Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup? Assuming he has an above average finals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
His disappointment is no different than any other player who loses in the Cup final.

He is different than every other player in the ENTIRE HISTORY of the NHL in refusing to accept the Conn Smythe.

Be upset all you want, but put on your big boy pants and accept the damned trophy.

Giguere did it. Hextall did it. There was zero reason McDavid couldn't have done it.
And I dont criticize them for accepting it although I am wracking my brain in the Hextall one, and I am pretty sure they didn’t call him out in the ice to do it. It was done in a tv interview after if I recall, but someone can correct me on that. I actually think the conn smythe thing changed at some point to be awarded on the ice.

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
What an MVP looks like to the NHL.

Before you reply with whatever you’ve convinced yourself is true…remember you and I had the same number of points in GAME 6 AND 7 of the Cup Finals as the Conn Smythe winner.

From the team that lost.

View attachment 886817

That is exactly what the Conn Smythe winner looks like, because he is the Conn Smyth winner. And deservedly so.

Conn Smythe goes to playoff MVP, not necessarily the best player on the winning team.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Yes he 100% is.
Why to make you happy? Jesus, his life dream just got crushed, he’s a team captain, a leader for his team. He didn’t leave them. Good for him. And good for the others for doing it if they wanted to. Whatever floats their boat.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
What an MVP looks like to the NHL.

Before you reply with whatever you’ve convinced yourself is true…remember you and I had the same number of points in GAME 6 AND 7 of the Cup Finals as the Conn Smythe winner.

From the team that lost.

View attachment 886817
He had one of the best playoffs from an individual in NHL history. Lol what are you talking about?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Was it embarrassing for Giguere and Hextall when they BOTH accepted thr trophy after losing? Or every other player in the history of the NHL who accepted the trophy?

Lol yes it was, have you seen the pictures? Teary eyed McDavid would’ve been a never ending meme.

1719291936941.png

Reactions: iDangleDangle

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I TOLD ALL OF YOU HE WOULD WIN IT DAMN NEAR OVER A WEEK AGO AND THERE ARE LOTS OF YALL WHO DIDN'T BELIEVE ME. HOW DOESN'T HE???

I'm not shouting, I'm celebrating. McD wins the Conn, Cats take the Cup. Life IS fair!

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
Why to make you happy? Jesus, his life dream just got crushed, he’s a team captain, a leader for his team. He didn’t leave them. Good for him. And good for the others for doing it if they wanted to. Whatever floats their boat.
There are parents with children who are dying of cancer who get up every morning and go to work, because they are grown adults and conduct themselves as such. There are soldiers who actually "go to war" who watch their best friend get blown to pieces by a grenade and continue their mission.

McDavid plays a children's game for a living, and gets paid tens of million of dollars to do so.

Lol yes it was, have you seen the pictures? Lol terrible, crying McDavid would’ve been a never ending viral meme.

View attachment 886823
Oh no... not a "viral meme".

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
There are parents with children who are dying of cancer who get up every morning and go to work, because they are grown adults and conduct themselves as such. There are soldiers who actually "go to war" who watch their best friend get blown to pieces by a grenade and continue their mission.

McDavid plays a children's game for a living, and gets paid tens of million of dollars to do so.
You sir may be drunk or stupid or both, have a good night for jumping the shark on this post. Moron.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
The league and the game itself is more important than f*cking McDavid or any individual player.

Players used to understand this. Now we get this selfish BS f refusing to touch trophies, refusing to accept trophies, next will be refusing to shake hands after the game.

And the same people defending McDavid will defend players who skip the handshake line too.
Your name is fitting

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Some people would leave their team after a crushing defeat, leave their brothers in arms in the locker room, to accept a personal trophy? Wow selfish much? Would lose respect in the locker room, nothing is above the team, nothing.

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
Some people would leave their team after a crushing defeat, leave their brothers in arms in the locker room, to accept a personal trophy? Wow selfish much? Would lose respect in the locker room, nothing is above the team, nothing.
Pouting like a spoiled child is selfish. Dishonouring the league and the game itself is selfish.

CatOTails

Jul 18, 2011
Latvia
Winning Conn Smythe when your team loses in finals is like getting Hart when missing playoffs. It's possible, but truly what's the point? I mean, McD deserves it, he played his best and did everything for his team to be in game 7.

Hey, you lost, but here's a consolidation prize which will remind you for the rest of your life how you didn't score in 3rd. I can understand McD for not going out to take it. Really, what were they thinking? Just give it to Tkachuk or Bob or whatever and move on.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
Pouting like a spoiled child is selfish. Dishonouring the league and the game itself is selfish.
For a moment there, I thought this was this big scandal that everyone is talking about, so I scrolled through my social media mentions.
But nope, no one other than you is making a big deal out of it, and probably won't even be a side note for what was one of the more exciting finals in a while.
Why are you so angry?

Reactions: Video Nasty

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
Winning Conn Smythe when your team loses in finals is like getting Hart when missing playoffs. It's possible, but truly what's the point? I mean, McD deserves it, he played his best and did everything for his team to be in game 7.

Hey, you lost, but here's a consolidation prize which will remind you for the rest of your life how you didn't score in 3rd. I can understand McD for not going out to take it. Really, what were they thinking? Just give it to Tkachuk or Bob or whatever and move on.
Give the trophy to an underserving player in order to "move on"? Huh?

It's not a consolation prize at all. It's an entirely separate award and seen as a major honour to receive it. It's arguably the 2nd most prestigious award in hockey, only behind the Hart trophy.

And the goof refuses to accept it. That sh*t is unforgivable in my opinion. Guy is spitting on the legacy of the sport.

For a moment there, I thought this was this big scandal that everyone is talking about, so I scrolled through my social media mentions.
But nope, no one other than you is making a big deal out of it, and probably won't even be a side note for what was one of the more exciting finals in a while.
Why are you so angry?
I've explained why very clearly in this thread.

Refusing formerly prestigious trophies and awards is a black stain on the league and the sport.

I'd be saying the same thing if he bailed on the handshake line or refused to celebrate with the Cup if Edmonton had won.

You are spitting on the sport itself. It's fine to be disappointed, but be a man.

CatOTails

Jul 18, 2011
Latvia
Give the trophy to an underserving player in order to "move on"? Huh?

It's not a consolation prize at all. It's an entirely separate award and seen as a major honour to receive it. It's arguably the 2nd most prestigious awards in hockey, only behind the Hart trophy.

And the goof refuses to accept it. That sh*t is unforgivable in my opinion. Guy is spitting on the legacy of the sport.
Dude, you seem to have a problem.
Obviously it's not a consolidation prize, it's an award given to the playoff MVP. Just in case of McDavid it sure looks like one. He's not spitting on a legacy. Although he could go out to at least to take a photo with the trophy, considering circumstances his absence is more than understandable.
The problem is that with or without McD Oilers are not wining the Cup this year. Florida, on the other hand, would not be taking the SC without Tkachuk or Bob or Barkov. Would any of them would be undeserving? I don't think so.

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
Obviously it's not a consolidation prize, it's an award given to the playoff MVP. Just in case of McDavid it sure looks like one. He's not spitting on a legacy. Although he could go out to at least to take a photo with the trophy, considering circumstances his absence is more than understandable.
The problem is that with or without McD Oilers are not wining the Cup this year. Florida, on the other hand, would not be taking the SC without Tkachuk or Bob or Barkov. Would any of them would be undeserving? I don't think so.
McDavid had something like 20 more points than the closest Panther. It would have been a farce to give it to a Florida skater.

Although it's not a certainty, there is a very good chance that this is the only Conn Smythe award this guy will ever win in his career. And the goof didn't even accept it.

Blows my mind that people don't see that for the total joke that it is.

It's such a lack of maturity and a display of childishness.

Reactions: hn777

CatOTails

Jul 18, 2011
Latvia
McDavid had something like 20 more points than the closest Panther. It would have been a farce to give it to a Florida skater.

Although it's not a certainty, there is a very good chance that this is the only Conn Smythe award this guy will ever win in his career. And the goof didn't even accept it.

Blows my mind that people don't see that for the total joke that it is.

It's such a lack of maturity and a display of childishness.
Well, if there's been a playoffs ArtRoss trophy, McDavid would have won it. What's your point?

He was frustrated, beat down and already in the locker room when the award winner been announced. Maybe he wasn't even aware it will be given to him. It's more on league than on McD. When you lose in game 7 of SC finals winning playoffs MVP is not on top of your head.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Gained a lot of respect for McDavid staying with his teammates instead of dancing for Gary to receive a shitty consolation prize. That's someone I'd go to war with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad