Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -VI .. *crickets*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
First off I want to preface this by saying, I hope this negotiation get resolved and Swayman is signed to a contract keeping him in Boston for several years and that Swayman becomes everything we hope he will be and more so that everyone is happy.

Hypothetical scenario here:
Let's assume Boston began negotiations with an offer of 6.4m per yr. Let's assume that is the opening offer and let's also assume Boston has a line drawn as a cap figure per yr they will not cross with Swayman.

Let's also assume that Swayman's camp began negotiations with a request of 9 or 10 mil per yr ... wanting to take into consideration unrealized player potential, escalating league cap structure, and a desire to be paid as one of the top goalies in the league.

At 6.4 Boston's offer would place Swayman at 5th or 6th highest paid active goalies currently. Swayman camp wants more. Boston obviously can not pay Swayman 9 or 10 mil without drastically altering the the depth, structure, and possibly core of the team.

In such a scenario something has to give.
Swayman most likely is going to want to earn an income this year. Boston is going to want to have stable depth at goalie this year and going forward.
Boston will have to raise their offer, Swayman's camp will have to reduce their demands - compromise.

Hypothetically, let's say Boston's max offer is 8.4 mil per for 8 years. Swayman should take it because NHL contracts are basically guaranteed money even if he falls flat on his face. The vanity aspect of wanting to be paid as one of the highest paid goalies in the league should survive through out the eight years even with the cap going up. At least two of the active goalies now making more than that amount will retire during that time frame. And then there is the question of how many goalies in the league are currently qualified or in a position to make more during that time frame? Not very many ... maybe 2 possibly 3?

Swayman with such an offer is not being punished, he is being rewarded for a promise of what might be all while being paid amongst the highest paid goalies in the league. Swayman stats look good, but in reality he has accomplished nothing out of the ordinary that many other goalies have also accomplished. There is a real possibility that this last spring's playoff performance might be the best that Swayman ever plays as a player in the NHL. There is also the risk Boston would be taking that Swayman doesn't turn into Raycroft when traded to Toronto or become like many other goalies who once looked promising but flamed out. If Boston were to offer that much he should take the money and run. Lastly, at the end of the 8 yrs if he plays well he would still be in a position to cash in again.

Otherwise, there is possibly a local car dealership that could use a salesman or a local grocery that needs a bagger. Hell, I wish I was offered 6.4 mil for 8 yrs to play a game I love.

Couple things wrong with this. 6th highest TODAY. The problem is they want that value for 8 years. Saros penidng contract already passes that. Shesterkin will demolish that. Demko, oettinger for youth. Linus will also be getting a new deal. Plenty of goalies that will pass that. So you so he'll be 6th highest. So it's a short term deal. So now we're back to walking him to UFA, but oh no can't do that. Want him long term. Well that costs.

I believe if 8.5 x 8 was offered Swayman would be in camp today. The Bruins have never taken that path with any player so I'm perfectly fine in assuming that hasn't happened. I've also already mentioned if Swayman is looking for 10 m he is in the wrong.

As for the risk. Every single contract with term has risk. Period. To point to this one as a deal breaker after years of Sweeney throwing away money at bad UFAs is one of the dumbest points of contention. Based on Swayman's career, I don't think that is an issue.

And now we're back to the classic. Swayman should be lucky to do what he does, f***ing upstart kids don't know there place. Take what we deem you should get and thank us for it.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Couple things wrong with this. 6th highest TODAY. The problem is they want that value for 8 years. Saros penidng contract already passes that. Shesterkin will demolish that. Demko, oettinger for youth. Linus will also be getting a new deal. Plenty of goalies that will pass that. So you so he'll be 6th highest. So it's a short term deal. So now we're back to walking him to UFA, but oh no can't do that. Want him long term. Well that costs.

I believe if 8.5 x 8 was offered Swayman would be in camp today. The Bruins have never taken that path with any player so I'm perfectly fine in assuming that hasn't happened. I've also already mentioned if Swayman is looking for 10 m he is in the wrong.

As for the risk. Every single contract with term has risk. Period. To point to this one as a deal breaker after years of Sweeney throwing away money at bad UFAs is one of the dumbest points of contention. Based on Swayman's career, I don't think that is an issue.

And now we're back to the classic. Swayman should be lucky to do what he does, f***ing upstart kids don't know there place. Take what we deem you should get and thank us for it.
You're right ... I'm from an older generation, I don't believe in entitlement theory

Reactions: BMC

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Bingo

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
So,

If the Bruins haven't offered 8/8, shame on them

If 8/8 was offered to Swayman and he didn't take, it shame on him.

that's all

OK bye.
^ This.

Well, not totally sure about the 8 years (but not totally against it either), but whoever it is that isn’t willing to go to $8(ish) is in the wrong. Problem is we don’t know who that is. Could be either side or could be both.

Reactions: JOKER 192

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
1 year for 8 million

Who says no and why?

You say no because he has NO leverage here.

Swayman is shooting a massive hole through his own career following this advice.

All the term? It's less money. The security sees to that. Specially with lockout protection.

Shorter term like what Mathews did? Fine 3-4 years, doubt the Bruins mind a 7 handle on that. Maybe even an 8.

Anything else is being totally unaware of your situation and market value. And he's gonna suffer for it.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
You say no because he has NO leverage here.

Swayman is shooting a massive hole through his own career following this advice.

All the term? It's less money. The security sees to that. Specially with lockout protection.

Shorter term like what Mathews did? Fine 3-4 years, doubt the Bruins mind a 7 handle on that. Maybe even an 8.

Anything else is being totally unaware of your situation and market value. And he's gonna suffer for it.

His talent is his leverage. Being one of their best, most important players is his leverage. Don Sweeney wanting to remain GM of the Bruins is his leverage.

The Boston Bruins are going to suffer if they go into this season with Korpisalo and Bussi as their goalies.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
When did Sweeney's job start hinging on a Swayman deal? Has that been brought up anywhere besides this board? If you think Sweeney has been a dick in these negotiations, that should make him a favorite with the Jacobs ownership, no? Bruins should have a top 3 blue line in the league and can survive less than top 5 sv% goaltending.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
^ This.

Well, not totally sure about the 8 years (but not totally against it either), but whoever it is that isn’t willing to go to $8(ish) is in the wrong. Problem is we don’t know who that is. Could be either side or could be both.
exactly , if anyone is thinking 9 and up, you're an idiot. That goes for both sides. If that's the case this is gonna take longer than most expected . If that's the case I'm on board for Dec 1st.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
When did Sweeney's job start hinging on a Swayman deal? Has that been brought up anywhere besides this board? If you think Sweeney has been a dick in these negotiations, that should make him a favorite with the Jacobs ownership, no? Bruins should have a top 3 blue line in the league and can survive less than top 5 sv% goaltending.

It hasn't, and that wasn't my point. His job doesn't hinge on this deal getting done.

But his job security will very much be impacted by what happens if they don't sign Swayman. If he trades Swayman and Swayman is a Vezina candidate goalie elsewhere that's not great for Don. If the goalies that replace Swayman aren't good that's really bad for Don, too.

All of which is leverage for Swayman now.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
His talent is his leverage. Being one of their best, most important players is his leverage. Don Sweeney wanting to remain GM of the Bruins is his leverage.

The Boston Bruins are going to suffer if they go into this season with Korpisalo and Bussi as their goalies.

narrator: it isn't

And the organization has just told you as much.

Sweeney has countless more RFAs to sign in the future. He's not setting a very bad precedent here letting bad agents hold the process hostage. You don't cave here because of the next 20 deals. That's all there is to it.

Sway can sit and nuke his career, which is finite. Give it a go kid.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad