but why push him when you have good depth pieces this year? Give him couple extra weeks and conditioning stint to get him ready for the season especially with player that has injury history.

He injured it at end of March. Usually 6 months. So he could be back by beginning of season, but like I said I think we have good enough depth this year. I think we should give it a little extra time to make sure he is good and ready for the season.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

I don't think they re-signed Kap just to dump him before the season starts. My gut says he'll be on the team for sure, and to be honest he'd be a great 4th liner. I just don't want him penciled into the top 9, but having him on the PK and 4th line isn't a bad thing. I guess we'll see what we have in Joseph and Sylvegard, who along with Bolduc will somehow round out the forward group.

Like most people I liked what I saw from Bolduc, but considering the number of players we have I could see him starting the year in the AHL. He could force their hand by having a strong camp, so I guess we'll see who grabs those last few spots on offense. If Bolduc doesn't grab a top 9 role outright, then he might be better off playing top minutes in the A instead of 4th line/spot start duty.

Reactions: stl76

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I don't think they re-signed Kap just to dump him before the season starts. My gut says he'll be on the team for sure, and to be honest he'd be a great 4th liner. I just don't want him penciled into the top 9, but having him on the PK and 4th line isn't a bad thing. I guess we'll see what we have in Joseph and Sylvegard, who along with Bolduc will somehow round out the forward group.

Like most people I liked what I saw from Bolduc, but considering the number of players we have I could see him starting the year in the AHL. He could force their hand by having a strong camp, so I guess we'll see who grabs those last few spots on offense. If Bolduc doesn't grab a top 9 role outright, then he might be better off playing top minutes in the A instead of 4th line/spot start duty.
Agree on KK. Solid PK'er, good speed. Not a bad body to have around for the bottom of the lineup.

I would be absolutely stunned to see Sylvegard make the team. In fact, I don't think he even has a chance. He's probably around 18th on the depth chart right now depending on how some of the other kids do(the starting 12(I consider Bolduc part of the starting 12), KK, Dingo, Alexandrov(assuming he eventually signs), MacMac, McGing; then Sylvegard, Dvorsky and Dean in some order).

As much as some people may not like him, Dingo is still in the mix and we all know the coaching staff loves him. He's a relatively easy guy to send to the minors, but I think he's the "benchmark" guy on the depth chart. We know what we have in him. Unless somebody is clearly outplaying him, he's perfectly acceptable as the 13th forward and doesn't need the development TOI that most of the kids do. Basically, he's the incumbent that the kids are going to have to unseat.

Side note; Dear Lord is this a deep group of forwards. This is gonna be a fun season.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Agree on KK. Solid PK'er, good speed. Not a bad body to have around for the bottom of the lineup.

I would be absolutely stunned to see Sylvegard make the team. In fact, I don't think he even has a chance. He's probably around 18th on the depth chart right now depending on how some of the other kids do(the starting 12(I consider Bolduc part of the starting 12), KK, Dingo, Alexandrov(assuming he eventually signs), MacMac, McGing; then Sylvegard, Dvorsky and Dean in some order).

As much as some people may not like him, Dingo is still in the mix and we all know the coaching staff loves him. He's a relatively easy guy to send to the minors, but I think he's the "benchmark" guy on the depth chart. We know what we have in him. Unless somebody is clearly outplaying him, he's perfectly acceptable as the 13th forward and doesn't need the development TOI that most of the kids do. Basically, he's the incumbent that the kids are going to have to unseat.

Side note; Dear Lord is this a deep group of forwards. This is gonna be a fun season.

I actually like Dingo. He's clearly a fringe NHLer but the guy's done everything asked of him and has usually exceeded the modest expectations of most fans. I hope he can get a chance with another team if we don't have a spot for him because he deserves it.

As for Sylvegard, guess we'll find out what we have. I like what I've read about him but of course it's impossible to project his potential. Mac is another guy that probably deserves a 4th line spot somewhere but doubt we have space for him. As for Alexandrov, not really sure what to expect out of him at this point.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

Kappy's signing was before Holloway's offer sheet.

Reactions: TurgPavs

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Leddy/Faulk was never a pairing last year, only 40min together at even strength.
Kessel/Parayko even less so with only 27min together. Also, zero reason to put one of them on their offside to make a pairing, especially when we have so many LHD on the roster.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

It’s amazing to me how much competition Armstrong has created at forward and defense going into camp. With solid coaching and the veteran talent already present, this should translate into a team that starts the year hungry and better than the pundits expect.

Same can be said of Suter.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Also before we picked up Faksa and Joseph, I don't think KK will be waived but he was picked up before we brought in 3 more guys to compete for the same couple spots along with the kids. I think he might find himself on the outside looking in but will likely be in the press box with Walker more often than not.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
I think its safe to say many of these players mentioned are going to be sent to waivers or playin in the A this season.
Kappy's contract doesnt really indicate he is a shoe-in for the NHL roster, Mac Mac played 8 NHL games last year on a one way deal.

On the forwards it would be shocking if the following players where not on the NHL roster
Thomas, Kyrou, Buch, Scheen, Saad, Faska, M Joseph, Holloway, Texier, Sunny, Torp, Neighbours
That leaves 1 or 2 rosters spots open for the following players to fight for
Kappy, Walker, Bolduc, Dean, Dvorsky, Sylvegard, Mac and Alexandrov (Who is not even signed)

On the defense side, same scenario
CP, Faulk, Leddy, Suter, and Broberg are locks to make the roster

That leave 2-3 spots open, depending on if they keep 7 or 8 defensemen.
Peru, POJ, Kessel, and Tucker will fight out for those spots.

IMO the final two on offense is Bolduc and Walker
The final 2 on defense is Kessel and POJ

Reactions: stlwahoo

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
I think Walker makes team for 1 reason. He can play center and is decent on face-offs.

Dvorsky has to be special to make team. Bolduc has to be good because it is worthless not playing him at least in top 9 if not top 6. If they don't make it, both start top line in AHL.

I think I did my team lines

With Bolduc

Bolduc-Thomas-Neighbours/Schenn
Schenn/Neighbours-Buch-Kyrou
Saad-Holloway-Texier
Joseph-Faksa-Torp

Walker & Kap extras. Sunny on IR.

Leddy-Parayko
Broberg-Faulk
Suter-Kessel
POJ

Without Bolduc

Saad-Thomas-Neighbours/Schenn
Schenn/Neighbours-Buch-Kyrou
Joseph/Torp-Holloway-Texier
Torp/Joseph-Faksa-Walker/Kap

Kap & Sylegard/MacMac Sunny on IR

Leddy-Parayko
Broberg-Faulk
Suter-Kessel
POJ

Extra dman is whoever.

I would start Dean-Dvorsky-Bolduc in AHL unless Dvo or Bolduc are amazing.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I’m curious as to why everyone has Joseph as a 4th liner. He’s currently a better player than Holloway, Texier, Faksa, Torpo, Kapanen, etc
I had him as a third liner as well but to be honest, all those guys you listed really could play on any of the bottom 6 lines and I would bet they all get moved around a bit until Bannister finds some combinations that gel together.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I’m curious as to why everyone has Joseph as a 4th liner. He’s currently a better player than Holloway, Texier, Faksa, Torpo, Kapanen, etc
Mainly because of our depth. I like Joseph and think he is getting overlooked a bit.

However, even though he is currently better than Holloway, that’s because Holloway hasn’t turned 23 yet. His ceiling is higher than Joseph’s, so we need to give him legitimate playing time. Doesn’t make much sense to put him on the 4th line.

My view on Texier is similar. He’s almost 25 but I still feel like there may be some untapped potential there. I’d like to get a look at him with some skilled guys in the top 9 instead of the 4th line, at least to start.

So for me, Joseph makes sense to start with Faksa and Toro as a 4th line that will be tough to play against. I like the identity of that group. But Joseph is one of those plug and play guys that can move up into the middle 6 if need be while we try out some different line combos. I’m more than fine if he ends up on the 3rd line in case we’re not getting enough out of one of the younger players.

As a side note, I really hope Nathan Walker gets a spot as a spare forward. I think he deserves to stick in the NHL finally. He’s worked his ass off, plays with a ton of heart and seems to be loved in the room.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Mainly because of our depth. I like Joseph and think he is getting overlooked a bit.

However, even though he is currently better than Holloway, that’s because Holloway hasn’t turned 23 yet. His ceiling is higher than Joseph’s, so we need to give him legitimate playing time. Doesn’t make much sense to put him on the 4th line.

My view on Texier is similar. He’s almost 25 but I still feel like there may be some untapped potential there. I’d like to get a look at him with some skilled guys in the top 9 instead of the 4th line, at least to start.

So for me, Joseph makes sense to start with Faksa and Toro as a 4th line that will be tough to play against. I like the identity of that group. But Joseph is one of those plug and play guys that can move up into the middle 6 if need be while we try out some different line combos. I’m more than fine if he ends up on the 3rd line in case we’re not getting enough out of one of the younger players.

As a side note, I really hope Nathan Walker gets a spot as a spare forward. I think he deserves to stick in the NHL finally. He’s worked his ass off, plays with a ton of heart and seems to be loved in the room.
I agree. I don't think any of us are down on M. Joseph, but perhaps he gets a little lost in the mix. I think we all really like him and are glad to have him here with his brother.

MJ has the upper hand with tons of experience and I like that combo of MJ, Faksa and Toro. Joseph can squirt around the ice on the offensive while the other two cause trouble.

Training Camp will be an absolute monster of a battle and we will see who melts and who crystallizes.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I don't know how it will shake out, but I do know that we will need (exactly) three forwards for the 4th line. That said, a 3rd line of Holloway, Texier and Joseph would probably be a lot of fun to watch.

Reactions: BlueMed

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I have no sense of how to build lines. I can barely make a guess who makes the roster. Training camp this year will be compelling. Thanks to Blues management for transforming a bland interstitial season setting up the rebuild into a season that will be full of young energy and shiny new toys for the fans. I’m really looking forward to this season now.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I love Sunny, but with a healthy team, I’d rather him, Kap and Walker be sitting in the press box each night. I think we have better options this year.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Speaking for myself, I want Joseph with Faksa.
I think that is the base for a very high end shutdown line that you can put out there against any opposing line(shades of Barbs-Sunny-Steen from the Cup team).

Now; the 3rd player on that line is open for discussion. For me; I'd put Tex with them but I can also see the argument for putting Sunny or Toro there. Any way you go, I think you're getting the same result; a very strong defensive line that can handle any assignment including opposing top lines.

That could be huge in terms of keeping Buch, Saad and Schenn rested for later in the season(not to mention take a lot of the strain off of Thomas).

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I have no sense of how to build lines. I can barely make a guess who makes the roster. Training camp this year will be compelling. Thanks to Blues management for transforming a bland interstitial season setting up the rebuild into a season that will be full of young energy and shiny new toys for the fans. I’m really looking forward to this season now.
LOL Me neither. I usually look to @CaliforniaBlues310 for forward lineups, but I don't like his this year. Sorry, bud..... :)

• Haha

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I really hope our coach constructs lines that prioritize developing potential over winning. Looking for short term gains over long terms ones would be shortsighted at this point in the RE.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Would really dislike the Bolduc-Thomas- Neighbors line. That’s way too much youth thrown in with our best player. Thomas is fantastic, but he’s not Crosby.

Unfortunately I am not sure we’re able to, but I really like Thomas and Buch together. We just get way too top heavy when those two and Kyrou are all together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad