Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup? Assuming he has an above average finals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Now that enough time has passed from the game, I just can't see anyone other than McDavid winning the Conn Smythe, even if the Oilers get blown out next game/shutout. His postseason effort deserves recognition.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
A goalie isn't winning the Conn Smythe this year. Like I said a week ago, it's going to be McDavid. There's no way it won't be, no matter who hoists the Cup. McDavid's playoff stats are setting records and are a huge reason the Oilers are in it. Bob's stats, while his performance in the Finals up to Game 3 was legendary, his playoff stats this year are very mortal, no matter how much he means to the team. Oilers were doomed when McDavid wasn't showing up, but when he started to, they started to bury the Cats. That speaks volumes.
Agree with your reasoning on the Smythe.

Truthfully, I've not seen a game this playoff season (I've watched all but 2 of them in earlier rounds) where McDavid didn't show up.

What I think happened after game 2 of the Finals is that he finally rid himself of the "I must pass to Hyman" mindset and took it upon himself to make it happen no matter how he had to.

I have been a huge fan of McDavid since I saw him play in the OHL with Erie, but this post season has made my admiration of his play even greater.

Last edited:

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
It's people like this that are so certain of being right, that I make money gambling.

Dumb opinion, spread as fact.

I love it.

McDavid deserves the Smythe. Breaking assist record, may in fact break the Cup finals points record. Win or lose. Trophies his. For his sake, hope Skinner holds up. That's the only question mark in my "dumb" opinion
I don't gamble. Watch him not win it tho.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He’s gotta be the Smythe winner regardless of what happens from here out. This is the best playoff performance by any skater in 3 decades.

Reactions: BlueSeal

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
The most valuable player for the winning team not the best loser award. If 97 can force game 7 and get 4 goals & 8 points in the next 2 games he likely will, but if they lose in 6 and he doesn’t have a huge game he probably won’t

• Haha
Reactions: zar

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Massive oiler adn Mcdavid fan and I hope they don’t give it to him if the Oilers lose. I think he would hate getting it and would feel embarrassed by it. Give it to Barkov.

Reactions: EXTRAS

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I think McDavid iOS in his prime. If this series go to game 7. It’s his trophy. If this ends in game 6. I expect a panther wins it.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Massive oiler adn Mcdavid fan and I hope they don’t give it to him if the Oilers lose. I think he would hate getting it and would feel embarrassed by it. Give it to Barkov.

If this goes to game 7 and he breaks Gretzky's point record there's not a lot to be embarassed about lol

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
If the series goes to a game 7, continues to rack up points and loses, he might win it. Not sure he gets it in 6 games. Obviously if they win the series, 100%.

Historically, goalies have won the award for losing teams all 5 times it's happened. Standing on their heads. The current implosion of Florida and some of it's top players, makes it interesting for sure.

I honestly think the Smythe should go to a player on the winning team, it should be a requirement. The whole point is to win the cup.

Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
If this goes to game 7 and he breaks Gretzky's point record there's not a lot to be embarassed about lol
I think it’s just the concept of individual recognition in front of the team who just won the prize you really want that’s all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad